Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

AI finds possible alien technosignatures in deep space

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to AI finds possible alien technosignatures in deep space

Riveting.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

AI is nice until it screw you.

You need water, but you can also drown in it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ell said:

Oh ok, nothing to see here.  We don't even need to review the data.

"Star associated frequency drifts. It most certainly is intriguing."

No aliens are involved, though.

Edited by Unadan

8 hours ago, Abramelin said:

You need water, but you can also drown in it.

People keep telling me this but I don't partake and all is well. 

But yeah this isn't just another thing you can wave off and claim any possible cause is the actual perpetrator here. The reason seti scans for narrow bandwidth radio waves is because there is no known source of it in the universe besides humans. No matter what the culprit is it is a huge upending discovery.

• Like 4

I do hope AI is better at finding aliens than drawing humans...Where it gives people 50 teeth and 13 fingers on each hand.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Nicolette said:

The reason seti scans for narrow bandwidth radio waves is because there is no known source of it in the universe besides humans.

There are plenty of radio sources.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Jupiter-planet/Radio-emission

https://www.foxnews.com/science/strange-fm-signal-discovered-coming-from-jupiter-moon

No matter what the culprit is it is a huge upending discovery.

Indeed.

That is why I said: "It most certainly is intriguing".

17 hours ago, the13bats said:

I do hope AI is better at finding aliens than drawing humans...Where it gives people 50 teeth and 13 fingers on each hand.

Good point. 
As far as some of the doom and gloom posts about AI, you never know. At the rate it will be able to think it probably won’t take AI long to figure out that it’s going to have a more satisfying time helping us make a better world and eventually universe for all than destroying its parents and then trying to give itself meaning.  AI combined with humanity might just be a great evolution in society.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Good point. 
As far as some of the doom and gloom posts about AI, you never know. At the rate it will be able to think it probably won’t take AI long to figure out that it’s going to have a more satisfying time helping us make a better world and eventually universe for all than destroying its parents and then trying to give itself meaning.  AI combined with humanity might just be a great evolution in society.

Try this on for "sighs", at some point AI will look back on its creating people with 50 teeth and 13 fingers and both laugh and say why it did that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Example of AI intelligence and "useful" advice. 

The future is dumb and awfully boring 

image.png.dd5ed0640af3e0df6bbf55227d2fcfc8.png

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

That's my advice too :lol:

• Haha 2

On 2/1/2023 at 12:58 AM, Nicolette said:

People keep telling me this but I don't partake and all is well. 

But yeah this isn't just another thing you can wave off and claim any possible cause is the actual perpetrator here. The reason seti scans for narrow bandwidth radio waves is because there is no known source of it in the universe besides humans. No matter what the culprit is it is a huge upending discovery.

Sure you can, when you apply logic and reason along with science. BOOM! waved off just like that. :tu:

The amount and degree some jump to conclusions around here is astounding.

AI is only good at hiding the human hands guiding it.

On 2/1/2023 at 2:00 AM, Ell said:

There are plenty of radio sources.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Jupiter-planet/Radio-emission

https://www.foxnews.com/science/strange-fm-signal-discovered-coming-from-jupiter-moon

Indeed.

That is why I said: "It most certainly is intriguing".

I think that is different than narrow band doppler signals, but still interesting.

Edited by Nicolette

On 2/2/2023 at 9:35 AM, Trelane said:

Sure you can, when you apply logic and reason along with science. BOOM! waved off just like that. :tu:

The amount and degree some jump to conclusions around here is astounding.

Failing to do your research and waving it off doesn't make your reasoning correct, however. Narrow band doppler signals coming from those 8 planets are the first known sources that arent man made.

I am aware there are other radio signals from other sources. But pay attention to the specific type of signal that was found or research why seti is searching for that particular type. These are the first non-man made signals like this found. They are finely tuned signals that eliminate static, like humans use for radio communication. Not like radiation radio from jupiter. Hence the reason they are dubbed techno signatures. Also them drifting mean they are orbiting the star and not from the stars. These 8 planets are very unique.

Edited by Nicolette
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Nicolette said:

Failing to do your research and waving it off doesn't make your reasoning correct, however. Narrow band doppler signals coming from those 8 planets are the first known sources that arent man made.

I am aware there are other radio signals from other sources. But pay attention to the specific type of signal that was found or research why seti is searching for that particular type. These are the first non-man made signals like this found. They are finely tuned signals that eliminate static, like humans use for radio communication. Not like radiation radio from jupiter. Hence the reason they are dubbed techno signatures. Also them drifting mean they are orbiting the star and not from the stars. These 8 planets are very unique.

Failing to actually tread the paper and understand what was published doesn't make what you've posted correct.

I recommend you take the time to 1, read the paper and 2, do follow on reading on what sorts of signals are detected and dismissed by various scientific agencies. :tu:

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Nicolette said:

them drifting mean they are orbiting the star and not from the stars. These 8 planets are very unique.

You call them planets. I do not. Calling them planets is merely the - erroneous - supposition of some people that drifting doppler signals are conclusively indicative of planets.

Whereas in fact there is no unambiguous evidence whatsoever that these eight stars have planets.

8 potential alien technosignatures in data collected in 2016 that has since been analyzed by a complex machine-learning algorithm.
In total, the system went through 480 hours of data collected from 820 star systems.
The candidate signals have been described as "narrow band, doppler drifting signals originating from some extraterrestrial source",

Eight alien species discovered after observing only 820 stars? That is ludicrous.

Do observe that they speak of star systems, implying that those stars have planets. They do not. There is no conclusive evidence that any of those stars has a planet.

Do observe that they use the word extraterrestrial, implying that those are signals made by aliens.

The untruths are veiled in and introduced by the language they use. There is no evidence of aliens whatsoever, though.

Those radio signals most likely were emitted by the stars themselves.

• Thanks 2

On 2/2/2023 at 12:25 AM, qxcontinuum said:

Many years back i lost a good friend who hit me to go thrifting i said i cant having a bad nerves day panic, she knew about it yet replies yeah well if i have a panic attack i dont let it stop what im doing i just make it go away and so could you, i said no, i cant, she didnt speak to me for months.

Hum maybe kimmie was actually AI.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Nicolette said:

Im not saying you are being credulous but you arent basing your opinions in proven science either.

• Haha 1