Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Case For Intelligent Design (ID)

Only_

Stephen C. Meyer makes a great case for why an Intelligent agent (God) is the best explanation for the origin of the Universe as opposed to Darwinism or materialism/naturalism.

I'm not christian, so this isn't a thread about Christianity or even religion at all. It's a science-based, or metaphysical discussion.

Please share your thoughts.

Edited by Only_
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Hi @Only_, what’s his ‘great case’?

I provided two Youtube lectures above if you want to go in-depth about why Intelligent Design (ID) makes sense.

Edited by Only_

57 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Isn't this in the wrong section?

There's some philosophy to it (metaphysics). I didn't want to put it in the spirituality/religion section, as I though people would mistake this for a discussion on religion.

I also didn't want to put it in the science section, as it would have been too controversial.

Edited by Only_
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Only_ said:

Stephen C. Meyer makes a great case for why an Intelligent agent (God) is the best explanation for the origin of the Universe as opposed to Darwinism or materialism/naturalism.

I'm not christian, so this isn't a thread about Christianity or even religion at all. It's a science-based, or metaphysical discussion.

Please share your thoughts.

Darwin’s theory of evolution, does not attempt to explain the origin of the Universe ?   Materialism/Physicalism is a belief…that everything is physical.  ?  As for Naturalism, all that exists is Natural..  there is no such thing as SuperNatural?   (more than natural)  

Edited by lightly
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Only_ said:

There's some philosophy to it (metaphysics). I didn't want to put it in the spirituality/religion section, as I though people would mistake this for a discussion on religion.

I also didn't want to put it in the science section, as it would have been too controversial.

It's not too controversial for the science section.

It's not science. It's religion bastardising scientific terms. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

Hi @Only_, what’s his ‘great case’?

A lack of fossil evidence for key Cambrian ancestors. He thinks the Cambrian just suddenly had animals.

Which isn't actually true. He's completely ignoring molecular evolution to come to an erroneous conclusion.

It's sad that people take this charlatan at his word and don't bother with any fact checking at all. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Only_ said:

I provided two Youtube lectures above if you want to go in-depth about why Intelligent Design (ID) makes sense.

I’d prefer a quick summary over going in-depth.

Usually not worth the time to go in-depth with these things.

That seems the case in this instance.

But feel free to provide more info. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

If our world is intelligent design, what would a really smart god have come up with?

I'm serious about this: I always think it a shame we have carnivores. Innocent animals, trying to live their best life brutally killed and consumed, sometimes leaving young to starve. If I designed a world I would populate it with herbivores, or animals that obtained nutrients from the atmosphere which would contain a nourishing mist (I'm God, I can design that if I want).

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Thr case for stupid design - junk DNA and the fact that the recreation facility is next to waste disposal.

Next to?

1 minute ago, Ell said:

genitalia and anus

Yeah, that pretty much agrees with my extensive research on Only Fans.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

I'm serious about this: I always think it a shame we have carnivores. Innocent animals, trying to live their best life brutally killed and consumed, sometimes leaving young to starve. If I designed a world I would populate it with herbivores, or animals that obtained nutrients from the atmosphere which would contain a nourishing mist (I'm God, I can design that if I want).

Hi Pellinore

Why not make everything so they don’t have to eat anything

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

Without carnivores, what ought to be done with all the rotting dead corpses littering the plains and seas and woods?

Without carnivores, how to end the suffering of animals with broken legs, intestinal pains, suppurating wounds and toothaches?

Without carnivores, how to stop diseases from contaminating entire populations of animals?

Without carnivores, how to end the suffering of the aging elderly animals?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ell said:

Without carnivores, what ought to be done with all the rotting dead corpses littering the plains and seas and woods?

If you're god you can do anything. 

So do away with death. 

When we run out of room create a close planet with a viable bridge to cross. Repeat as necessary.

5 minutes ago, Ell said:

Without carnivores, how to end the suffering of animals with broken legs, intestinal pains, suppurating wounds and toothaches?

So make everything pain free and instant regeneration of any part of a body. Reformation or regrowth of scattered parts right down to a molecular level. Like the liquid terminator. 

Alternatively, make every being indestructible.

5 minutes ago, Ell said:

Without carnivores, how to stop diseases from contaminating entire populations of animals?

Don't create disease.

5 minutes ago, Ell said:

Stop ageing at a useful age. Mid twenties or something. Overcrowding was dealt with in step.one. 

Damn.

I feel like a creationist. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Pellinore

The activities of living use energy, which has to be replaced. Even thinking needs energy. Otherwise I wouldn't have created life, just inanimate objects like stones.

22 minutes ago, Ell said:

There would be no death, animals would be able to endlessly regenerate their cells. I wouldn't make harmful viruses or bacteria, so no suppuration or toothache. Ell, you have to think outside the box when you're creating a new world. You'e falling into the same traps God did, lack of imagination.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

So do away with death. 

When we run out of room create a close planet with a viable bridge to cross. Repeat as necessary.

So make everything pain free and instant regeneration of any part of a body. Reformation or regrowth of scattered parts right down to a molecular level. Like the liquid terminator. 

Alternatively, make every being indestructible.

Don't create disease.

Stop ageing at a useful age. Mid twenties or something. Overcrowding was dealt with in step.one. 

Damn.

I feel like a creationist. :lol:

You can live in my world, you've got the right attitude.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, pellinore said:

You can live in my world, you've got the right attitude.

Cheers :tu:

It's crazy how people get upset with Lucifer for wanting to take over.

I mean even you and I can knock together a better model! And we're not even omnipotent! 

I'd make horses grow into friendly luck dragon's.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh0ZriyoBo0Wrk36Q8Qhi

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, pellinore said:

The activities of living use energy, which has to be replaced. Even thinking needs energy. Otherwise I wouldn't have created life, just inanimate objects like stones.

Allow energy to be created!

;)

This is getting to be fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Pellinore

I’m not sure I’d want to live in a world without ice cream and mini chocolate covered donuts.     and coffee.   Thank you Lord.  :P

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, pellinore said:

Hi Pellinore

Superman/Clark Kent doesn’t have to eat

• Like 1