Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cultural Betrayal Trauma Theory’ Adds Another Devastating Layer to Recent Shootings

Grim Reaper 6

After having spent the first 17 years of my life in Southern California, I finally returned to my home state in 2021, living this time in San Mateo County where Half Moon Bay is. Having since moved 3,000 miles away to Boston, my memories of California are now tainted with grief from the two recent mass shootings in Half Moon Bay and Monterey Park that resulted in innocent people’s deaths, injuries, and immeasurable grief. Like many others, I worried these were racist attacks against people of Asian and Latino descent, given the context of anti-Asian, anti-Latino, anti-immigrant, and pro-white nationalist rhetoric, hate, and violence.

A cultural betrayal in violence can make dangerous the places, spaces, and relationships that we so need to be safe. Why? Our society of white supremacist discrimination and oppression is the reason why many feared that white people’s racist hate was the motivation for these murderous shootings. As painful as that would have been, what could have remained was solidarity within the Asian American community—the notion that “we still have us, and we will support each other as we combat this violent oppression.” With the alleged shooters both being of Asian descent, the solidarity and safety within the “us” is tarnished.

In a study I conducted in 2015, AAPI participants completed a survey that asked about their mental health and experiences of physical, sexual, and psychological violence. The research findings show that violence within the community is linked with symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), hallucinations, and hypervigilance. Importantly, when the impact of violence from outsiders is statistically accounted for, cultural betrayal trauma is still linked with these mental health outcomes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cultural-betrayal-trauma-theory-adds-another-devastating-layer-to-recent-shootings/ar-AA16ZliC?cvid=f3d7cfb5b52c4964b7e86f0346c37319

It would help if USA females did not get themselves fertilized by all the (circumcized) psychopath and narcissist males that are endemic in the USA.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 2/1/2023 at 4:01 AM, Ell said:

It would help if USA females did not get themselves fertilized by all the (circumcized) psychopath and narcissist males that are endemic in the USA.

What's next?  Are you going to start chanting for us to bring down the patriarchy?

• Haha 4

On 2/1/2023 at 4:01 AM, Ell said:

Since these mass shootings were done by Asians, I think USA females are innocent of this sin.

• Like 2

My research with cultural betrayal trauma theory provides some insight. The crux of cultural betrayal trauma theory is fairly intuitive. It is that Black, Indigenous, and other People of Color (BIPOC), as well as other marginalized groups like the LGBTQ+ community, develop solidarity with each other to protect ourselves from the discrimination and oppression we face.

This is historically true. Its the reason a police shooting of a black guy gets a ton of community support and serves as a rally cry. Because historically black people had to do that to get any attention to what was happening to them. There are tons of Jim crow examples of this where white cops on small towns would literally just kills black kids and cover it up like noenthing happened.

Its what leads to what we see today when a black death causes a strong reaction. White people don't act the same from white police deaths because historically we didn't really need to as much 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

So this is an article written by some one trying to explain how it's white peoples fault when people ethnically different from white people kill each other?  Trauma from being discriminated against by police and government and society in general causes these people to hate themselves and their culture and betray that culture?  Just....WOW.  People obsessed with race and their own victimhood would come up with such a conclusion.  Way over thought IMO.  These murderous acts by these Asian men on other Asians happened because Asian people were there when they opened fire.  That's my explanation.  No need to blame anyone for racism or cultural bias.  Murderous messed up in the head people murdered some people.  Why?  Because they're mentally imbalanced.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So this is an article written by some one trying to explain how it's white peoples fault when people ethnically different from white people kill each other?  Trauma from being discriminated against by police and government and society in general causes these people to hate themselves and their culture and betray that culture?  Just....WOW.  People obsessed with race and their own victimhood would come up with such a conclusion.  Way over thought IMO.  These murderous acts by these Asian men on other Asians happened because Asian people were there when they opened fire.  That's my explanation.  No need to blame anyone for racism or cultural bias.  Murderous messed up in the head people murdered some people.  Why?  Because they're mentally imbalanced.

I didn't read that far into it. But yeah at some point the oppression narrative will have to go. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

This is historically true. Its the reason a police shooting of a black guy gets a ton of community support and serves as a rally cry. Because historically black people had to do that to get any attention to what was happening to them. There are tons of Jim crow examples of this where white cops on small towns would literally just kills black kids and cover it up like noenthing happened.

Its what leads to what we see today when a black death causes a strong reaction. White people don't act the same from white police deaths because historically we didn't really need to as much 

But does it explain "cultural betrayal"?  Why did the black people murder the black people?  That's what this BS cultural betrayal theory is trying to do, place blame on someone not Asian for the actions of Asians. 

If I read that wrong I'm sorry but it seemed ultimately that's what the gist of the article is.  She expects white people to kill Asians but not Asians to kill Asians and that is where the pain comes from.  Ignore the fact that people most often kill people of their own race.  

• Like 1

Oh, another "blame the whites" thread. Moving on.

Edit: wow, a new naughty word. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Oh, another "blame the whites" thread. Moving on.

Edit: wow, a new naughty word. 

Honky? Cracker?  nope

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, OverSword said:

What's next?  Are you going to start chanting for us to bring down the patriarchy?

It seems more like what @Ell said was against women, not men.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

On 2/1/2023 at 4:50 AM, Grim Reaper 6 said:

After having spent the first 17 years of my life in Southern California, I finally returned to my home state in 2021, living this time in San Mateo County where Half Moon Bay is. Having since moved 3,000 miles away to Boston, my memories of California are now tainted with grief from the two recent mass shootings in Half Moon Bay and Monterey Park that resulted in innocent people’s deaths, injuries, and immeasurable grief. Like many others, I worried these were racist attacks against people of Asian and Latino descent, given the context of anti-Asian, anti-Latino, anti-immigrant, and pro-white nationalist rhetoric, hate, and violence.

A cultural betrayal in violence can make dangerous the places, spaces, and relationships that we so need to be safe. Why? Our society of white supremacist discrimination and oppression is the reason why many feared that white people’s racist hate was the motivation for these murderous shootings. As painful as that would have been, what could have remained was solidarity within the Asian American community—the notion that “we still have us, and we will support each other as we combat this violent oppression.” With the alleged shooters both being of Asian descent, the solidarity and safety within the “us” is tarnished.

In a study I conducted in 2015, AAPI participants completed a survey that asked about their mental health and experiences of physical, sexual, and psychological violence. The research findings show that violence within the community is linked with symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), hallucinations, and hypervigilance. Importantly, when the impact of violence from outsiders is statistically accounted for, cultural betrayal trauma is still linked with these mental health outcomes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cultural-betrayal-trauma-theory-adds-another-devastating-layer-to-recent-shootings/ar-AA16ZliC?cvid=f3d7cfb5b52c4964b7e86f0346c37319

This is the biggest problem, the news jumps on a story and skews the facts to lead people into fear.  The same thing happened a few months ago in Albuquerque.   Two people were murdered on the street and they happened to be muslim so the headlines were about a hate crime based on religion, when in fact it was a family matter that escaataled to murder.  All parties were related or knew each other and belonged to the same mosque.  Anyone who bases anything on headlines before the actual facts have been released is an idiot, and I have to include myself in that, it is a bad habit we have been trained to and we all need to step back and stop letting media and politicians trigger us emotionally.  There is a purpose to keep us afraid of each other, much easier to manipulate us into giving more of our rights and money to corporations and politicians.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 2/1/2023 at 1:01 PM, Ell said:

Like we don't have those in our country...

• Thanks 2

On 2/1/2023 at 7:01 AM, Ell said:

Generalizations are a fools game.

• Like 1

Mental illness is EOO and nondiscriminatory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

People obsessed with race and their own victimhood would come up with such a conclusion.  Way over thought IMO.  These murderous acts by these Asian men on other Asians happened because Asian people were there when they opened fire.  That's my explanation.  No need to blame anyone for racism or cultural bias.  Murderous messed up in the head people murdered some people.  Why?  Because they're mentally imbalanced.

If it's 'Asian people were there when they opened fire' and not anything to with them being Asian, then what is the explanation for the increase in Asian hate crimes?  More Asians just out and about than there were before?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/03/us/anti-asian-attacks.html

image.png.4456e69e9bbd561046861b9e00fe06d1.png 

26 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

If it's 'Asian people were there when they opened fire' and not anything to with them being Asian, then what is the explanation for the increase in Asian hate crimes?  More Asians just out and about than there were before?

So are you saying these Asian men mass shooting Asians in their own community is due to Anti-Asian hate from white people?

One thing I can say about assaults against Asians here is that the perpetrators being schizzed out homeless crack heads has more to do with it than the victims race and seem more crimes of wrong place wrong time.  Every time they show videos of assaults on Asians here they are crazy homeless men attacking people where a lot of crazy homeless people live, the International District formerly known as China Town.  Guess what?  A lot of Asians live there too.  One such attack happened to a woman thrown down some stairs and a few hours later that same guy randomly killed a white kid.  Numbers mean something but they sure don't mean everything.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

So, all these hate crimes are causing Asians to mass murder Asians?:huh:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

This is the biggest problem, the news jumps on a story and skews the facts to lead people into fear.  The same thing happened a few months ago in Albuquerque.   Two people were murdered on the street and they happened to be muslim so the headlines were about a hate crime based on religion, when in fact it was a family matter that escaataled to murder.  All parties were related or knew each other and belonged to the same mosque.  Anyone who bases anything on headlines before the actual facts have been released is an idiot

I totally agree with you and much of the problem that occurs is pushed by the Leftwing, RightWing, and the religious extremist arm of our political parties. So, like you said it’s impossible to take things at face value, but fear:lol: I don’t get the fear angle personally, but I can imagine that many older Americans are frightened in these turbulent times. So, yea I agree basing things on headlines alone is a huge mistake that leads to confusion. I mean look at many of the posts made in this thread there is a great deal of confusion concerning the intent of this thread , now that you mention it I do smell some fear!:devil:

13 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

and I have to include myself in that, it is a bad habit we have been trained to and we all need to step back and stop letting media and politicians trigger us emotionally.  There is a purpose to keep us afraid of each other, much easier to manipulate us into giving more of our rights and money to corporations and politicians.

Well you’re much better off than others because you understand and see your problem which means it’s no longer a problem for you.  Yes fear does have a very important purpose, however to use fear correctly you must control it and channel it. I know with your military background you have heard this before” STAY ALERT - STAY ALIVE well they are talking about using fear to keep one on their toes.

Take Care, I will send that package on Thursday, my wife and I both tested negative at the hospital this morning so we where allowed to break Quarantine this morning, oh the fresh Air!:D

This is how I manage and control fear, I am certain you have heard this song before!:devil:

9 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

So, all these hate crimes are causing Asians to mass murder Asians?:huh:

No here in Korea, I don’t think you would even be able to identify an Asian Hate crime, unless it was Chinese or Korean Asians attacking a .Japanese Asian or Vice Versa.:lol:

Whats crazy is that each Asian group can identify the other by sight alone, I have no idea how they do it because honestly they all look the same to me!:D

14 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Great post, and a great explanation it’s obvious your background serves you well and allows you to understand and clearly see the truth!

Thanks Spartan:tu:

14 hours ago, OverSword said:

So are you saying these Asian men mass shooting Asians in their own community is due to Anti-Asian hate from white people?

14 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

So, all these hate crimes are causing Asians to mass murder Asians?

No, not necessarily, I'm questioning Oversword's explanation for this which was "These murderous acts by these Asian men on other Asians happened because Asian people were there when they opened fire.  That's my explanation".  Now at some level that is obvious, Asian people who are not around aren't being attacked, duh, but 'they just happen to be there'  doesn't seem to explain the apparent stats.  If part of the explanation is mentally imbalanced schizzed out homeless crack heads, then why are they apparently attacking asians now/recently more than they did before, when attacks on others were not increasing? 

There are reasons to question these stats of course, but if true or close I don't think the above explanation of essentially just randomness explains this increase.  Are Asians doing something that's more likely to make them a victim now than before if it doesn't have to do with their ethnicity?  Are the morons thinking asians are to blame for the pandemic causing the increase?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

No, not necessarily, I'm questioning Oversword's explanation for this which was "These murderous acts by these Asian men on other Asians happened because Asian people were there when they opened fire.  That's my explanation".  Now at some level that is obvious, Asian people who are not around aren't being attacked, duh, but 'they just happen to be there'  doesn't seem to explain the apparent stats.  If part of the explanation is mentally imbalanced schizzed out homeless crack heads, then why are they apparently attacking asians now/recently more than they did before, when attacks on others were not increasing? 

There are reasons to question these stats of course, but if true or close I don't think the above explanation of essentially just randomness explains this increase.  Are Asians doing something that's more likely to make them a victim now than before if it doesn't have to do with their ethnicity?  Are the morons thinking asians are to blame for the pandemic causing the increase?

More likely Asians are targeted by non-Asians because they are Asians and the Asian-on-Asian violence indicative of internecine strife within the Asian community as a whole. Asians were targets of hate crimes by non-Asians before Covid. Covid was just more grist for the hate-mill. Of course, mental instability factors in for both kinds of assault, as well.

• Like 4