Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

North Carolina: 14-year-old boy dies during his first rodeo bull ride

Still Waters

A 14-year-old boy has died while riding a bull for the first time at a rodeo in North Carolina.

It happened at the Rafter K Rodeo Winter Series at the American Legion Post 290 venue in the city of King on Saturday, officials said.

The rider was named as Denim Bradshaw by event organisers in a Facebook post.

Paramedics were called to the scene following a report of a cardiac arrest. The teenager was taken to hospital where he later died.

https://news.sky.com/story/north-carolina-14-year-old-boy-dies-during-his-first-rodeo-bull-ride-12800402

• Sad 9

I never heard of a rodeo allowing a boy to ride bull that had never been on one before.   :angry:

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I never heard of a rodeo allowing a boy to ride bull that had never been on one before.   :angry:

Normally they start the younger cowboys on steers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Normally they start the younger cowboys on steers.

And Normally the kids are trained before they ever compete.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

You know maybe it’s just me, but I think his parents are responsible for this tragic incident, really really sad!:no:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

You know maybe it’s just me, but I think his parents are responsible for this tragic incident, really really sad!:no:

I suspect they are not rodeo people not cattle people, and just wanted to fulfil some dream for their son without researching it.   The people running the rodeo need to take some responsibility as well.  Usually 14 year old boys who compete in bull riding at a rodeo have been practicing since their age was still one digit.   The rodeo people should have known this was the boys first ride.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I first thought that they meant it was his first time riding at the rodeo in North Caroline.   I just assumed he probably had ridden bulls before.

After reading it,it looks like it was really his first time ever on a bull.   

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I suspect they are not rodeo people not cattle people, and just wanted to fulfil some dream for their son without researching it.   The people running the rodeo need to tak e some responsibility as well.  Usually 14 year old boys who compete in bull riding at a rodeo have been practicing since their age was still one digit.   The rodeo people should have known this was the boys first ride.

I know nothing about Rodeos, but I do like country music!:lol: But, what you said above certainly makes sense, so I defer to your knowledge on the subject. It‘s horrible that this child lost his life because of the ignorance of adults,:tu:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I know nothing about Rodeos, but I do like country music!:lol: But, what you said above certainly makes sense, so I defer to your knowledge on the subject. It‘s horrible that this child lost his life because of the ignorance of adults,:tu:

I grew up with horses and some cousins who loved rodeo competition.  They competed in barrel racing, goat roping, steer roping, and two of the boys road bulls.   And the younger kids (6 to 12) do start out on steers, part of the training.   Any 14 year old beginner would not be riding a bull and a 14 year old beginner is like a unicorn in some places.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

He died of a heat attack?

Hi El

Not sure we read the same article as I saw the bull stomped on the boys chest. Where did you see heat attack which I am assuming is a heat stroke.

• Like 1

Sorry, that was “heart attack”. I guess more accurately a “cardiac arrest”.

Paramedics were called to the scene following a report of a cardiac arrest. The teenager was taken to hospital where he later died.”

It almost sounds like the cardiac arrest was a different incident. 

• Like 1

To be fair, when a bull stomps on your chest your heart can stop.  That's literally what cardiac arrest means.  

As for the kid, it's tragic but the whole point of bull riding is the danger and everyone has to have a first time before they can have a second time and so on.  

• Like 1

Im sorry when anyone dies expecially a kid and i am a bit mud headed lately i read the link seems maybe the bull stomping his chest stopped or crushed his heart, i recall when johhny knoxville wanted to be shot with a beanbag the expert made him wear a chest protector saying a hit to the chest could stop his heart.

Normally any event that has people participate its the responsibility of the event operators to be sure a participant is up to par in skills, training and health.

If i had a kid who wanted to do some life threatening hobby i sure would be 100% sure they were up to par, im not sure who i blame more here parents or the rodeo.