Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

“Reckless and cruel”: House GOP quietly kills civil rights panel days after Tyre Nichols video

Grim Reaper 6

House Republicans on the Oversight and Accountability Committee dissolved the panel's Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties amid nationwide calls for police accountability and criminal justice reform. GOP Oversight members shot down Democrats' effort to reinstate the disbanded panel in a party-line vote on Tuesday. The panel's shutdown comes just days after the city of Memphis released video of several white Memphis police officers brutally beating Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man, during a traffic stop days before he died from his injuries. Renewed calls for civil rights protections and police oversight quickly followed, with the Congressional Black Caucus and Senate Democrats urging conversations on federal reform efforts. Nichols' family members are expected to attend President Joe Biden's upcoming State of the Union address. 

"In the midst of this tragedy and nationwide time of grief, the House Oversight Committee Chairman made a reckless and cruel decision to eliminate the vital Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Subcommittee when we need this subcommittee's leadership and insight the most. This is an abject failure by one of the most powerful committees in the House of Representatives," Crockett said. "Systemic policing and extremist violence are killing people, devastating our communities, and breaking the hearts of families we took an oath to defend and protect at all costs ... I will be consulting the Chairman and House Republicans to bring back accountability and transparency to one of the most influential Committees in Congress."

“Reckless and cruel”: House GOP quietly kills civil rights panel days after Tyre Nichols video (msn.com)

\

Edited by Grim Reaper 6

2 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

several white Memphis police officers brutally beating Tyre Nichols

Is that accurate?  Could have swore they were not white.

But anyway...they didn't shut the sub-committee down but stopped it from being reinstated. I don't agree with that move, and would guess it's part of an misguided effort to show more solidarity with the nations police forces than they have been getting for a few years?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, OverSword said:

But anyway...they didn't shut the sub-committee down but stopped it from being reinstated. I don't agree with that move, and would guess it's part of a misguided effort to show more solidarity with the nations police forces than they have been getting for a few years?

That’s not Manny’s mistake, either, they are described as white in the article. 
Sheesh … that’s a big error to make, if it is an error. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

But anyway...they didn't shut the sub-committee down but stopped it from being reinstated

Well, it doesn't matter, whether it was shut down or if it is not being reinstated, because its apples and orange either way because they did intentionally disbanded Committee. I certainly don't agree with it either, and here is the problem by doing away with it. Without that committee now everything must go before the General Committee, which will only increase the time it will take to begin an investigation. This is actually criminal in nature because our Nation is a powder keg and allowing any civil rights issue to sit on the back burner will only increase the chance of a volent outcome.

It's pretty dam obvious why they did this, and that is to sweep some issues under the rug. However, the problem with that way of thinking is simple this decision seems racist in nature, even thoug

4 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

That’s not Manny’s mistake, either, they are described as white in the article. 
Sheesh … that’s a big error to make, if it is an error. 

To be honest, when I started this thread, I completely missed it, But I certainly agree that is a huge mistake to make!:tu:

• Like 1