Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mexico zoo chief accused of ordering pygmy goats to be killed and cooked for party

Still Waters

The former director of a zoo in southern Mexico killed four of the zoo’s pygmy goats and served them up at a Christmas-season party, authorities have alleged.

“These four animals [were] slaughtered and cooked on the zoo’s premises, and were served as food at the year-end party,” said Fernando Ruiz Gutierrez, the state environment department’s director of wildlife, blaming the zoo’s director at the time, José Rubén Nava. “This put the health of the people who ate them at risk, because these animals were not fit for human consumption.”

Rubén Nava had been replaced as director of the local zoo in the city of Chilpancingo on 12 January following the death of a deer there. But officials said on Tuesday that an investigation found some animals in the zoo had allegedly been sold, traded or eaten under Nava’s orders.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/02/mexico-zoo-chief-accused-of-ordering-pygmy-goats-to-be-killed-and-cooked-for-party

• Sad 3

I want to say that I think this story is in poor taste, but that likely depends on how long the cooking was and what sauce was used.

I didn't realize pygmy goats are not fit for human consumption.