Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery of dog-walker who has vanished

pellinore

18 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

On Monday, Bob Eastwood, a former chief superintendent at Lancashire Police, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: “Only yesterday there were people purporting to be the media that quite clearly weren’t and they were climbing over the fence to take pictures of the body that the police were recovering.

"This is something else.”

Bulley's disappearance has drawn so-called "TikTok detectives" to the area, with her friends and family and police speaking out about their intrusion.

Earlier this month, a friend of Bulley said many visitors were using the scene of her disappearance as a "tourist spot" to take selfies for posting on social media.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nicola-bulley-body-found-river-latest-public-photograph-updates-133316990.html

The photo of her body being pulled out of the river on YouTube is just a disgrace.

Identification is going to take DNA on this one, the rot had set in.

Edited by Cookie Monster

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Rivers flow one way, not both ways like a tide.  

Tidal rivers do have some flow back inland with the tide. They had to build the Thames barrier because the sewage from the city would get washed back in every day.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Setton said:

Tidal rivers do have some flow back inland with the tide. They had to build the Thames barrier because the sewage from the city would get washed back in every day.

Y'all dump sewage into the waterways?

2 hours ago, Setton said:

No idea what you are going on about, its a storm and tidal surge barrier.

Unless there is a storm or tidal surge it stays open.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Michelle said:

Y'all dump sewage into the waterways?

4 hours ago, Setton said:

Yes, the right to dump raw sewage into our seas and rivers is one of the reasons we voted for Brexit:

Sewage pollution in England’s waters - House of Lords Library (parliament.uk)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

Yes, the right to dump raw sewage into our seas and rivers is one of the reasons we voted for Brexit:

Yes, I looked it up and found a lot of information.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/01/06/where-is-the-dirtiest-water-in-the-uk-this-new-map-tracks-sewage-dumping

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Michelle said:

The wealthy elite in the UK persuaded the poorer people to vote for Brexit so they could 'take back control' of laws and regulations the EU introduced to improve quality of life: things like paid holidays, maternity leave, safety at work regulations, etc. Jacob Rees Mogg has introduced a bill to tear up over 4000 laws adopted while the UK was a member of the EU, to strip away these rights. One of them is the obligation of water companies to ensure waste water is safe and cleansed:Brexit: Britain’s ‘uncontrolled’ sewage dumps may breach trade deal, warns EU | The Independent

The 'Brexit Freedoms' are the freedoms for companies to maximise profits for shareholders without obligations to basic standards EU countries value. It only makes sense if you are a millionaire.

It seems the UK is moving backwards as far as private wealth is concerned- compulsory heat pumps, electric vehicles, running down public transport, reducing social spending on health, education and housing- all prioritises the wealthy. The average UK citizen is projected to be poorer than the average citizen in Slovenia in 2024.(nothing against Slovenia, of course).Britain and the US are poor societies with some very rich people | Financial Times (ft.com)

Edited by pellinore
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, pellinore said:

The wealthy elite in the UK persuaded the poorer people to vote for Brexit so they could 'take back control' of laws and regulations the EU introduced to improve quality of life: things like paid holidays, maternity leave, safety at work regulations, etc. Jacob Rees Mogg has introduced a bill to tear up over 4000 laws adopted while the UK was a member of the EU, to strip away these rights. One of them is the obligation of water companies to ensure waste water is safe and cleansed:Brexit: Britain’s ‘uncontrolled’ sewage dumps may breach trade deal, warns EU | The Independent

The 'Brexit Freedoms' are the freedoms for companies to maximise profits for shareholders without obligations to basic standards EU countries value. It only makes sense if you are a millionaire.

It seems the UK is moving backwards as far as private wealth is concerned- compulsory heat pumps, electric vehicles, running down public transport, reducing social spending on health, education and housing- all prioritises the wealthy. The average UK citizen is projected to be poorer than the average citizen in Slovenia in 2024.(nothing against Slovenia, of course).Britain and the US are poor societies with some very rich people | Financial Times (ft.com)

There are other threads for Brexit topics, please stop the derailment.

4 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

There are other threads for Brexit topics, please stop the derailment.

It is on topic. The lack of clarity in UK waters was a crucial factor in this mystery. So is the lack of money to fund the police properly. Though the fact that UK citizens couldn't use our beaches in the heatwave is not directly related, of course. 

Ofcom writes to Sky and ITV after complaints from Nicola Bulley’s family

Ofcom has contacted Sky and ITV about complaints made by the family of Nicola Bulley that the broadcasters intruded on their grief when they had asked for privacy after the discovery of her body.

The broadcasting regulator said it was “extremely concerned” to hear the comments from the family of Bulley, whose body was identified on Monday after being pulled from a Lancashire river after a near month-long search.

The unusually frank statement named the two broadcasters specifically and called for the media and public to be “held accountable” for what had been an “appalling” experience.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/feb/21/nicola-bulley-family-complaints-ofcom-sky-itv

Broadcasting regulator Ofcom has said it was "extremely concerned" to hear complaints made about ITV and Sky News by the family of Nicola Bulley.

Ofcom said it had written to both "to ask them to explain their actions".

The family said the broadcasters contacted them despite their appeal for privacy on Sunday when a body - later confirmed to be that of the 45-year-old mother-of-two - was found in a river.

ITV said it will cooperate fully with Ofcom. Sky News has yet to comment.

Nicola Bulley: Ofcom 'extremely concerned' by family media complaints - BBC News

Edited by pellinore

Police handling of the disappearance of Nicola Bulley is to be the subject of an independent review, Lancashire's police and crime commissioner has said.

Andrew Snowden has commissioned the College of Policing to review the case including the force's release of personal information about Ms Bulley.

Lancashire Police had "done their utmost" but "the narrative has been lost at times", he said.

The force said it welcomed the review and was "keen to take the opportunity to learn".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-64733004

41 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

There is going to be an inquest so looking like not murder but suicide.

Why don't you show some respect and put a sock in it.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

There is going to be an inquest so looking like not murder but suicide.

Hi Cookie

There is always an inquest so not sure what your point is.

4 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Cookie

There is always an inquest so not sure what your point is.

It's a terribly sad case. I think the police failed to respond adequately when they were called to the home visit some time prior. I think they failed to refer her to other agencies for help. It would explain why they considered her vulnerable when she first went missing, and then clumsily disclosed personal details- trying to cover their mistake. The problem is, hindsight is a wonderful thing. People have to make a judgement call, they can't keep covering their asses by making referrals which might not be appropriate. It will all come out at the inquest.

Edited by pellinore

2 minutes ago, pellinore said:

It's a terribly sad case. I think the police failed to respond adequately when they were called to the home visit some time prior. I think they failed to refer her to other agencies for help. It would explain why they considered her vulnerable when she first went missing, and then clumsily disclosed personal details- trying to cover their mistake. The problem is, hindsight is a wonderful thing. People have to make a judgement call, they can't keep covering their asses by making referrals which might not be appropriate. It will all come out at the inquest.

Hi Pellinore

She may have just fallen in by accident which will be part of the inquest. Most of your posts tends towards suicide or murder which is still inappropriate.

11 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Pellinore

She may have just fallen in by accident which will be part of the inquest. Most of your posts tends towards suicide or murder which is still inappropriate.

Not true at all. All my posts have been direct quotes from other sources, except for one speculation of mine that I hoped she was still alive somewhere. Apart from my last of course, which is a perfectly normal and informed opinion. It is ridiculous to imply any speculation about suicide or murderer is "inappropriate"- we are not pre-school children.

Edited by pellinore

13 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Not true at all. All my posts have been direct quotes from other sources, except for one speculation of mine that I hoped she was still alive somewhere. Apart from my last of course, which is a perfectly normal and informed opinion. It is ridiculous to imply any speculation about suicide or murderer is "inappropriate"- we are not pre-school children.

Hi Pellinore

Auto corrupt added an s to post and was not intended as all of your posts. Okay yes you can speculate but do have to wonder why you think the system failed her before hearing what is determined in the inquest. If she fell in then making accusations of how the system failed her is inappropriate, which is just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Pellinore

Auto corrupt added an s to post and was not intended as all of your posts. Okay yes you can speculate but do have to wonder why you think the system failed her before hearing what is determined in the inquest. If she fell in then making accusations of how the system failed her is inappropriate, which is just my opinion.

My job has always been involved with multi-agency referrals, that's why I wasn't being judgmental. I was just trying to throw some light on the situation. To suggest speculating whether a lone female is murdered (all to frequent), commits suicide, or "just falls into a river naturally" is not of interest or inappropriate is barmy. Any of the outcomes is important and of public interest.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pellinore said:

My job has always been involved with multi-agency referrals, that's why I wasn't being judgmental. I was just trying to throw some light on the situation. To suggest speculating whether a lone female is murdered (all to frequent), commits suicide, or "just falls into a river naturally" is not of interest or inappropriate is barmy. Any of the outcomes is important and of public interest.

Hi Pellinore

I made a simple comment and my last post ended with it is my opinion which was not throwing down the glove in challenge.

Personal experience with agency referrals is basically I can’t help you but call this guy that guy and the other guy as they might be able to help you. Generally speaking each of them will tell you how they can’t help and refer you to someone else so I don’t bother looking for help and rather than letting a bunch of people waste my time jumping hoops go find a way to fix the problem myself. My time has a dollar value and wasting my time so they can earn a paycheck telling me they can’t do that or I can’t do that isn’t worth my time.

Edited by jmccr8

18 hours ago, pellinore said:

Yes, correct.

I liked your post, I never thought I would see the day!!! While we usually have opposite views on a lot of things I think a well done is in order.

Well done!!

Edited by Cookie Monster

On 2/21/2023 at 1:18 AM, Michelle said:

On TV there's so many charity ads about helping kids in poverty stricken countries from drinking dirty water, but the same thing is happening in the UK now. 

• Sad 1