Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brain dead women may be kept alive as surrogate mothers

pellinore

Dr Anna Smajdor, an associate professor in philosophy at the University of Oslo, claimed it could be a viable option for women who 'prefer not to' carry a child. 

Women would avoid the pregnancy health risks, such as high blood pressure, along with any emotional trauma as a result of complications, and it tackles the problem of a lack of surrogates, she argued.

Should brain dead women be kept alive and used as SURROGATES? | Daily Mail Online

Edited by pellinore
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

That's terrible to use those women's bodies like that. They don't even have a choice.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, susieice said:

That's terrible to use those women's bodies like that. They don't even have a choice.

I think the idea was to have them sign a form similar to organ donors.   Even so, it is not something that seems useful or practical.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Sounds like the plot to a sci-fi movie.

One step away from Frank Herbert. He used similar concepts in both Hellstrom's Hive and the Dune series.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, susieice said:

If they allowed "natural" conception, that could probably be monetized as well.

Shudder...

I can't even imagine all the medical Privacy, and Legal technicalities, that would be involved. The best way I could see this working would be if the brain dead surrogate was treated as property. Either by the hospital, or the person the subrogate is carrying the baby for. Which I can't imagine would be allowed to happen.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Population is not so low that we should even be thinking about things like this.   It isidiotic and extremely unkind to the families of the women she wants to use as baby factories.   Also, how expensive would it be?   Why would a philosophy professor even be paid attention for this kind of thing?  Must be a slow news day.

Wow, that is really crazy I can’t even imagine what those crazy. I think we should test the procedure on that doctors family members!:devil:

• Like 2

We will be able to grow babies in artificial wombs at some point. It's pointless to even consider the OP option. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

We will be able to grow babies in artificial wombs at some point. It's pointless to even consider the OP option. 

And since our population is not declining to some dangerous level it is pointless to even consider artificial wombs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

Sounds like the plot to a sci-fi movie.

Dune. 
It’s literally what Axlotl Tanks are (well… they’re LOBOTOMISED women but still) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

And since our population is not declining to some dangerous level it is pointless to even consider artificial wombs.

Why not? Pregnancy is difficult and comes with risk. Some people can't get pregnant at all.

Artificial wombs could change that process. 

Its nonething that will be around anytime soon. Just sci Fi stuff 

IMO== fekin mental!! seriously, is this real?:unsure: 

the world is without doubt going mad, or madder i should say because it's always been mad, aint it! 

• Like 2

In the future (if I live long enough) I can imagine purchasing a 'brainless woman in a jar' for guilt-free depravity.

:tsu:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, acute said:

In the future (if I live long enough) I can imagine purchasing a 'brainless woman in a jar' for guilt-free depravity.

:tsu:

There isn't a pole long enough to touch that line with.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This has to be the stupidest thread I've seen in...uh...yeah, the 20 years I have been here...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/3/2023 at 5:44 PM, spartan max2 said:

Why not? Pregnancy is difficult and comes with risk. Some people can't get pregnant at all.

Artificial wombs could change that process. 

Its nonething that will be around anytime soon. Just sci Fi stuff 

This is just an elitist idea.  Useless for everyone except entitled people who are so selfish they would not adopt a child that needs a home.  

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

This is just an elitist idea.  Useless for everyone except entitled people who are so selfish they would not adopt a child that needs a home.  

The vast majority of humanity chooses to have their own kid over adopting. 

On 2/5/2023 at 8:13 AM, Desertrat56 said:

I can easily see many elitists thinking this is just fine. "Oh, my, Gawd.... This is just the best idea... ever!!". Wealth, IMHO, usually makes people basically immoral.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I can easily see many elitists thinking this is just fine. "Oh, my, Gawd.... This is just the best idea... ever!!". Wealth, IMHO, usually makes people basically immoral.

Is everyone who chooses to have their own kid over adopting immortal?

What's the moral difference between winning the biological dice roll to be able to have kids vs using technology to do it?

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Is everyone who chooses to have their own kid over adopting immortal?

What's the moral difference between winning the biological dice roll to be able to have kids vs using technology to do it?

Rather I am comparing having your children yourself, or using a brain dead woman as the surrogate. My opinion was elitists probably would love having a brainless donor, so they don't have to carry the child. That, I think is immoral. Thinking that using another person, because they are rich, is just fine.

Technologically, I think if we invent an artificial womb, then people should be allowed to use it. Given it will be expensive in the extreme at first, and not covered by insurance, I would suppose, it will be just another luxury that the Rich can afford and everyone else can not. Which, again, I think is fine, but not "fair". But, the world isn't fair, and we all need to understand that and live with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Rather I am comparing having your children yourself, or using a brain dead woman as the surrogate. My opinion was elitists probably would love having a brainless donor, so they don't have to carry the child. That, I think is immoral. Thinking that using another person, because they are rich, is just fine.

Technologically, I think if we invent an artificial womb, then people should be allowed to use it. Given it will be expensive in the extreme at first, and not covered by insurance, I would suppose, it will be just another luxury that the Rich can afford and everyone else can not. Which, again, I think is fine, but not "fair". But, the world isn't fair, and we all need to understand that and live with it.

um....wombs were not invented...so, uh...pretty sure we will never have the technology to create a living womb.

3 minutes ago, joc said:

um....wombs were not invented...so, uh...pretty sure we will never have the technology to create a living womb.

They've already created pigs that are DNA hybrids that would be compatible organ donors. Can a glass tube with a placenta attached be that far away? The fluids, and the nutrition, and the environment needed, are all knowns. It's simply that it is seen as "wrong" at this point and so is not already done.

3 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

They've already created pigs that are DNA hybrids that would be compatible organ donors. Can a glass tube with a placenta attached be that far away? The fluids, and the nutrition, and the environment needed, are all knowns. It's simply that it is seen as "wrong" at this point and so is not already done.

A glass tube with a placenta?   You watch TV don't you?