Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Perth shark attack: Teenage girl dies in Swan River

Still Waters

A 16-year-old girl has died after being attacked by a shark while swimming in a river in Western Australia.

She was pronounced dead after being pulled from the Swan River, in the Perth suburb of Fremantle, on Saturday.

It is believed the girl, from Perth, was riding jet skis with friends on the river when the incident happened.

Insp Paul Robinson, from Western Australia Police, said it was possible the girl had jumped in the water to swim with dolphins seen nearby.

Fisheries experts say it is unusual to find sharks in that part of the river, Mr Robinson said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64523498

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

Sounds like a Bull Shark attack. They handle fresh water, well. They make far up our rivers and even into the Great Lakes. They're very territorial and aggressive and one three major Shark species likely to attack humans and they are present worldwide.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Why don't people teach their kids, it's Australia everything is out to kill you. Swimming with dolphins?  They can and will kill you too at times. Bloody tragic for the young girl.

38 minutes ago, openozy said:

Why don't people teach their kids, it's Australia everything is out to kill you. Swimming with dolphins?  They can and will kill you too at times. Bloody tragic for the young girl.

Most people think rivers are safe - presuming you’re not in Far North Queensland. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Most people think rivers are safe - presuming you’re not in Far North Queensland. 

I remember years ago in the Hawkesbury River we were fishing from a boat and started pulling in half Jewfish so we pulled in one quickly and saw a set of Bull shark teeth following it up. We pulled up anchor, lol.

• Like 2

Just now, openozy said:

I remember years ago in the Hawkesbury River we were fishing from a boat and started pulling in half Jewfish so we pulled in one quickly and saw a set of Bull shark teeth following it up. We pulled up anchor, lol.

I’ve canoed along the Brissie River and swear I was followed for a while by a bull shark.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I’ve canoed along the Brissie River and swear I was followed for a while by a bull shark.

I don't swim in the surf even these days, it's not worth it to me.

• Like 1

A 16-year-old killed by a shark while swimming in a Western Australia (WA) river has been identified as Stella Berry.

Stella was riding jet skis with friends when she jumped into the water to swim with dolphins and was attacked, police say.

Authorities are investigating what type of shark was involved, but the WA Fisheries Minister has said it was "likely" a bull shark.

The government will consider what could be done to prevent any similar incidents, Don Punch said.

"Shark barriers is something we're always open to talking to local government about."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64533760

• Like 1