Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

12 crazy conspiracy theories that actually turned out to be true

Grim Reaper 6

The explanations for all the following questions are - all of these so-called “conspiracy theories” turned out to be legit:

1) The horror of 'Project Sunshine 2) Bad booze 3) The first lady who ran the United States 4) Government mind control 5) The Dalai Lama's impressive salary 6) John Lennon was under government surveillance 7) The government is spying on you 8) Fake battle, real war 9) Big Tobacco knew that cigarettes caused cancer 10) There is alien evidence in the American Southwest 11) Canada tried to develop 'gaydar' 12)  The Illuminati and the U.S. government.

1) https://www.readersdigest.com.au/true-stories-lifestyle/12-crazy-conspiracy-theories-actually-turned-out-be-true

2) https://www.readersdigest.com.au/true-stories-lifestyle/12-crazy-conspiracy-theories-actually-turned-out-be-true?pages=2

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

A pity that a lot of them were never 'conspiracy theories' to begin with. I like 10.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Obviousman said:

A pity that a lot of them were never 'conspiracy theories' to begin with. I like 10.

I remember when the news reported finding all that atari stuff in the landfill.  It wasn't that long ago.

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2023 at 12:47 PM, Obviousman said:

You mean 9, not 10.:lol:

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

The list seems to be missing quite a lot of government conspiracies against people of color, disabled people, poor people, any minorities. 

The Tuskegee experiments

Guatemalan syphilis studies 

Forced sterilization of poor black women in the 50s and beyond 

Forced sterilization of Native women

Forced sterilization of Disabled people (went on into the 70s in state hospitals)

Here is a comprehensive overview of the medical experiments done...

https://www.rcreader.com/news-releases/us-government’s-secret-history-grisly-experiments

• Like 6

I looked at these most, of these done by these government are not a surprise, during wartime of course your going to keep these secret so that the enemy does not get hold of them.

• Like 3

Taking notice of no. 8 about the Gulf of Tonkin. It's believed that the battleship Maine wasn't sabotaged by Spain in Havana harbor in 1889.

Rather it was a boiler explosion and it was all the excuse the US needed to blame Spain to acquire Cuba.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am surprised to not see Operation Wandering Soul on here. 

• Like 1

What's the difference between a conspiracy theory & reality ?

About 6 weeks. (these days)

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

What's the difference between a conspiracy theory & reality ?

About 6 weeks. (these days)

A 52 second clip. What is the context of his statement or question being asked? this video leaves out many details.

On 4/15/2023 at 10:49 AM, darkmoonlady said:

The list seems to be missing quite a lot of government conspiracies against people of color, disabled people, poor people, any minorities. 

The Tuskegee experiments

Guatemalan syphilis studies 

Forced sterilization of poor black women in the 50s and beyond 

Forced sterilization of Native women

Forced sterilization of Disabled people (went on into the 70s in state hospitals)

Here is a comprehensive overview of the medical experiments done...

https://www.rcreader.com/news-releases/us-government’s-secret-history-grisly-experiments

Yeah, this was some of the shabbiest, shadiest, evilest depravity the US government ever got up to.  It is hard enough being poor in the USA without being subjected to this sort of victimization.  Obviously there is a lot of systemic racism as a subtext in these "studies".  You'd expect them to be happening in Nazi Germany, not the USA.  I am not familiar with the Guatemalan syphilis studies, so I will go and look into it now, and thanks for letting me find out about it darkmoonlady. 

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...

The Government also did LSD testing on U.S soldiers in the 60's and 70's.They wanted to see if it could be weaponized against an enemy.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, superman73 said:

The Government also did LSD testing on U.S soldiers in the 60's and 70's.They wanted to see if it could be weaponized against an enemy.

The worst part was that some groups of soldiers being tested were actually in Viet Nam fighting.    But the drugs tested on those were stimulants, not psychotropic, they were expected to stay awake and alert for days.   No sleep whether drug induced or not does mess up your mind.   It is why some of the soldiers died from "freindly fire"  (a reallly weird euphemism).   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, superman73 said:

That is still not as sleazy as deliberately infecting low income people with syphilis for an epidemiology study imo.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

That is still not as sleazy as deliberately infecting low income people with syphilis for an epidemiology study imo.

Or lining soldiers lined up in an area where nuclear testing was done, 1 mile, 2 miles to see the effects (or rather how close was safe).  Many people dies horrible deaths from that.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 1:49 PM, Alchopwn said:

...or flooding the inner cities with a highly addictive cocaine derivitative.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/15/2023 at 3:50 AM, Hawken said:

Taking notice of no. 8 about the Gulf of Tonkin. It's believed that the battleship Maine wasn't sabotaged by Spain in Havana harbor in 1889.

Rather it was a boiler explosion and it was all the excuse the US needed to blame Spain to acquire Cuba.

Exactly.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 12:49 PM, Alchopwn said:

I was born and raised in Alabama and had never heard of the Tuskegee study until I was in college in a class on disease.  Disgusting and inhuman doesn't begin to cover the guilt both of my state and the Feds.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Trelane said:

I wonder if there are any new ones in conjunction with the Ukraine war or the situation in Israel.

There was article put out claiming Putin was dead from his heart attack. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is known to most but the unibomber underwent psychological experiments while attending Berkeley,which gave him a deep-seated hatred of psychology.

• Like 1

I know I'll regret this because some idiots will actually hook into it but how's this for a conspiracy: The great northeastern US blackout of 1965. It happened on 9 November.... which is 9/11 for the large part of the world. And an airliner which was just about to land in NY when the power went out, and had to do a go around - that was Scandinavian Airways Flight 911. Hmmm. Portents.... (JK)

Edited by Obviousman

On 10/30/2023 at 11:16 AM, Scholar4Truth said:

There was article put out claiming Putin was dead from his heart attack. 

Putin has so many body doubles, who knows if one of them didn't die of a heart attack?