Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientist proposes conventional explanation for sightings of Bigfoot

UM-Bot

I worked this weekend so late to this party, imnsho saying most bigfoot sightings are bear is almost as ridiculous as claiming BF is real with zero suppprtive evidence. BF is to me a phenomenon based on myth and embellishments i hear countless claims i saw this creature i saw that track and i do know what it really was so it can only be BF. Ego jumps in there too some cant admit they were wrong, mistaken, i saw a shadow, heard a sound  i saw a footprint...its bigfoot, no the person is being credulous.

BF is many things and not it any order it includes mistaken other creatures including man, bears, etc, we have hoaxes and BS artists, we have credulous fantasy based dreamers who see what they want to see, we have hallucinations and out right mental illnesses, all those are proven not speculative however BF doesnt even have good evidence none.

When someone writes up a pigeon hole idea that most BF sightings are bears i pretty much place them in with the believers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

hd-aspect-1476717503-pedals-walking-bear.thumb.jpg.3308b144cf7db6ec1887278a30cc24a3.jpgGY2iK.thumb.jpg.f3d11450fb4cef92ef587511e843e7e7.jpg

These are good photos for our purposes.  Bear number 3 in the rocky enclosure has limbs that are long enough to pass for arms but its legs are way too short.  Neither of the other 2 bears looks remotely hominid when in an upright posture however.  Middle bear is far too short on all limbs for example.  BF photos all show creatures with broad hips, with long legs and arms, and far longer coats of hair.  Also BF doesn't have telltale little ears at the top of their heads like these bears.  BF is far broader at the shoulder, and seldom has any visible neck, whereas these bears are "all head".

Honestly, you don't need a PhD to be able to tell the difference between a bear and a hominid at a distance, despite how bad the US education system has become.  Many of the witnesses are experienced outdoors people who know what bears look like.  BF is not a bear.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

These are good photos for our purposes.  Bear number 3 in the rocky enclosure has limbs that are long enough to pass for arms but its legs are way too short.  Neither of the other 2 bears looks remotely hominid when in an upright posture however.  Middle bear is far too short on all limbs for example.  BF photos all show creatures with broad hips, with long legs and arms, and far longer coats of hair.  Also BF doesn't have telltale little ears at the top of their heads like these bears.  BF is far broader at the shoulder, and seldom has any visible neck, whereas these bears are "all head".

Honestly, you don't need a PhD to be able to tell the difference between a bear and a hominid at a distance, despite how bad the US education system has become.  Many of the witnesses are experienced outdoors people who know what bears look like.  BF is not a bear.

Why do some feel a need to appeal to authority to make their opinions more valid?

Some bigfoot are bear and eyewitnesses are very imperfect fallible creatures,

A bear standing up looks as much like the classic description of BF, you are thinking witnesses are just standing there looking at the creature in good lighting close distance and not at all surprised by a few second encounter.

Details and things dont always look at they really are, coming home late night tired i think i see a small kangaroo at the roadside i slow down say tina look a kangaroo, she snaps thats a deer, it was neither it was a coyote dumping a load.

My zombie deer encounter still weirds me out, but it wasnt a wendigo it was a deer.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

A person wouldn't see the face if the bear was turned away from them and walking or running away. The ears could be laid flat against the head or hard to distinguish against background foliage. The arms only appear short when they are held up and out, if they are held down on its sides then they appear longer or might not be visible at all. Many bigfoot sightings are brief and from a distance where distinct features are much more difficult to make out. I really don't understand why believers have such trouble conceding that some sightings, but of course not all, could be bears.

You're obviously not a hunter. Black bears have really short hind legs. They waddle when they walk. They never walk long distances either. 

As a bear hunter, I make absolutely sure of my target, and beyond. Most hunters are the same with any species they hunt.

You do Hunters a disservice by posting those pics as proof. Many hunters have allegedly seen a Bigfoot. Many refuse to be ridiculed by stepping foreward and admitting it. 

In my 45 years of hunting, I've never seen one. I've spoken with two hunters who have seen them, but made me swear never to out them. One of them thought it was a brown phaze black bear until it stood up. He won't go into the deep woods anymore, and does all his hunting from his truck. "a road hunter".

A gillie suit could explain a few sightings, but what person in a suit is going to keep up the charade when a scared hunter points his rifle at him. I'm keeping an open mind. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

My zombie deer encounter still weirds me out, but it wasnt a wendigo it was a deer.

Wrong.  It clearly turned you into a wendigo.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Wrong.  It clearly turned you into a wendigo.

No, but it was a hell of an odd ball bambi.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

You're obviously not a hunter. Black bears have really short hind legs. They waddle when they walk. They never walk long distances either. 

As a bear hunter, I make absolutely sure of my target, and beyond. Most hunters are the same with any species they hunt.

You do Hunters a disservice by posting those pics as proof. Many hunters have allegedly seen a Bigfoot. Many refuse to be ridiculed by stepping foreward and admitting it. 

In my 45 years of hunting, I've never seen one. I've spoken with two hunters who have seen them, but made me swear never to out them. One of them thought it was a brown phaze black bear until it stood up. He won't go into the deep woods anymore, and does all his hunting from his truck. "a road hunter".

A gillie suit could explain a few sightings, but what person in a suit is going to keep up the charade when a scared hunter points his rifle at him. I'm keeping an open mind.

Did I ever say that hunters' sightings were explainable by bears? Most people are not as nearly as well-trained at observing and identifying animals as hunters are. Even then, hunters are not infallible and can still make understandable mistakes if the conditions are not optimal.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Once again, these are all clear photos taken at a close distance, not the conditions under which many sightings would take place. I've already explained how distance, observation time, and environment change how the animal is perceived.

13 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

You vastly overestimate the animal-identifying skills of the general public. Most people have little to no experience with observing wildlife and do not know how bears can appear very unbearlike under certain conditions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

You vastly overestimate the animal-identifying skills of the general public. Most people have little to no experience with observing wildlife and do not know how bears can appear very unbearlike under certain conditions.

A prime example of this is hunters shooting livestock, and ever other hunters, mistaking them for deer.  This even happens occasionally during bow season where the ranges are necessarily even closer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

Once again, these are all clear photos taken at a close distance, not the conditions under which many sightings would take place. I've already explained how distance, observation time, and environment change how the animal is perceived.

I think bears make up a percentage of all sightings.  Not sure how big of a percentage.  Maybe lump them into the mis-identified animals category which would probably be around 40%, this would include the times sightings are listed but only a sound was heard.   Hoaxes would probably be somewhere around 30%.   Mind tricks (wanting to find one so bad you think you heard or seen one) - 30%.  Just my guess on the percentage numbers.  

Edited by Myles
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Bear behavior is certainly consistent with all but the most fantastical "Dogman" sightings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Bear behavior is certainly consistent with all but the most fantastical "Dogman" sightings. 

That's why there aren't any BFs....the bears done et em all!

• Haha 4

On 2/6/2023 at 7:12 PM, Resume said:

A prime example of this is hunters shooting livestock, and ever other hunters, mistaking them for deer.  This even happens occasionally during bow season where the ranges are necessarily even closer.

When livestock is in clear sight, mistakes will rarely happen.

But when livestock is moving through thick undergrowth, things can go bad.

On 2/6/2023 at 5:32 PM, Hankenhunter said:

I think it's a good explanation for Australian yowie sightings.

There was a sighting in the GC hinterland on a road that ran along the boudary of an Army base.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 3

On 2/5/2023 at 9:37 AM, OverSword said:

Does that also explain the sightings in Australia, Vietnam, China, Tibet, etc.? People are focused on the sightings in the USA’s Pacific Northwest but these hairy hominids are a global phenomenon.  Most certainly some are bears but there are others from reliable witnesses such as police or rugged mountain men like trappers and lumber jacks who know what a bear looks like that defy that explanation. 

Vietnam, China, Tibet all have bears.

Australia... well... you see teh ones we have here

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Vietnam, China, Tibet all have bears.

Australia... well... you see teh ones we have here

Regardless, bears walking on their hind legs does not even come close to explaining every sighting. That’s just a ****ing stupid assertion 

Reports of Bigfoot rise when at least 900 black bears are in the area

Where black bears are abundant, Bigfoot sightings usually follow – which could make reports of the mythical creature a way to measure American black bear populations.

American black bears (Ursus americanus) are being mistaken for Bigfoot throughout North America. For every 900 bears in an area, one Bigfoot sighting is likely to follow, according to an analysis of bear populations and sightings of the mythical being.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2356845-reports-of-bigfoot-rise-when-at-least-900-black-bears-are-in-the-area/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

Regardless, bears walking on their hind legs does not even come close to explaining every sighting. That’s just a ****ing stupid assertion 

I never said it explained all sightings

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2023 at 8:49 AM, MysteryMike said:

Something that people haven't taken into account.

Hermits living out in the woods. You'd probably be very surprised just how many is out there living in the woods that decided to cut ties from civilization.

This and black bears are most likely the case for all if not most sightings.

How many hermits the size of Shaquille ONeal do you think are out there??? Bears don't actually walk around on their back legs. They may stand and reach or lean on a tree but they don't walk around that way.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DanL said:

How many hermits the size of Shaquille ONeal do you think are out there??? Bears don't actually walk around on their back legs. They may stand and reach or lean on a tree but they don't walk around that way.

Umm . . . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Resume said:

Umm . . . 

If this was in the woods, it wood be a "credible" bigfoot sighting.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 8:09 AM, Resume said:

Umm . . . 

From :16-:20 is exactly the kind of blurry footage that get passed around as "proof" of bigfoot. 

• Like 3

On 2/7/2023 at 5:03 AM, Carnoferox said:

I think you on the other hand vastly under-estimate the average BF witness.  Most of them are hunters and skilled outdoors sports enthusiasts who know the difference between an upright bear and a sasquatch.  There is no way you can miss a bear's ears, and no way a bear is ever broad enough across the shoulders to pass as a BF.  No BF has prominent ears, and they are all described as having very broad shoulders. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 6/4/2023 at 3:09 AM, Myles said:

If this was in the woods, it wood be a "credible" bigfoot sighting.

Yeah. When you're myopic.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2023 at 7:23 AM, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Wow, that sounds like a very lame explanation. 

It is. Another explanation from someone who has no experience, per usual.

<-

Edited by Zebra3