Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird 'alien' ecosystem emerges in abandoned uranium mine

UM-Bot

Life always finds a way.

To me this shows that life will be found on other planets sooner or later, and never mind any 'extreme circumstances'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Life always finds a way.

To me this shows that life will be found on other planets sooner or later, and never mind any 'extreme circumstances'.

No doubt.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Life always finds a way.

Will be? So you hold a geocentric view in 2023. That's cute.

Your theory, (sadly also held by others,) namely that life will eventually spread from Earth to other planets in our solar system, and, quite obviously and unavoidably, eventually to other star systems and galaxies as we explore and conquer space, while not flawed in principle (panspermia), has a flaw of a certain nature common to theories made up by our ancestors - your model is geocentric. For some reason you assume that somehow when you look around a universe teeming with life thousands (or millions) of years from now, with millions of inhabited planets in all sorts of relationships (political, economic, etc.) with each other as well as in alliances and probably participating in all sorts of wars (kinda like the Star Trek Universe) you will be able to look around and say with absolute certainly: "it all started on Earth". Because our planet is... just special, and all the others are not. It started with here. On Planet Earth. With us. You could say, in a sense, we are the center on the Universe. Which is a worldview humanity has held for a long time, the basic reasoning being nothing more substantial than "cuz we dunno any different".

One would think we have grown up since. Indeed, there are some who are of the opinion that there is probably (intelligent) life out there, and Earth was effectively seeded, either accidentally or intentionally. Yet for some reason many of these same people (at least the ones that go with "accident"), think that sentience can only evolve on one planet and not on others. (Don't ask me why. Probably the same reasoning - "cuz we dunno any different".) While any number of theories could just as easily explain lack of first contact. One that comes to mind that would make a lot of sense is Star Trek's Prime Directive, where we are a relatively primitive species, still busy destroying our own species and our own living habitat on a global scale on the only planet where we currently live, not yet mature to participate in matters of global (read: galactic or even universal) importance. Contact shall be made when we have proven that we are ready to think responsibly. One could say, when we have grown up and are no longer in kindergarten on the intelligence scale, or worse, at the level of animals, fighting territorial disputes when we could look for more intelligent solutions (when we are all ready, that is). To put into perspective where we are just look at the political theatre in the USA, along with racism, and patriotism (something they encourage and are proud of, as opposed to being citizens of Earth where all are to be treated equal). So reluctance on the part of our galactic neighbors is/would be quite understandable.

There are many other possibilities as well for lack of contact (and for total lack of any sign of life out there) of course, it would be rather pointless to list an arbitrary number of them, the point here being that assuming that the center of the universe (whether as to location or as to the origin of life) is ignorant and conceited at best - in truth merely a possibility, as valid as it not being the center of the universe.

Though what anyone believes on an individual basis has no effect on questions like this, our majority opinion does describe us as a species, and based on that we are still living in the dark ages. Come the revolution.

• Haha 1

Man, what a tome!

You just needed an excuse to post it, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Life always finds a way.

This discovery isn't really new at all. I studied these groups of Extremophiles' back in the 1980s when I was finishing my bachelor's degree in biology at a Military Collage. These Extremophiles not only thrive and reproduce in Nuclear Reactors, and on exposed radioactive materials they suffer no negative effects at all. These little guys love the radiation and the higher the Dose Rate, the more these little fellows love it. Below is a great article from the Microbiology Society that explains how these little fellow, Survive, Reproduce and generally thrive on Radioactive Waste, exposed Uranium, and upon active fuel rods in Nuclear Reactors'. No matter what end my come for mankind, Cockroaches will not be alone on this earth. Extremophiles populate ever extreme environment on earth and even in space so there is no getting away from these little fellows they will rule the earth someday in our future.

25 February 2014 - HEROIC EXERTION OF RADIATION-RESISTANT EXTREMOPHILES: Heroic exertion of radiation-resistant extremophiles | Microbiology Society

Extremophiles that can survive in space. The little follow below is unaffected by radiation and can also survive in open space for extended periods of time and when brought back to earth not only will survived but also has the able to reproduce! :yes:

Tardigrades: the Adorable Extremophiles: TARDIS (Tardigrades in Space)

Extremophiles that survive in Nuclear Reactors

Odd Species Feeds on Nuclear Energy from Natural Uranium: Alien-like ...

Fungus Found Growing In Chernobyl Nuclear Reactor ‘Eats’ Radiation

Image result for Extremophiles that survive in Nuclear Reactors

Image result for Extremophiles found on uranium

2 hours ago, Piney said:

No doubt.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rolci said:

Will be? So you hold a geocentric view in 2023. That's cute.

Your theory, (sadly also held by others,) namely that life will eventually spread from Earth to other planets in our solar system, and, quite obviously and unavoidably, eventually to other star systems and galaxies as we explore and conquer space, while not flawed in principle (panspermia), has a flaw of a certain nature common to theories made up by our ancestors - your model is geocentric. For some reason you assume that somehow when you look around a universe teeming with life thousands (or millions) of years from now, with millions of inhabited planets in all sorts of relationships (political, economic, etc.) with each other as well as in alliances and probably participating in all sorts of wars (kinda like the Star Trek Universe) you will be able to look around and say with absolute certainly: "it all started on Earth". Because our planet is... just special, and all the others are not. It started with here. On Planet Earth. With us. You could say, in a sense, we are the center on the Universe. Which is a worldview humanity has held for a long time, the basic reasoning being nothing more substantial than "cuz we dunno any different".

One would think we have grown up since. Indeed, there are some who are of the opinion that there is probably (intelligent) life out there, and Earth was effectively seeded, either accidentally or intentionally. Yet for some reason many of these same people (at least the ones that go with "accident"), think that sentience can only evolve on one planet and not on others. (Don't ask me why. Probably the same reasoning - "cuz we dunno any different".) While any number of theories could just as easily explain lack of first contact. One that comes to mind that would make a lot of sense is Star Trek's Prime Directive, where we are a relatively primitive species, still busy destroying our own species and our own living habitat on a global scale on the only planet where we currently live, not yet mature to participate in matters of global (read: galactic or even universal) importance. Contact shall be made when we have proven that we are ready to think responsibly. One could say, when we have grown up and are no longer in kindergarten on the intelligence scale, or worse, at the level of animals, fighting territorial disputes when we could look for more intelligent solutions (when we are all ready, that is). To put into perspective where we are just look at the political theatre in the USA, along with racism, and patriotism (something they encourage and are proud of, as opposed to being citizens of Earth where all are to be treated equal). So reluctance on the part of our galactic neighbors is/would be quite understandable.

There are many other possibilities as well for lack of contact (and for total lack of any sign of life out there) of course, it would be rather pointless to list an arbitrary number of them, the point here being that assuming that the center of the universe (whether as to location or as to the origin of life) is ignorant and conceited at best - in truth merely a possibility, as valid as it not being the center of the universe.

Though what anyone believes on an individual basis has no effect on questions like this, our majority opinion does describe us as a species, and based on that we are still living in the dark ages. Come the revolution.

We are a first generation rocky planet with extremely rare metals needed for technology only created in a binary white dwarf merger moving around a first generation extremely quiet yellow sun in a first generation spiral galaxy and have a large enough moon to prevent our oceans from tidally locking and allowing us to grow beyond a ground crawler.

AND......we have just enough oxygen to control fire allowing for metallurgy and other technologies. 

I'm not denying simple life in the Universe but we are most certainly a "one-off". 

• Like 2

Once life has come into existence it will spread to a lot of other adjoining areas. Over time it will adapt and change to better fit the new and different ecologies.

The BIG question is how and where did that first spark of life come from.
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:25 PM, Piney said:

AND......we have just enough oxygen to control fire allowing for metallurgy and other technologies. 

Mind boggling... 

The Bush Barrow dagger is one of the most incredible Bronze Age finds in Britain. The blade is made from bronze, but the handle is decorated with microscopic gold studs set in a zig-zag pattern. This work was so intricate it was probably carried out by children.

~

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 1:25 PM, Piney said:

We are a first generation rocky planet with extremely rare metals needed for technology only created in a binary white dwarf merger moving around a first generation extremely quiet yellow sun in a first generation spiral galaxy and have a large enough moon to prevent our oceans from tidally locking and allowing us to grow beyond a ground crawler.

I'm not denying simple life in the Universe but we are most certainly a "one-off". 

And these metals gathered from all around the Universe to form just this on planet right here, yes? And same for oxygen. And water, apparently, and I might add magically. Where are the oceans on Mars? Or all the moons of the solar system?

So are you saying this one planet was/is some kind or weirdness magnet? That would explain ghosts and UFOs as well I guess. But why just one planet should have all the water and oxygen in the universe rather than an even distribution ibn all directions by supernovae?

21 minutes ago, Rolci said:

And these metals gathered from all around the Universe to form just this on planet right here, yes? And same for oxygen. And water, apparently, and I might add magically. Where are the oceans on Mars? Or all the moons of the solar system?

So are you saying this one planet was/is some kind or weirdness magnet? That would explain ghosts and UFOs as well I guess. But why just one planet should have all the water and oxygen in the universe rather than an even distribution ibn all directions by supernovae?

I'm not saying that at all. You have that a twisted mess. But your English sucks so I'll give you the doubt. 

You need just enough oxygen to control fire for technology. Too much or too little and you can't.

You need certain metals for technology and biochemistry.

You need a active  tectonic cycle to throw those metals to the surface or they would sink to the core and be unobtainable and useless.

The metals needed for advanced technology are only produced by a binary white dwarf merger which is a very rare event and our solar system just happened to pass through the cloud of one during it's formation.

7 hours ago, Piney said:

I'm not saying that at all. You have that a twisted mess. But your English sucks so I'll give you the doubt. 

You need just enough oxygen to control fire for technology. Too much or too little and you can't.

You need certain metals for technology and biochemistry.

You need a active  tectonic cycle to throw those metals to the surface or they would sink to the core and be unobtainable and useless.

The metals needed for advanced technology are only produced by a binary white dwarf merger which is a very rare event and our solar system just happened to pass through the cloud of one during it's formation.

Putting aside the fact that your English stinks (who writes "during it's formation"??) I will just point out that technology is not a prerequisite for sentience. Neither is an exact percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere. Or even fire. Where did these come from?? Finally, the ways the Universe is capable of creating life are not based on your own limited, Earth-centered concepts, obviously. And neither are the ways in which sentient species (and their societies) may evolve. Technology as you understand it is neither a prerequisite nor a necessary outcome of sentient life.

23 minutes ago, Rolci said:

Putting aside the fact that your English stinks (who writes "during it's formation"??) I will just point out that technology is not a prerequisite for sentience. Neither is an exact percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere. Or even fire. Where did these come from?? Finally, the ways the Universe is capable of creating life are not based on your own limited, Earth-centered concepts, obviously. And neither are the ways in which sentient species (and their societies) may evolve. Technology as you understand it is neither a prerequisite nor a necessary outcome of sentient life.

I wasn't talking about sentient life. I was talking about a technological lifeform. But sentience still needs a evolutionary driver and biochemistry works the same everywhere.

Frank Herbert imagined a planet wide sentient organism that only thought philosophical concepts. But there was no evolutionary pressures to create such a organism and he himself deemed it impossible.

So exactly what imagined super being are you selling? Is it that unscientific Urantia garbage or some other newage trash?