Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Face of 2,000-year-old ancient Nabataean woman reconstructed in world-first

Still Waters

A team of archaeologists and academics have given us some insight into the appearance of the Arab Nabataean civilisation.

The woman shown is known as Hinat, and is thought to have been a prominent figure who died around the first century BC.

It is believed she lay inside a Hegra tomb in Saudi Arabia for over 2,000 years after her death.

This video shows the reconstruction and the detailed process that went into its creation.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/face-of-2000-year-old-ancient-nabataean-woman-reconstructed-in-world-first/ar-AA179wVD

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

A skull is a skull is a skull...one cannot take a skull and create out of thin air the way that particular person looked.  And for them to think they can convince me that they can...and that it is a big deal is just more manipulation from the Advertising Liars.

9 hours ago, joc said:

A skull is a skull is a skull...one cannot take a skull and create out of thin air the way that particular person looked.  And for them to think they can convince me that they can...and that it is a big deal is just more manipulation from the Advertising Liars.

Oh, yes they can, and DNA can tell you eye, hair and skin color. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, joc said:

A skull is a skull is a skull...one cannot take a skull and create out of thin air the way that particular person looked. 

Actually you can, police investigators sometimes use forensic reconstructions to help identify a victim from their skeletal remains.

It works by layering muscles and tissue onto the skull using computer software to slowly build up and recreate the person's facial features.

• Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, Saru said:

Actually you can, police investigators sometimes use forensic reconstructions to help identify a victim from their skeletal remains.

It works by layering muscles and tissue onto the skull using computer software to slowly build up and recreate the person's facial features.

In the early 80s Scotland Yard was messing around with artists and clay. My Uncle Jay and I saw it on the telly and tried it with a plastic anatomy skull from Edmund Scientific. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Piney said:

In the early 80s Scotland Yard was messing around with artists and clay. My Uncle Jay and I saw it on the telly and tried it with a plastic anatomy skull from Edmund Scientific. 

It is actually an accepted scientific practice in forensic these days. When Jane Dow or Jim Dow skeletal remains are discovered during murder investigations. They use this technique to make the first forensic rendering that photos are taken from for distribution. In almost all cases if the true identity is discovered it is amazing how close the model made from clay actually matches actual photos of the deceased!:tu:

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 4

I stand corrected.  :tu:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1