Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do we live in a rotating universe? If we did, we could travel back in time

Still Waters

We know that planets rotate, but what about the universe as a whole? No, the universe doesn't appear to rotate; if it did, time travel into the past might be possible.

Although people throughout antiquity had argued that the heavens rotate around the world, in 1949, mathematician Kurt Gödel was the first to provide a modern formulation of a rotating universe. He used the language of Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity to do so, as a way of honoring his friend and neighbor at Princeton, Einstein himself.

But this process of academic "honoring" went in a different direction than you might suspect, because Gödel used the example of a rotating universe to show that general relativity was incomplete.

https://www.space.com/rotating-universe-would-permit-time-travel

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live-rotating-universe-did-could-130053216.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've read similar articles, they never address rotation of the universe relative to what?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Portre said:

I've read similar articles, they never address rotation of the universe relative to what?

I'm familiar with a "circular universe theory" where a cycle of expansion and collapse takes place. But time doesn't run backwards in that theory.

• Like 2

This is just a anti-science fluff peice, even if it did come from space.com.  

"We know that planets rotate, but what about the universe as a whole? No, the universe doesn't appear to rotate; if it did, time travel into the past might be possible."

It makes more sense to me that the galaxy does rotate around a black hole (maybe the origin of the "big bang") so both parts of the bolded are false.   rotation of the universe has nothing to do with being able to travel into the past.   Traveling into the past is what our mind is for and whoever wrote that article doesn't even understand time.  It seems to me a misunderstanding of what Goedel was considering.

• Like 2

Living in a rotating universe would be strange indeed. For one, all observers would consider themselves the center of rotation. This means that if you parked yourself somewhere and ensured that you were absolutely still, you would see the universe wheeling around you. But if you picked up and moved anywhere else, even to a distant galaxy, you would always still see the universe rotating around your new position.

My comment is to the bolded sentence above.  If the Universe is rotating how would we ever know?  That bolded sentence makes no sense to me at all.  As @Portre mentioned...Relative to what?  

And the other concern is...if the Universe rotates...what exactly is it rotating in?  A pool of ...what?  

And if the Universe is Rotating, then how and why is it rotating.  Silly questions men come up with because they don't have real answers to real questions. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, joc said:

And if the Universe is Rotating, then how and why is it rotating.  Silly questions men come up with because they don't have real answers to real questions. 

And too much time on their hands.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joc said:

Silly questions men come up with because they don't have real answers to real questions.

Godel was brilliant but he was also mentally challenged in some ways.  The man starved himself to death because his wife wasn't around to "test" his food for poison.  He was a tragic character.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, and-then said:

Godel was brilliant but he was also mentally challenged in some ways.  The man starved himself to death because his wife wasn't around to "test" his food for poison.  He was a tragic character.

I heard a story that Einstein was not completely crazy but not able to bother taking care of himself, so when his wife was out of town and he ran out of shaving cream he just shaved without it and had cuts all over his face until his students bought him some shaving cream.  

• Like 4