Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Church of England not sure God is male

pellinore

LONDON, Feb 8 (Reuters) - The Church of England will look into the use of gender neutral terms to refer to God in prayers, but the centuries-old institution said on Wednesday there were no plans to abolish current services.

The issue reflects growing global awareness about the assumed usage of pronouns causing offence or upset to those who do not identify with the gender they were assigned at birth.

"Christians have recognised since ancient times that God is neither male nor female," a spokesperson for the Church said. "Yet the variety of ways of addressing and describing God found in scripture has not always been reflected in our worship."

Church of England explores gender neutral God | Daily Mail Online

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 3

This sounds like a recruiting ploy to me, trying to boost thier dwindling attendance and membership.

I do have a problem with "God" always being referred to as male, but I also have a problem with this gender idiocy that has invaded our public schools causing children who are too young to understand a lot of confusion.    And now churches are getting involved, which is ludicrous in any christian church as the whole premise of that religion is that men rule, and women must obey.     

• Like 4

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

This sounds like a recruiting ploy to me, trying to boost thier dwindling attendance and membership.

I do have a problem with "God" always being referred to as male, but I also have a problem with this gender idiocy that has invaded our public schools causing children who are too young to understand a lot of confusion.    And now churches are getting involved, which is ludicrous in any christian church as the whole premise of that religion is that men rule, and women must obey.     

The membership base of the CoE is about to collapse.

I predict Catholicism is about to rise again here.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

From the perspective of Christianity God is certainly male, otherwise the bible which they depend on is wrong.  Impregnating Mary, the phrase His only begotten son, etc.  The Church of England is now guilty of blasphemy by their own standards I would guess.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

You don't think the catholic church has the same problem?  The only christian churches I see growing or maintaining their number are the non-denominational mega churches run by famous iconic preachers who have television networks or a regular television presence.  They offer starbucks on their campus as well as private schools, gift shops, meeting rooms, conference centers, etc.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 6

*SLAP*!     Congratulations,  it’s an it!           

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

You don't think the catholic church has the same problem?  The only christian churches I see growing or maintaining their number are the non-denominational mega churches run by famous iconic preachers who have television networks or a regular television presence.  They offer starbucks on their campus as well as private schools, gift shops, meeting rooms, conference centers, etc.

The Catholics aren`t going gender politics, its the CoE

I see the problem, since they believe God is actually three persons, one of whom is a bird.

• Haha 9

Our heavenly motherfather    just doesn’t sound right.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, lightly said:

Our heavenly motherfather    just doesn’t sound right.

Sounds better than Our Heavenly Mofo. :devil:

cormac

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

So you're saying we need to prepare and arm the children?

Edited by HSlim
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, HSlim said:

Is it though?   The Catholic Church is a pedo playground

I understand what you mean now.

Yes, I wouldn`t send my kids to Sunday School for that faith. Its not just because of what you mention but that Church has a track record of abuse. Have you ever noticed how most serial killers are Roman Catholics? Something odd going on in those homes and in that church.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I understand what you mean now.

Yes, I wouldn`t send my kids to Sunday School for that faith. Its not just because of what you mention but that Church has a track record of abuse. Have you ever noticed how most serial killers are Roman Catholics? Something odd going on in those homes and in that church.

Serial killers seem to be religious in general across the board. We have had 1 serial killer female Aileen Wuornos she identified as mostly Atheist. 

https://www.murdermiletours.com/blog/serial-killers-murderers-and-their-religion-faith

Interesting list. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would assume a God Almighty, Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, All that Was, All that Is, All that will Be, is whatever it chooses to be and it's gender, only that which man ascribes to it.

16 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I would assume a God Almighty, Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, All that Was, All that Is, All that will Be, is whatever it chooses to be and it's gender, only that which man ascribes to it.

Ah, gender fluid.

I sense the poor Anglicans are out of their depth here :unsure:.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eight bits said:

Ah, gender fluid.

I sense the poor Anglicans are out of their depth here :unsure:.

More like lacking gender. I don't know. Second Century depictions of Christ were quite androgynous. Only with the advent of the Marian Cult was he, finally, allowed to grow a beard. 

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Sounds better than Our Heavenly Mofo. :devil:

cormac

El and Yaweh were both male deities.......case closed.....

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

El and Yaweh were both male deities.......case closed.....

Quite. It is ridiculous. There are constant references to Him, His work, His word, etc Never a reference to "She said", or "Her word".  It's why God doesn't allow women to hold high office in any Church- He knows they would only muck things up.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1