Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How many Syrian and Turkish earthquake refugees should the UK take?

pellinore

With the death toll passing 10 thousand, and hundreds of orphaned children, humanitarian aid is starting to be stretched to the limit. The temperatures are freezing, and accommodation is needed. EU counties are struggling to accommodate millions of refugees due to the Ukraine war. Would it be reasonable for the UK, which is the 3rd richest country in Europe and the 6th richest country in the world) to accommodate just a few hundred thousand refugees temporality, or should we open our doors for up to a million?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They should take all of them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

They should take all of them. 

That could easily include a million or more.  No single country could handle that load without help.  I just wonder if Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and other Gulf States, all of which are flush with oil cash, are going to be willing to accept large numbers or at least help fund what will be a truly monumental reconstruction burden.  I'd bet that a lot of the buildings that are still standing, will be found unsafe upon closer inspection.  What's ahead for these poor people is hard to get my head around.  Where do the nations who want to help, even start?

• Like 3

What a sad catastrophe. Get rid of the dictator and no need to accept any immigrants 

I think Saudi Arabia should step up and take refugees.  They have a moral obligation under the teachings of Islam to offer shelter to their co-religionists in times of trouble which they have never fulfilled in living memory, which is utterly appalling given how rich a country they are.  As the Protectors of Mecca the Saudis have an obligation to be exemplars of their faith, and not to palm their religious duties off onto the nations of Europe.  To top this all off, they also have housing for millions of people in Medina that is normally reserved for the Hajj that sits idle for most of the year.

I don't think Europe should take any Muslim refugees ever again.  Saudi Arabia needs to follow the teachings of Islam properly and offer succor to the needy of their shared faith instead.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I think Saudi Arabia should step up and take refugees.  They have a moral obligation under the teachings of Islam to offer shelter to their co-religionists in times of trouble which they have never fulfilled in living memory, which is utterly appalling given how rich a country they are. 

I have a vague feeling that religion may be at the bottom of the problems in the ME anyway. They are always at war with each other instead of co-operating on joint prosperity. I may be wrong about this.

13 hours ago, and-then said:

That could easily include a million or more.  No single country could handle that load without help.  I just wonder if Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and other Gulf States, all of which are flush with oil cash, are going to be willing to accept large numbers or at least help fund what will be a truly monumental reconstruction burden.  I'd bet that a lot of the buildings that are still standing, will be found unsafe upon closer inspection.  What's ahead for these poor people is hard to get my head around.  Where do the nations who want to help, even start?

I was being sarcastic, the question is ridiculous in my opinion.   The british went all over the world displacing people and now one of them is wondering how many displaced people they can "take".   I hope the U.S. will continue to help refugees in spite of what the last administration tried to pull concerning that.  

Edited by Desertrat56