Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Train Derailments

F3SS

Haven't seen a thread on it but the East Palestine Ohio train derailment with loads of hazardous chemicals was apparently blown up and it looks nasty. Anywhere near you @spartan max2

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ohio-carry-out-controlled-release-chemicals-train-derailment-site-2023-02-06/

I can't find anything substantial on the South Carolina crash and the Houston crash looks to have been cause by a truck that crashed into the train and killed the driver. Hazardous chemicals are reportedly on board. The Ohio wreck seems pretty concerning. I'm downstream of the Ohio River. I know our storm patterns are from the south and west typically and the wreck is north west of me but idk, it's still kind of close.  I read the state government have tested and deemed the air near the wreckage to be safe. Looks pretty nasty to me though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

9 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Haven't seen a thread on it but the East Palestine Ohio train derailment with loads of hazardous chemicals was apparently blown up and it looks nasty. Anywhere near you @spartan max2

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ohio-carry-out-controlled-release-chemicals-train-derailment-site-2023-02-06/

I can't find anything substantial on the South Carolina crash and the Houston crash looks to have been cause by a truck that crashed into the train and killed the driver. Hazardous chemicals are reportedly on board. The Ohio wreck seems pretty concerning. I'm downstream of the Ohio River. I know our storm patterns are from the south and west typically and the wreck is north west of me but idk, it's still kind of close.  I read the state government have tested and deemed the air near the wreckage to be safe. Looks pretty nasty to me though.

I was just reading about this today. Lucky where I am (Columbus) we are upwind and our water won't be effected.

The authorities are claiming that there should be no big concerns. 

But I'd definitely be concerned for those down wind and moreso downstream. 

(Also it is oddly so similar to White noise on Netflix)

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

You should seriously consider doing your own testing. 

17 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I read the state government have tested and deemed the air near the wreckage to be safe.

After looking at that cloud, and what it's comprised of, I'd say someone's lying through their teeth to keep a panic from happening. Stay safe. 

• Like 7

I can't find any pictures more than a few days old on this either. I wonder is the smoke still looming? 

• Like 2

Just now, Hankenhunter said:

You should seriously consider doing your own testing. 

After looking at that cloud, and what it's comprised of, I'd say someone's lying through their teeth to keep a panic from happening. Stay safe. 

My own testing of what? I'm in Pittsburgh where the Ohio meets the Allegheny and Monogahela rivers right downtown and I've barely heard a blip about any of this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

It's Pete Buttigieg's job. He should have been on top of it the moment it happened, but this is what he's concerned about.

Transportation Sec. Pete Buttigieg has so far remained silent on the Ohio train derailment that spilled toxic chemicals and forced thousands to evacuate, but he did speak out about the lack of diversity in construction this week. 

cont...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11746791/Pete-Buttigieg-talks-lack-diversity-construction-ignores-catastrophic-Ohio-train-derailment.html

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, F3SS said:

My own testing of what? I'm in Pittsburgh where the Ohio meets the Allegheny and Monogahela rivers right downtown and I've barely heard a blip about any of this.

Head over to You Tube. There's a ton of info there.

This article is saying that bearings in a "hoitbox" overheated causing the derailment: What caused the East Palestine, Ohio train derailment? (wkbn.com)

Usually it triggers an alarm and people catch it, but the guy in the article said: Hagan says in his 50 years on the job, he only got about 10 hot box alerts in which he had to stop a train. He believes cutbacks on railroad jobs are partially to blame for situations like we’re seeing now in East Palestine.

This wiki says the same thing and even lists the chemicals :2023 Ohio train derailment - Wikipedia

Twenty of the 141 cars were classified as carrying hazardous materials, 14 of which were carrying vinyl chloride. Other chemicals included butyl acrylate, ethylhexyl acrylate, ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, isobutylene, combustible liquids, and benzene residue.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, F3SS said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV3K0JOJowE

This is a well-done piece of reporting with several locals adding input.  This sounds like someone is either hiding the truth or is so inept that they'll be found criminally liable in the future.  

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

He believes cutbacks on railroad jobs are partially to blame for situations like we’re seeing now in East Palestine.

He may well be correct but it seems to me that laying blame isn't the point just now.  The Republican governor gave to go ahead to do a controlled burn off of these chemicals upon the advice of experts but then only evacuated people within one mile and only for a brief period before giving them the all clear.  That YT vid I posted is mind blowing.

• Like 1

Train chemical spillage in East Palestine, Ohio, could leave 30 million US citizens without drinking water

The derailment in East Palestine, Ohio, could leave up to 30 million people without drinking water after the Ohio River reportedly became contaminated.

Tuesday, February 14 at 1:22am

The train derailment incident that occurred in the Ohio town of East Palestine on February 4 looks likely to affect up to 30 million people who reside in the Ohio River Basin. Chemicals – including vinyl chloride –  that were being transported on the train leaked into and reportedly subsequently contaminated the Ohio River.

This waterway supplies roughly 10 per cent of the US population with its drinking water. It also provides water for businesses located along its length, all the way into West Virginia, according to @rawsalerts.

https://euroweeklynews.com/2023/02/14/update-train-chemical-spillage-in-east-palestine-ohio-could-leave-30-million-us-citizens-without-drinking-water/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I heard on the news that at least one town in West Virginia is ready to switch over to another water source if they detect contamination.   They took the lessons from  past experience and got prepared.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Anything is possible but the part of this that stands out to me is how long it has been going on and how little coverage it has been given.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, and-then said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV3K0JOJowE

This is a well-done piece of reporting with several locals adding input.  This sounds like someone is either hiding the truth or is so inept that they'll be found criminally liable in the future.  

They basically told people that the slow controlled burn off solved the problem.

How true that actually is idk.

• Like 4

Yea idk about that. All I've heard is hearsay anecdotes from residents but people are claiming their farm animals are dying now. If it's from the train that can't bode well for the people.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Apparently Norfolk Southern is willing to help the residents to the tune of $5 per person.

https://www.sciotopost.com/norfolk-southern-offers-25000-to-east-palestine-for-potentially-deadly-train-crash/

Norfolk Souhern said in a press release, “Norfolk Southern team members are on scene, and will be assisted by multiple derailment and environmental contractors. In addition to working closely with first responders, we are coordinating with federal, state and local agencies. The NTSB will be the lead agency for providing updates on the incident. We have established a Family Assistance Center to address the needs of the community and support those directly impacted. Additionally, we are supporting the efforts of the American Red Cross and their temporary community shelters through a $25,000 donation.”

Edited by F3SS
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Well when they arrest the reporters trying to report the story....... Video shows what led to reporter’s arrest at Ohio train derailment press conference (yahoo.com)

“The claims made by Adjutant Major General Harris that Mr. Lambert was aggressive and that Harris was “…convinced he was prepared to do harm to me” are patently false. It is our position that the numerous videos of the incident, as recorded by bystanders, speak for themselves,” Cassese said in a statement.

His attorney seems to think they'll have a case.  Slamming reporters to the deck is never a good look.  DeWine also disavowed responsibility for it.  It sounds to me like those in charge of this Charlie Foxtrot are getting a little edgy.  All politics aside though, it looks like this thing could cause huge amounts of harm to the environment and to the locals.  The tanks were emitting phosgene, FHS.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Apparently Norfolk Southern is willing to help the residents to the tune of $5 per person.

Jesus. How generous of them lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

They basically told people that the slow controlled burn off solved the problem.

How true that actually is idk.

If they burn it off, it prevents it from leaching into the soil and flowing into the water supply.  Instead they fill the air with toxins.

Here I am beating this drum again, but every safety precaution costs too much for the railroads until it doesn't.   Then some town pays the price and sometimes people die.  All insurance is a waste of money until they have an accident and need it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/02/26/look-some-transportation-safety-rules-sidelined-under-president-trump/372400002/

Trains

► A final rule requiring all trains have at least two crew members was sent to the White House for approval in December 2016. The rule was sent back to the Federal Railroad Administration six days after Trump's inauguration. It has since been moved from the White House list of active rulemakings to the long-term agenda. The proposal was prompted in part by a 2013 derailment in which a runaway oil train improperly secured by a lone engineer careened into  a Canadian town, igniting a fierce fire that killed 47 people. Most trains already have two crew members. Freight railroads, which want to keep open the option of single-person crews as trains become more automated, oppose the rule.

DOT has repealed a 2015 rule requiring train cars that haul highly flammable crude oil be equipped with advanced braking systems that stop tank cars simultaneously. Most trains use conventional air brakes that stop cars one after the other.  Freight railroads say the rule's safety benefits are marginal and don't justify the cost. DOT says its revised analysis of the rule shows costs would outstrip benefits. Union officials say the advanced brakes are far superior to conventional brakes.

• Like 5

Yea so the real story there is that big rail road confidently assumed a generous donation to the DOT was cheaper than the brake systems. 

I did see a video last night of the train 20 miles before the crash sight with the undercarriage of a train car on fire.