Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biden to award Medal of Honor to Vietnam-era Army officer

Grim Reaper 6

One of the first Black officers to lead a Special Forces team in combat will receive the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest award for bravery on the battlefield, nearly 60 years after he distinguished himself during the Vietnam War. President Joe Biden telephoned ret. U.S. Army Col. Paris Davis on Monday “to inform him that he will receive the Medal of Honor for his remarkable heroism during the Vietnam War.” The White House also said Biden told Davis that he looks forward to hosting him at the White House. A date for the medal ceremony was not immediately announced.

Davis was recommended for the Medal of Honor after he distinguished himself on June 18, 1965, during a pre-dawn raid on a North Vietnamese army camp in Bong Son. A major enemy counterattack followed and wounded every American there. (Davis, who retired as a colonel in 1985, repeatedly sprinted into an open rice paddy to rescue each member of his team, using his pinky finger to fire his rifle after an enemy grenade shattered his hand, according to the ArmyTimes. His entire team survived the battle.)

The paperwork recommending Davis, who is now in his early 80s, for the Medal of Honor disappeared at least twice, the paper reported. He eventually was awarded a Silver Star Medal, but members of Davis' team have long argued that race was a factor in the handling of the recommendation.

Biden to award Medal of Honor to Vietnam-era Army officer (msn.com)

@Commander CMG

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Yeah well BOM gave rush limpbog a metal of freedom and racism didnt slow it down at all.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Yeah well BOM gave rush limpbog a metal of freedom and racism didnt slow it down at all.

Yes, that sucks my friend, but this man truly deserves his aware his citation says it all!:tu: I joined the US Military in 1978, so I am fully aware how Racist our Armed Forces once were, and that didn’t really change until the Mid-1980s. Now, it’s one place in our country where everyone gets treated according to their accomplishments and not their ethnic background or skin color, it’s truly a place to serve with pride!:tu:

Peace bats, thanks for your post!:tu:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

To clarify i meant rush being a racist didnt hurt him getting an aware from BOM.

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

To clarify i meant rush being a racist didnt hurt him getting an aware from BOM.

Rush wasn't a racist except in the eyes of the Left.  Snurdly...a proud black man...was instrumental in Rush's success and his key right hand man.

The epitome of racism is awarding a Black American not because he was decorated...but because...exclusively because...he was a Black American.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gII8D-lzbA

7 hours ago, joc said:

Rush wasn't a racist except in the eyes of the Left.  Snurdly...a proud black man...was instrumental in Rush's success and his key right hand man.

The epitome of racism is awarding a Black American not because he was decorated...but because...exclusively because...he was a Black American.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gII8D-lzbA

Well that’s not the situation with the Soldier receiving the award this threads about. Racism was obviously the reason he wasn’t awarded the Medal of Honor in the 1960s, I hope they also back date his additional pay because he certainly deserves that too. I joined the Military in 1978, and Racism was still a powerful force, that didn’t change until the Mid-1980s.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Then-Captain Paris D. Davis distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty while serving as Commander of Detachment A-321, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces, during combat operations against an armed enemy in the vicinity of Bong Son, Republic of Vietnam, June 17-18, 1965.  Captain Davis, commanding an inexperienced South Vietnamese regional raiding force, learned that a vastly superior North Vietnamese enemy force was operating in the area. Through surprise and leadership, he gained the tactical advantage, personally engaging and killing several enemy soldiers.

Wounded while leading the initial assault, Captain Davis continued moving forward, personally engaging the enemy in hand-to-hand combat.  Launching a counterattack, the superior enemy force separated Captain Davis from his main Regional Force Company.  Charging under the intense enemy fire, Captain Davis personally led four others in the destruction of enemy gun emplacements and captured more enemy personnel.  Afterwards, Captain Davis moved to regroup his forces and break contact with the enemy to allow his expertly guided tactical air and artillery fire to obliterate the foe.

However, the enemy again counter-attacked in superior numbers and Captain Davis was struck by automatic weapons fire.  So close was the charging enemy soldier that shot him, Captain Davis engaged him in close-quarter combat and was again wounded in the process of defeating this soldier.  Captain Davis then led his men to reorganize into abandoned enemy fighting positions as he continued to call for artillery and air support

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/03/01/president-joseph-r-biden-jr-to-award-the-medal-of-honor-2/

• Like 2

It took 23 minutes? Ain’t nobody got time for that. 

Much love to our veterans and service members. We don’t need a 23 minute video of the ceremony. 

On 2/14/2023 at 6:04 PM, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Well that’s not the situation with the Soldier receiving the award this threads about. Racism was obviously the reason he wasn’t awarded the Medal of Honor in the 1960s, I hope they also back date his additional pay because he certainly deserves that too. I joined the Military in 1978, and Racism was still a powerful force, that didn’t change until the Mid-1980s.

Yeah that is an amazing story. A true hero. And if he wasn’t awarded the MOH because of race, then it’s time to correct that. 

My only hope, and I won’t hold my breath, that this will be to honor what this man did, instead of what color he is. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, preacherman76 said:

Yeah that is an amazing story. A true hero. And if he wasn’t awarded the MOH because of race, then it’s time to correct that. 

My only hope, and I won’t hold my breath, that this will be to honor what this man did, instead of what color he is. 

It was awarded by President Biden today see post #7.

Thanks for your post