Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All Quiet in the Seventh Precinct

Doug1066

We had an election yesterday.  The Seventh Precinct had 16 voters (out of 516 registered) - 3.1%.  To be fair, it was a lack-luster election.  We elected a city councilman, voted on some ballot initiatives and continuation of some taxes that were about to sunset.

The most-exciting part of the day was when the wind blew our "VOTE HERE" sign across the parking lot.  We had to retrieve it several times.

We had several people from other precincts want to vote in ours.  We had to refer them to the correct ones.

We had one lady come in and want to vote in the Seventh Precinct, but she had forgotten her ID.  The Clerk suggested she run home and get it.  This is a small precinct and we aren't going anywhere.  She said that was too far as she lived out on Country Club.  TILT!  That's way outside the precinct bounds; she lives in another precinct.  I checked the registry and she was duly registered with us.  I asked what the listed address was and she said it was her office.  She had been voting in this precinct for years.  That's illegal.  We referred the matter to the Election Board.  She decided not to vote and walked out.

Theoretically, she could be prosecuted.  I don't think she meant to throw an election, though.  She did it just because it was more convenient for her.  Our recommendation:  correct the registration information and let bygones be bygones.  There are more-important lawbreakers to go after.

It cost $310 in staff pay to hold the election in Precinct Seven - $19.38 per vote!  Then there are the costs of printing special ballots, operating an extra voting machine, etc.

At any rate, there are now 515 registered voters in Precinct Seven.

Doug

• Like 2

I expect local and state elections to become much more active in the near term.  I think a lot of Americans are about to reject the idea of playing along in national elections as though they even matter any longer.  Holding locals to account is much easier, even if their job becomes assisting locals to ignore the illegitimate clowns in DC.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, and-then said:

I expect local and state elections to become much more active in the near term.  I think a lot of Americans are about to reject the idea of playing along in national elections as though they even matter any longer.  Holding locals to account is much easier, even if their job becomes assisting locals to ignore the illegitimate clowns in DC.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.  That horse is dead, you can stop beating it now. 

Edited by HSlim
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, and-then said:

I expect local and state elections to become much more active in the near term.

Our next election is March 7.  The recreational marijuana referendum is coming up for a vote.  And Precinct Seven has a lot of students.  We're expecting a big turnout.

Doug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug1066 said:

Our next election is March 7.  The recreational marijuana referendum is coming up for a vote.  And Precinct Seven has a lot of students.  We're expecting a big turnout.

Doug

Good luck.  Georgia won't put it to a vote. 

2 hours ago, and-then said:

I agree.   We have already seen it where I live.