Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haley calls for ‘mental competency tests’ for politicians over 75

OverSword

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

How about you just make the age restriction that they have to be 70 or younger.   And they all should have a competency test no matter what age.

I keep on saying that. That should be the case with every politician especially over 65. 65 should be the cut off anyway and 70 would disqualify. Not because the age itself but because of the disparity with the younger generation. 65 dreams of 25, 45 years ago, but 65 does not know what 25 is going thru today.

• Like 9

Seems reasonable. 

Feel like by that age if they are still working is should definitely be in some desk job capacity and not field 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

How about you just make the age restriction that they have to be 70 or younger.   And they all should have a competency test no matter what age.

No way.  I know too many very competent people in their 70's and experience is a plus.

7 minutes ago, odas said:

I keep on saying that. That should be the case with every politician especially over 65. 65 should be the cut off anyway and 70 would disqualify. Not because the age itself but because of the disparity with the younger generation. 65 dreams of 25, 45 years ago, but 65 does not know what 25 is going thru today.

Pishaw. What people in their 20's are going through today compared to that same group in the 70's or 80's is meh.  People these days tend to not even burden themselves with real responsibilities until they are in the thirties at least from what I see.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Seems reasonable. 

Feel like by that age if they are still working is should definitely be in some desk job capacity and not field 

I hope I don't have to work when I am 70, it is hard enough now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

How about a mental competency test for all of them?

The issue being there is no constitutional requirement or standard for competency.  This is really just kind of a political stunt to highlight the age of her current competition.  But I like the move.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I hope I never have to retire full time.

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

No way.  I know too many very competent people in their 70's and experience is a plus.

Pishaw. What people in their 20's are going through today compared to that same group in the 70's or 80's is meh.  People these days tend to not even burden themselves with real responsibilities until they are in the thirties at least from what I see.

Yeah, most people who are copetent at the age of 70 still do not have the stamina to have some onerous job like president or senator of the U.S.   Too much energy and attention is required.   I will check back with you when you are 70 and see how you feel then.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, OverSword said:

That is because you have no hobbies or are you working at your hobbies?   Men tend to have a problem with retirement when they have no life outside of work.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Most police have such a nice pension that I would image none are working at 75 unless they want to 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is because you have no hobbies or are you working at your hobbies?   Men tend to have a problem with retirement when they have no life outside of work.

I am a guitarist and artist.  But that is not a reason to get up, shower, and do something every day or to have the amount of social interactions that I get going into the office regularly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I like her ideas, especially term limits.   

But I think the “mental competency tests” will need to be for all ages in order to avoid ageism.   But that is fine, as we have seen some young nuts try.

• Like 3

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Most police have such a nice pension that I would image none are working at 75 unless they want to 

The ones who are still alive at 75 probably can't work as a policeman.   I know my ex has a good pension and he still works part time as an investigator for the D.A. in the county he lives in.   He doesn't have any hobbies that keep him out of trouble.  There is no way he would be fit to work as a cop now and he is still 4 years from being 70.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I am a guitarist and artist.  But that is not a reason to get up, shower, and do something every day or to have the amount of social interactions that I get going into the office regularly. 

I could see your music keeping you busy at your own pace when you are old enough to retire, teaching kids to play the guitar, helping kids create a band, showing them the ropes on how to get shows etc.   Even just playing your guitar at a retirement home once a week.   That would get you out of bed and interacting with people.  Don't worry, I am not planning your life for you, just pointing out that as a musician you have many more options for retirement than most people who work in an office.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

I like her ideas, especially term limits.   

But I think the “mental competency tests” will need to be for all ages in order to avoid ageism.   But that is fine, as we have seen some young nuts try.

What would be the standards and is that requirement constitutional or would it interfere with voters rights to elect their own leaders?  It's a slippery slope if you ask me.  Good political stunt I think on the part of Nikki but a standard competency test to run for office will never happen.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OverSword said:

See, you base your hopes on your needs and wants hence staying in the way of the younger generation.

When I was 25 ish I was able to earn enough by myself to support my family as was the case with everyone who was young and worked in the 60's, 70's,  80's up to early 2000.

Times have changed to the worse. Old generation, including me and you, have screwed it up for the young. So, you, we, can blame the young ones all day long but the truth is WE are the bad guys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1. P.S.  Retirement doesn't mean you stop everything, it means you shouldn't have to get up and go to work for someone every day even when you don't feel like it.   I have a long list of things I will be doing next year when I am retired before I am 70.   My mother worked until she was 70 because of money issues, and when she retired she kept on with her hobbies, tutoring dyslexic children, active in the poodle club and rescue groups, etc.   But she did not have the grind of having to be at work.    
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, odas said:

See, you base your hopes on your needs and wants hence staying in the way of the younger generation.

When I was 25 ish I was able to earn enough by myself to support my family as was the case with everyone who was young and worked in the 60's, 70's,  80's up to early 2000.

Times have changed to the worse. Old generation, including me and you, have screwed it up for the young. So, you, we, can blame the young ones all day long but the truth is WE are the bad guys.

How am I staying in the way of the younger generation? :rolleyes:  But yes, I am not concerned with society as a whole or some other generation over my ow well being and health

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

There's an App for that, no problem.  It's called a Constitutional Amendment.  I have no doubt that some states may try to do this individually, but the Supremacy Clause will put paid to that as well.  There may be a way to get such testing done voluntarily, but to add it legislatively is a non-starter.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, and-then said:

There's an App for that, no problem.  It's called a Constitutional Amendment.  I have no doubt that some states may try to do this individually, but the Supremacy Clause will put paid to that as well.  There may be a way to get such testing done voluntarily, but to add it legislatively is a non-starter.  

I agree, it should not be legislative, not the testing anyway, too many ways to interpret that.   But the age restriction should be added.