Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haley calls for ‘mental competency tests’ for politicians over 75

OverSword

15 hours ago, Myles said:

I do.  In politics, most that have been at it for 30 years are some of the most corrupt.  They have the people they owe and the people that owe them.   Palosi is 1 example.  She has known the money train keeps coming and she stayed to enjoy it.  She is not the only one and it is Republicans and Democrats.  I would suggest 2 terms for the Senate and 3 terms for the House.  

Agree. Experience does not equal to wisdom as we all can see with our politicians. Also it is rather sad that wisdom hits at a stage when one is about to die anyway instead when one is at the hight of strength and youth. Someone screwed up our genetics big time.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, odas said:

Agree. Experience does not equal to wisdom as we all can see with our politicians. 

Especially when we all know most politicians are corrupt scoundrels, both the right and the left.  Getting new names on the ballot would be a good thing.  I feel that most incumbents get reelected mostly because voters know their names.   Kind of similar to the Eddie Murphy movie, The Distinguished Gentleman.   

• Like 3

12 hours ago, the13bats said:

In my 20s into 30s i would run hard at the club book bands off nites sleep there ( bandroom with shower ) and maybe go a week or more and not see home more than a minute to grab something, now 58 my two weekend nites are about as much "run hard" as i can do, when im called in extra its very draining, i see being potus as a very very draining run hard 24 7 job, i do not believe biden or BOM are up to it.

Maybe when i hit 70 if i make it that long ill have a sweet spot at a radio station programming.

There were rumors that when Reagan was president his wife did the job for him most days, similar rumors about Jimmie Carter, though I don't think anyone thought he was too old (or at least most people didn't) but it was obvious Reagan should have been sitting in a rocking chair in a nice home with a great view.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I think it shoukd be like in Blade Runner... "You flip over the tortoise...". "Why would I do that?...". "Because you're a politician..."

I tend to agree all high level government officials should be given a test, not just to test for competency, but to look for psychotic tendencies also.

That means we wouldn't have any politicians, we wouild have to go back to the original design of our governance and insist people volunteer for 2 to 4 years and then go back to their real life.    Sounds good to me, but we have had too much of the koolaid and most people would think that daft, as well as there would be a hard time finding volunteers.   Or we could enact a draft using some criteria that included competency to make decisions that affect others, physical stamina and common sense.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Portre said:

You mean like riding a bike or a golfing?

No I mean like having people coming at you 24/7 demanding things you know nothing about (or can't remember), every action scruitnized.   That takes stamina.

• Confused 1

Again, proof that lunatics are leading our world:

Virginia governor clears path for ‘extreme’ bill allowing police to seek menstrual histories

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/virginia-governor-clears-path-for-extreme-bill-allowing-police-to-seek-menstrual-histories/ar-AA17xP8j?li=AAggFp5

What the hell is wrong with people? Who or what gives them this right. At least the taliban don't pretend they are treating women better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, odas said:

Virginia governor clears path for ‘extreme’ bill allowing police to seek menstrual histories

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/virginia-governor-clears-path-for-extreme-bill-allowing-police-to-seek-menstrual-histories/ar-AA17xP8j?li=AAggFp5

What the hell is wrong with people? Who or what gives them this right. At least the taliban don't pretend they are treating women better.

This is insane!  I thought most people were crazy in the part of Virginia I lived in for a year and a half, but this makes it even more evident.   There is something in the water, or flouride really is as bad for the mind as some say, because the water (because of mining) is tainted with extra high amounts of flouride in Virginia.   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Myles said:

At the places I have worked, the old experienced employees have been forced to leave.   Some are offered buy outs.  Good businesses know that change is not always a bad thing.

I find it odd that you are in favor of keeping the members of congress who have been in there for decades.

I value experience.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, and-then said:

You know, the fact that tens of millions of Americans believe that election was stolen, makes him as viable a candidate as any other and the beliefs of those like yourself to the contrary doesn't change his ability to run.  Eventually, you lot are going to finally grasp that the beliefs of that many Americans MATTERS, even to you ;) 

Trump's 2020 presidential campaign hired a research firm to probe the results for election fraud but found no evidence, with the findings kept away from the public.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, odas said:

American Taliban

How War, Sex, Sin, and Power Bind Jihadists and the Radical Right

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

This is insane!  I thought most people were crazy in the part of Virginia I lived in for a year and a half, but this makes it even more evident.   There is something in the water, or flouride really is as bad for the mind as some say, because the water (because of mining) is tainted with extra high amounts of flouride in Virginia.   

That or I think it's covid and long covid damaging many people's brain cells all over the planet at various times and places. People acting like this should literally get their head examined. :D

• Like 3

Just now, Katniss said:

That or I think it's covid and long covid damaging many people's brain cells all over the planet at various times and places. People acting like this should literally get their head examined. :D

I think that could be part of it.  When I saw the difference between a week before my aunt got covid and the weeks after she was recovering, and how she never got her mind back even months later, I realized that the "covid mind" was not a joke.    I even still feel the effects mentally, I have always been a little forgetful but now I have to write everything down and it takes me twice as long to figure stuff out for work.  It is getting better every week but I wonder if I will ever be completely back like I was before mentally.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think that could be part of it.  When I saw the difference between a week before my aunt got covid and the weeks after she was recovering, and how she never got her mind back even months later, I realized that the "covid mind" was not a joke.    I even still feel the effects mentally, I have always been a little forgetful but now I have to write everything down and it takes me twice as long to figure stuff out for work.  It is getting better every week but I wonder if I will ever be completely back like I was before mentally.  

Oh you mean the brain fog effect from long covid?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Oh you mean the brain fog effect from long covid?

Yes.   My aunt used to be able to take care of herself, do her own laundry, shower, fix her food (microwave, she never cooked), make her bed, etc., now she is doing better, which means she is talking again but she has no motivation to do anything.   She won't get up and move around, even though she is able, unless I insist.    She doesn't keep herself clean and she would just sit in her chair or go to bed and sleep if I didn't make her walk around etc.  She doesn't even ask for food, just waits for me to bring it to her.  And she can't remember being sick or anything that happened before she got sick.   She was mildly into dementia and it was slowly getting worse, but now her mind is gone.  

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes.   My aunt used to be able to take care of herself, do her own laundry, shower, fix her food (microwave, she never cooked), make her bed, etc., now she is doing better, which means she is talking again but she has no motivation to do anything.   She won't get up and move around, even though she is able, unless I insist.    She doesn't keep herself clean and she would just sit in her chair or go to bed and sleep if I didn't make her walk around etc.  She doesn't even ask for food, just waits for me to bring it to her.  And she can't remember being sick or anything that happened before she got sick.   She was mildly into dementia and it was slowly getting worse, but now her mind is gone.  

:( Oh that's so sad. Before the covid pandemic, I remember my husband's grandfather went through that when he had Alzheimer's disease. But when people with pre-existing dementia or mild cognitive impairment get long covid, I think it's so much worse for them than it normally is and I don't know what doctors do in those cases. But it usually gets better after some time has passed for people without those pre-existing conditions.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Katniss said:

:( Oh that's so sad. Before the covid pandemic, I remember my husband's grandfather went through that when he had Alzheimer's disease. But when people with pre-existing dementia or mild cognitive impairment get long covid, I think it's so much worse for them than it normally is and I don't know what doctors do in those cases. But it usually gets better after some time has passed for people without those pre-existing conditions.

Yes, the doctors had her getting physical therapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy but after 8 weeks the insurance would not pay for it.  I know it helped her a lot and I try to do some of it too, but I am not trained to know what to do.   I am working on getting her in to a medicaid program that would provide all that every week for her without the insurance deciding any of it.   I am still waiting to hear from them, hopefully in the next week I will know if she got in or not.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Portre said:

I value experience.

I usually do, but not in the case of politicians.   Experience breeds corruption. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, the doctors had her getting physical therapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy but after 8 weeks the insurance would not pay for it.  I know it helped her a lot and I try to do some of it too, but I am not trained to know what to do.   I am working on getting her in to a medicaid program that would provide all that every week for her without the insurance deciding any of it.   I am still waiting to hear from them, hopefully in the next week I will know if she got in or not.

That sounds promising. I hope it goes well for you and your aunt.

• Thanks 1

Nikki Haley blasts Don Lemon for ‘sexist’ comments about women’s ‘prime’ 

Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley tore into CNN’s Don Lemon on Thursday after the host made comments suggesting women over the age of 50 are no longer in their “prime.”

Haley, who announced a run for the presidency earlier this week, shared a video clip of the host’s comments and wrote, “liberals can’t stand the idea of having competency tests for older politicians to make sure they can do the job.”

“BTW it’s always the liberals who are the most sexist,” Haley said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/3861613-nikki-haley-blasts-don-lemon-for-sexist-comments-about-womens-prime/

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Women are past their prime at 50, but men can go on until 70?

Quote from a hard left pundit too.  Maybe he thinks women are only good for sex?

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Women are past their prime at 50, but men can go on until 70?

That is a weird attitude since women tend to live longer than men and also tend to be active at older ages than men (there are exceptions on both sides of the coin, but they are exceptions).   

• Like 2