Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

God created man in His own image

Dejarma

On 2/20/2023 at 2:56 AM, and-then said:

Ah... but I don't make any claim to know or to ever be able to know that answer apart from the will of God.  I'm pretty sure those kneeling before the science altar, firmly believe they will.  The part of this that baffles me most is the absolute intransigence against even the idea of a Creator.  They are no more able to disprove it than people of faith are to prove it.  Yet, it's those of faith who are generally seen as ignorant, even willfully so.  

I'm pretty sure those kneeling before the science altar, firmly believe they will. Nope, they are pretty firmly convinced they will never understand it. That doesn't mean they also have to belive that a supernatural being was involved.

They are no more able to disprove it than people of faith are to prove it. Honestly, this point is  being answered constantly. It is not up to disbelievers to prove their disbelieve, it is up to the proponents to prove theirs. Russell's teapot- Russell proposed there is a teapot circling the Earth, so small it cannot be detected. Do you believe this? It is true though, there really is a teapot orbiting the Earth. According to your hypothesis, it would be irrational to disbelieve this simply because we can't provide proof it doesn't exist. 

• Like 3

On 2/20/2023 at 1:01 AM, Dejarma said:

I'm told humans were created in gods image....

I've thought about this too. Humans are similar to all other life on earth- carbon-based, multicellular, carry out similar processes of respiration, nutrition, reproduction, etc. They are very similar to to other mammals- four limbs, two kidneys, digestive tract, two eyes, seven neck vertebrae, same mode of reproduction, etc. If you compare them to apes, the main difference would be higher intelligence.

So- God created all life in his image, which means he may not look like the traditional image of Jesus: a good-looking Caucasian with blue eyes, long mousey hair, carrying a lamb under one arm- he may look like this:

jpUGLY-1-jumbo jpg.jpg

Edited by pellinore

On 2/27/2023 at 1:13 AM, Crazy Horse said:

Mankind is the only species that can have mercy,

I had a whippet that would let baby rabbits go and a bullterrier cross mastiff pigdog that wouldn't harm baby pigs, I'd call that mercy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, openozy said:

I had a whippet that would let baby rabbits go and a bullterrier cross mastiff pigdog that wouldn't harm baby pigs, I'd call that mercy.

Pets, that have been genetically modified by countless generations of breeding, hardly count. Even then, as with humans, starvation would drive mercy right out of them. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/15/2023 at 1:15 PM, zep73 said:

It is geo blocked. But you can only be talking about a white hole, my friend, because black holes cannot "bang".

The only "hole" that can make a universe is a white hole. Which is hypothetical (no evidence).

This conversation about 'holes' is getting more silly as time goes by.

~An a**hole.

:rofl:

• Haha 2

Real holier-than-thou, this thread is getting. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Pets, that have been genetically modified by countless generations of breeding, hardly count. Even then, as with humans, starvation would drive mercy right out of them. 

But they are still non human and showing mercy. The dogs showed more mercy than me when doing pest control on these introduced animals. Of course if anything is starving it will do anything for a feed but that's not got nothing to do with my point.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, openozy said:

But they are still non human and showing mercy. The dogs showed more mercy than me when doing pest control on these introduced animals. Of course if anything is starving it will do anything for a feed but that's not got nothing to do with my point.

They are pets, whose behavior has been modified by selective breeding and are unnatural. You are anthropomorphizing their actions. 

On 3/19/2023 at 6:27 AM, openozy said:

That has nothing to do with the concept of mercy.

Mercy is given, (or not) after one has been wronged.

So unless the baby rabbits were planning to usurp your whippets authority, or the piglets were planning an insurrection against you and your mongrel dog, then it has nothing to do with mercy.  

Forgiveness, and then mercy, can only happen once there has been a deliberate act of wrong doing, otherwise its just nature playing-out in one of its infinite possibilities.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

Mercy is given, (or not) after one has been wronged

Hi Crazy Horse

Mercy is also when an invader who has not been wronged does not kill every man, woman and child in an area that they conquer, something that the god of the Hebrews did not do as he commanded to kill them all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crazy Horse

Mercy is also when an invader who has not been wronged does not kill every man, woman and child in an area that they conquer, something that the god of the Hebrews did not do as he commanded to kill them all.

That's not mercy, that's just a temporary break in ones psychopathy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

That's not mercy, that's just a temporary break in ones psychopathy.

Hi Crazy Horse

Maybe in your psychological wonder world it does however the rest of the world may disagree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crazy Horse

Maybe in your psychological wonder world it does however the rest of the world may disagree.

I care not what the rest of the world thinks, Jay, you should know that by now!

• Haha 3

Ya, try to keep up j~ ~      :rofl:          …but hmmm, I’m not sure feelings like love, compassion, and even something akin to mercy, are strictly human behavior.?     Wild Animals have been known to exhibit such things?    ..it figures really, all of us being formed from the same dust and all that.   :P  all life on earth has grown up together.. onions can cry..for example .          :whistle:

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crazy Horse

The poster thinks the god of the Bible is a sweetheart too. :P

Carry on, CH :D

Edited by Sherapy
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

The poster thinks the god of the Bible is a sweetheart too. :P

Carry on CH :D

Hi Sherapy 

More like a sugar daddy if he treats him right.:whistle:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I care not what the rest of the world thinks, Jay, you should know that by now!

Hi Crazy Horse

True as that may be you come to this forum because you care about something, I come here because I care about having a few laughs, learning something and to explore different perspectives of others. Sometimes it’s like spelunking going into dark holes of existence.:lol:

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Sherapy 

More like a sugar daddy if he treats him right.:whistle:

I don’t know Jay, sounds more like a perpetual ego trip to me. 

cormac

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

They are pets, whose behavior has been modified by selective breeding and are unnatural. You are anthropomorphizing their actions. 

Those dogs were not pets by any means, they were bred to hunt for generations, not driven by hunger, just the desire to hunt their given prey. Even more amazing they could show mercy. Their behavior is modified to be even more driven to hunt than wild canids.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

or the piglets were planning an insurrection against you and your mongrel dog, then it has nothing to do with mercy.  

You never know, have you seen Animal Farm? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, openozy said:

Those dogs were not pets by any means, they were bred to hunt for generations, not driven by hunger, just the desire to hunt their given prey. Even more amazing they could show mercy. Their behavior is modified to be even more driven to hunt than wild canids.

They're unnatural, genetically modified pets or livestock, which ever you prefer. 

On 2/27/2023 at 7:46 AM, Jon the frog said:

Nah human created god in is own image.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRip69aDXHxv1nqOXa0UgA

• Haha 5

50 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

They're unnatural, genetically modified pets or livestock, which ever you prefer. 

That's true but my point was that mercy/compassion isn't just a human trait. I've never had dogs do this before, it came from their own thoughts. Most pampered, very domesticated/humanized dogs will kill baby animals.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, openozy said:

That's true but my point was that mercy/compassion isn't just a human trait. I've never had dogs do this before, it came from their own thoughts. Most pampered, very domesticated/humanized dogs will kill baby animals.

Actually, like humans, animals evolved to be protective of the young, sometimes even the young of other species. It's an evolutionary survival trait. Yet they will eat them when they're hungry, bears most certainly will eat cubs and a lion that usurps control of a pride will kill the young of its former king to hasten the mother's estrus so it might pass its own genes on to a new generation. Cats and dogs, ducks and chickens that grow up together imprint on each other and neither fear nor are a threat to each other. It is instinctive behavior man has learned to manipulate and not at all the same as the human quality of mercy. For humans it's always a choice.

• Thanks 1