Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The real story of Atlantis

The Puzzler

3 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Which is a special kind of anagram.

But Erewhon is not a real anadrome of Nowhere; in that case it should have been Erehwon.

Indeed you are correct.  I was perhaps I was confused by seeing commonly spelt as an anadrome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

Is that like Tantaliis? 

I already wondered when you would come up with that...

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I already wondered when you would come up with that...

:lol:

lol I’m an open book 

When this on Netflix or National Geographic? :-) 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:54 AM, Abramelin said:

I believe he used the Phoenicians/Punics/Carthaginians and their accomplishments to add to his story.

Piney once suggested one of Plato's other inspirational sources was the war/battle between the Carthaginians and the Greeks on Sicily.

The closest match for Plato's battle-inspiration is the Carthaginians at 480 BC.  Reportedly, 300,000 troops from a western Mediterranean alliance (but led by the Carthaginians) attacked Sicily's Greeks, in the battle of Himera 480 BC. Spoiler alert -- the Greeks won that battle.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Himera_(480_BC)#Gelo_refuses_Greece_aid

Edited by atalante
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, atalante said:

The closest match for Plato's battle-inspiration is the Carthaginians at 480 BC.  Reportedly, 300,000 troops from a western Mediterranean alliance (but led by the Carthaginians) attacked Sicily's Greeks, in the battle of Himera 480 BC. Spoiler alert -- the Greeks won that battle.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Himera_(480_BC)#Gelo_refuses_Greece_aid

I’d go the Persian-Greco Wars myself.

In what Holland characterises as, in essence, the world's first referendum, Aristides was ostracised, and Themistocles's policies were endorsed. Indeed, becoming aware of the Persian preparations for the coming invasion, the Athenians voted to build more ships than those for which Themistocles had asked.[119] Thus, during the preparations for the Persian invasion, Themistocles had become the leading politician in Athens.”

The ancient sources that give details of the treaty are reasonably consistent in their description of the terms:[19][196][197]

• All Greek cities of Asia were to 'live by their own laws' or 'be autonomous' (depending on translation).
  • Persian satraps (and presumably their armies) were not to travel west of the Halys River (Isocrates) or closer than a day's journey on horseback to the Aegean Sea (Callisthenes) or closer than three days' journey on foot to the Aegean Sea (Ephorusand Diodorus).
  • No Persian warship was to sail west of Phaselis (on the southern coast of Asia Minor), nor west of the Cyanaean rocks(probably at the eastern end of the Bosporus, on the north coast).
  • If the terms were observed by the king and his generals, then the Athenians were not to send troops to lands ruled by Persia.
  •  
  • https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Persian_Wars

“The first Persian invasion of Greece, during the Greco-Persian Wars, began in 492 BC, and ended with the decisive Athenian victory at the Battle of Marathon ...”

The Lacadaemonians wanted to make a pact with Persia since Perses, not Perseus, was a Spartan namesake of Persia through Medea, of Colchis, of who made them relations to Persians and Phoenicians.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 1

I forgot my main point for thinking so…

Solon fought in the Persian-Greece wars at Salamis.

Oh, I’m an Erudite now according to UM, ”having or showing great knowledge or learning.” Nice.

Edited by The Puzzler

Alexander the Great attacked Persia as a payback.

Alexander was a student of Aristotle. This is what Plato wanted to see…someone spring into action from his teachings of who the enemy was and how to save the “Greek” way of life, a democratic life, where if the proper leaders were in place, the country would leap forward, which it did….the teachings of Athena, the philosophy of Aristotle, Plato and Socrates.

The crusade by Alexander was the prophetic telling of Atlantis.

Edited by The Puzzler

On 2/26/2023 at 8:42 PM, Golden Duck said:

Indeed you are correct.  I was perhaps I was confused by seeing commonly spelt as an anadrome.

I like palindromes best. Madam I’m Adam. 

19 hours ago, iAlrakis said:

I know, we should have an UM channel.

I didn’t even get to the interesting part yet. The Pythagorean tuning of the world creation and Atlantis.

The system dates to Ancient Mesopotamia; (yada yada)….ascribed the division of the tetrachord by only two intervals, called "semitonium", "tonus", "tonus" in Latin (256:243 × 9:8 × 9:8), to Eratosthenes.”https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_tuning

Creating the actual world…”Where there were intervals of 3/2 and of 4/3 and of 9/8, made by the connecting terms in the former intervals, he filled up all the intervals of 4/3 with the interval of 9/8, leaving a fraction over; and the interval which this fraction expressed was in the ratio of 256 to 243. 
http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/timaeus.html

All the numbers and fractions….

that the three double intervals [i.e. between 1, 2, 4, 8], and the three triple intervals [i.e. between 1, 3, 9, 27], together with the mean terms and connecting links which are expressed by the ratios of 3 : 2, and 4 : 3, and of 9 : 8-these, although they cannot be wholly undone except by him who united them, were twisted by them in all sorts of ways, and the circles were broken and disordered in every possible manner, so that when they moved they were tumbling to pieces”

Edited by The Puzzler

19 hours ago, iAlrakis said:

And I tell ya, I should be hosting The Discovery Channel. 2008, my Richat Structure discovery, not that I buy that idea anymore but many did, now, if I just had a dollar for them all…

64BF8BCB-35B8-4DAA-B5D6-AC80CF6A390F.jpeg

• 7 months later...

Nice map grandpa, Europe was like an island..

Your link?

Edited by The Puzzler

The Caspian hasn't been connected to the Black Sea for 11 million years.

Harte

• Like 3

On 10/6/2023 at 7:18 AM, Harte said:

Harte

So, that map is from 11 million years ago?

Archeological studies of Gobustan Rock Art have identified what may be dolphins[42] and porpoises,[43][44] likely present in the Caspian Sea at least until the Quaternary or much more recent periods such as the last glacial period or antiquity.[45] Although the rock art on Kichikdash Mountain is assumed to be of a dolphin[46] it might instead represent the famous beluga sturgeon due to its size (430 cm in length), but fossil records suggest certain ancestors of modern dolphins and whales, such as Macrokentriodon morani (bottlenose dolphins) and Balaenoptera sibbaldina (blue whales) were presumably larger than their present descendants. From the same artworks, auks, like Brunnich's Guillemot could also have been in the sea as well, and these petroglyphs suggest marine inflow between the current Caspian Sea and the Arctic Ocean or North Sea, or the Black Sea.[46] This is supported by the existences of current endemic, oceanic species such as lagoon cockles which was genetically identified to originate in Caspian/Black Seas regions.[47]

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Puzzler said:

So, that map is from 11 million years ago?

Ancestors.jpg.7964b19c169cf3e237b6ed0bce8e448b.jpg

Harte

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, granpa said:

Archeological studies of Gobustan Rock Art have identified what may be dolphins[42] and porpoises,[43][44] likely present in the Caspian Sea at least until the Quaternary or much more recent periods such as the last glacial period or antiquity.[45] Although the rock art on Kichikdash Mountain is assumed to be of a dolphin[46] it might instead represent the famous beluga sturgeon due to its size (430 cm in length), but fossil records suggest certain ancestors of modern dolphins and whales, such as Macrokentriodon morani (bottlenose dolphins) and Balaenoptera sibbaldina (blue whales) were presumably larger than their present descendants. From the same artworks, auks, like Brunnich's Guillemot could also have been in the sea as well, and these petroglyphs suggest marine inflow between the current Caspian Sea and the Arctic Ocean or North Sea, or the Black Sea.[46] This is supported by the existences of current endemic, oceanic species such as lagoon cockles which was genetically identified to originate in Caspian/Black Seas regions.[47]

Evidence indicates the presence of dolphins in the Caspian Sea during the Upper Quaternary.
We are today in the Upper Quaternary.
Your cockles may have originated in the Caspian/Black Sea area, but they were all the same sea basin 11 million years ago.
Harte

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Harte said:

Ancestors.jpg.7964b19c169cf3e237b6ed0bce8e448b.jpg

Harte

Ahh, always keeping me on my toes lol 

• Haha 2

On 10/5/2023 at 10:18 PM, Harte said:

Harte

It wàs, and rather recently:

Sediments and stratigraphy evidence from the Caspian basin show that large flooding fed by FIS melting occurred (in Ponto-Caspian) from 17 to 10 ka, with an overflow to the Black Sea from 16 to 14 ka13 (Fig. 1). This finding was further confirmed by studies suggesting that the Ponto-Caspian basin collected meltwater and trapped fine-grained sediment transported from the southeastern margin of the FIS during the deglaciation (mainly through the Dnieper and Volga rivers)7.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-12055-1

url(20).png.c53eea935e4bbcc3d6b4699828f37ade.png

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Sediments and stratigraphy evidence from the Caspian basin show that large flooding fed by FIS melting occurred (in Ponto-Caspian) from 17 to 10 ka, with an overflow to the Black Sea from 16 to 14 ka13 (Fig. 1). This finding was further confirmed by studies suggesting that the Ponto-Caspian basin collected meltwater and trapped fine-grained sediment transported from the southeastern margin of the FIS during the deglaciation (mainly through the Dnieper and Volga rivers)7.

That’s a great article.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Technically and temporarily.

Harte

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Harte said:

Technically and temporarily.

Harte

Yes, of course.

It has nothing to do with what Granpa suggested: the Sarmatian Lake that formed after the closing of the Tethys Sea:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/a-maximal-configuration-of-the-shorelines-of-the-Sarmatian-Sea-Lake-according-to-the_fig3_304574554

a-maximal-configuration-of-the-shorelines-of-the-Sarmatian-Sea-Lake-according-to-the.thumb.png.55c54bb20a9e4182080e6fcd3486615d.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspian_Sea

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 3

On 2/27/2023 at 1:55 PM, The Puzzler said:

I’d go the Persian-Greco Wars myself.

I go for the Carthaginians.

Why? Just look on any map of their colonies: Marseilles/Massilia (France), Cadiz/Gadir and several others in Iberia, Sardinia, Sicily, Malta, Atlantic coast of Africa (for instance Lixus), and several others in northern Africa... up to Egypt.

14796.png

Remember how far the influence of 'Atlantis' reached according to Plato's story?

Then there is their circular and protected kind of harbour, the 'cothon':

197f7563de2ada452cb9646326c9cb18.jpg

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 2

• The topic was locked