Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Most young men are single. Most young women are not.

OverSword

More than 60 percent of young men are single, nearly twice the rate of unattached young women, signaling a larger breakdown in the social, romantic and sexual life of the American male. 

Men in their 20s are more likely than women in their 20s to be romantically uninvolved, sexually dormant, friendless and lonely. They stand at the vanguard of an epidemic of declining marriage, sexuality and relationships that afflicts all of young America.  

“We’re in a crisis of connection,” said Niobe Way, a psychology professor and founder of the Project for the Advancement of Our Common Humanity at New York University. “Disconnection from ourselves and disconnection from each other. And it’s getting worse.” 

In the worst-case scenario, the young American man’s social disconnect can have tragic consequences. Young men commit suicide at four times the rate of young women. Younger men are largely responsible for rising rates of mass shootings, a trend some researchers link to their growing social isolation. 

Link

• Like 6

Resident population of the United States by sex and age as of July 1, 2021

https://www.statista.com/statistics/241488/population-of-the-us-by-sex-and-age/

If you look at these numbers the ratio in the USA of male to female is about 50/50 across all age groups.  That being the case we can assume that a high rate of women (maybe around 30% I'm guestimating) are in lesbian relationships.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

If you look at these numbers the ratio in the USA of male to female is about 50/50.  That being the case we can assume that a high rate of women (maybe around 30% I'm guestimating) are in lesbian relationships.

I guess so. I don't really know how else to make sense of the numbers. Polygamy isn't a big thing in society 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I guess so. I don't really know how else to make sense of the numbers. Polygamy isn't a big thing in society 

I got a laugh from @L.A.T.1961 so I guess I should clarify that I meant young women (probably in their twenties and thirties) as is stated in the title of the thread and article. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I got a laugh from @L.A.T.1961 so I guess I should clarify that I meant young women in their twenties and thirties as is stated in the title of the thread and article. 

Oh I see. 

Hmmm. It still seems odd that it's not 50/50.

Maybe younger woman are just dating older men. But then wouldn't older woman be more single?

• Like 2

I guess I should just not be lazy and read the article lol.

Some of them are dating each other. One-fifth of Generation Z identifies as queer, and research suggests bisexual women make up a large share of the young-adult queer community.  

Young women are also dating and marrying slightly older men, carrying on a tradition that stretches back more than a century. The average age at first marriage is around 30 for men, 28 for women, according to census figures. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Oh I see. 

Hmmm. It still seems odd that it's not 50/50.

Maybe younger woman are just dating older men. But then wouldn't older woman be more single?

I know quite a few lesbian couples, but that are in their 40's so probably outside the scope of this study.  Many of them got into lesbian relationships later in life after doing the whole marriage with a house kids and a dog. 

Could movements like the feminist war against the patriarchy, MGTOW, etc be an influence? edit to add social media weirdness. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

MGTOW

The hell is this acronym? Lol

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The hell is this acronym? Lol

Men Going Their Own Way.  There are tons of videos on YouTube instructing young men that there is no advantage to them being in a relationship with a woman.  The narrative goes something like if you get married and have kids and she decides to leave you she can leave with the house that you still have to pay for, half of your assets as well as child support and in some states alimony all while the guy she replaces you with lives in the house and sees your kids more than you do.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Men Going Their Own Way.  There are tons of videos on YouTube instructing young men that there is no advantage to them being in a relationship with a woman.  The narrative goes something like if you get married and have kids and she decides to leave you she can leave with the house that you still have to pay for, half of your assets as well as child support and in some states alimony all while the guy she replaces you with lives in the house and sees your kids more than you do.

Interesting. Thanks, I actually never heard of this. Though I have seen that logic mentioned before, just without the "Men going their own way" thing 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, OverSword said:

If you look at these numbers the ratio in the USA of male to female is about 50/50 across all age groups.  That being the case we can assume that a high rate of women (maybe around 30% I'm guestimating) are in lesbian relationships.

If the article is based on facts maybe.   

Also from the article. I think these descriptions of relationships do not necessarily result in a sexual relationship.  It is friendship.  I still have 3 friends left pushing 70 that I have known since 4th grade. No gay sex involved, but a lot of good times and support in bad times.  We have been there for each other through some bad times.  Only two of us live in the same town, the other two we contact by phone.  We did have a reunion on the Oregon coast two years ago, to catch up, reminisce, and laugh.  I suspect there is a synergy here.  Being friends with these guys and my wife both require me to be available to another person, not always in charge, and not always convenient.  I have gotten better at both through the years.  According to the article, that seems to be one thing women look for in a partner, someone who is emotionally available, and mature.

Thirty years ago, 55 percent of men reported having six or more close friends. By 2021, that share had slipped to 27 percent.  

The same emotional deficits that hurt men in the dating pool also hamper them in forming meaningful friendships. Fifteen percent of men report having no close friendships, a fivefold increase from 1990, according to research by the Survey Center on American Life.  

“Today in America, women expect more from men,” Levant said, “and unfortunately, so many men don’t have more to give.” 

“Women form friendships with each other that are emotionally intimate, whereas men do not,” Levant said. Young women “may not be dating, but they have girlfriends they spend time with and gain emotional support from.” 

“Guys are taught to prioritize career,” Karo said. “Also romantic relationships, although it doesn’t seem like they’re doing a very good job at that. Making friends and keeping friends seems to be a lower priority. And once guys get older, they suddenly realize they have no friends.” 

“We treat friendship as a luxury, especially men,” Ritter said. “It’s a necessity.” 

• Like 3

Marriage customs vary, from century to century, even generation to generation. Young men, without substantial means, not marrying young was once the rule, and quite the exception. As Jane Austen writes in Pride and Prejudice in the19th Century:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

However little known the feelings of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters."

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

I'm thinking there's even more males in homosexual situations than females.

I'm thinking the seeming mathematical discrepancy lies in the fact that more men self-identify as 'single' than women when 'it's complicated'. Men somewhat more prefer the feeling of 'single' than 'women'.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Also from the article. I think these descriptions of relationships do not necessarily result in a sexual relationship.  It is friendship.  I still have 3 friends left pushing 70 that I have known since 4th grade. No gay sex involved, but a lot of good times and support in bad times.  We have been there for each other through some bad times.  Only two of us live in the same town, the other two we contact by phone.  We did have a reunion on the Oregon coast two years ago, to catch up, reminisce, and laugh.  I suspect there is a synergy here.  Being friends with these guys and my wife both require me to be available to another person, not always in charge, and not always convenient.  I have gotten better at both through the years.  According to the article, that seems to be one thing women look for in a partner, someone who is emotionally available, and mature.

Thirty years ago, 55 percent of men reported having six or more close friends. By 2021, that share had slipped to 27 percent.  

The same emotional deficits that hurt men in the dating pool also hamper them in forming meaningful friendships. Fifteen percent of men report having no close friendships, a fivefold increase from 1990, according to research by the Survey Center on American Life.  

“Today in America, women expect more from men,” Levant said, “and unfortunately, so many men don’t have more to give.” 

“Women form friendships with each other that are emotionally intimate, whereas men do not,” Levant said. Young women “may not be dating, but they have girlfriends they spend time with and gain emotional support from.” 

“Guys are taught to prioritize career,” Karo said. “Also romantic relationships, although it doesn’t seem like they’re doing a very good job at that. Making friends and keeping friends seems to be a lower priority. And once guys get older, they suddenly realize they have no friends.” 

“We treat friendship as a luxury, especially men,” Ritter said. “It’s a necessity.” 

Men to be lonely.

Its a real problem in society.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Men to be lonely.

Do you think it is a genetic deficit in men, or is it a deficit in our cultural attitudes? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I'm thinking there's even more males in homosexual situations than females.

I'm thinking the seeming mathematical discrepancy lies in the fact that more men self-identify as 'single' than women when 'it's complicated'. Men somewhat more prefer the feeling of 'single' than 'women'.

THIS^

Women are all dating the same guys. They all want the 6 foot, 6 figures men, they only swipe right on (the same) 5-10% of men on dating sites (compared to 50% that men swipe).

So of course the women will say "its complicated" when asked, and then they assume ALL men cheat, because they are dating the men who have options.

They wont even recognize the guy working at Burger King as a potential partner. He will be lonely for life.

This isn't hidden knowledge. And before anyone accuses me of being an Incel, i'm married to a beautiful woman who has given me many children. Previous relationship wasn't so good though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Men to be lonely.

People like Andrew Tate have latched onto these men. Self improvement for these lonely men is a great thing.

Tate was taking the rejected men and telling them to work on themselves, get cut, get rich, then in 10-15 years time, the same women who look at them with disgust will be begging them for attention.

i've even seen a clip of Tate when he was a broke loser being told he's not good enough by his girlfriend at the time.

BTW, you say this is a real problem, any solutions other than self improvement and lowering standards for a partner for men?

EDIT: i did warn you about this in the Transmaxxing thread, which i assume you still think isnt happening. Why? Where do you think the lazy lonely men will go? It's either Tate or tits

Edited by Knob Oddy

26 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Do you think it is a genetic deficit in men, or is it a deficit in our cultural attitudes? 

I think it is cultural.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

Women are all dating the same guys. They all want the 6 foot, 6 figures men, they only swipe right on (the same) 5-10% of men on dating sites (compared to 50% that men swipe).

That is how natural selection works, the biggest brightest plumage, the biggest nests, the best providers.  I really doubt these desirable guys swipe more than 5-10% either, because they can be choosy. 

Few people that are serious about starting a family will consider doing so on a Burger King salary.  I bet even you will despise the men when they require public assistance to feed their kids and get medical care.  You will think they are a lazy low-life. No doubt there are women working at Burger King too who know how to be good and loyal friends that will stick through thick and thin.  But unless they are gorgeous, the hot guys do not swipe on them either.

I think Andrew Tate has got it wrong.  Women looking for relationship and family don't  beg rich guys for attention, especially if they are a-holes.  The ones who do are not in it for love, the long haul, or a family.  They are in it for themselves, just like the men.   Andrew Tate was not looking to end loneliness, find love or a soul mate.  He deceived women to assemble a money making  herd he could dominate.  In the old days we called those guys pimps, not a respectable career in successful circles, and not a fulfilling example for young men to follow.

Andrew Tate philosophy is part of the problem.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

BTW, you say this is a real problem, any solutions other than self improvement and lowering standards for a partner for men?

Is self improvement a non-starter?

What does it mean, lower standards?  Standards like friendship, loyalty, wit, companionship, intelligence and self reliance  or standards like a D cup and silicone lips?

The solution is contained in your question, the word partner.  Finding a partner for life's endeavors is different than finding eye candy for sex and social occasions.  The solution for the latter is a beautiful robot that you can turn on when you want something and turn off when you don't want to be bothered. For many man that will be heaven on earth.  But you can't even afford a premium model robot on a Burger King salary.

• Like 1

We seem to be culturally suffering a crisis of perception that imbues a culture of disconnection.

This seems to inertially feedback on itself cyclically.

Authenticity is hidden when true connection is absent.

When authentic nature is unknown or actively rejected on the personal level, meaningful connection becomes an unachievable oxymoron.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

I'd say a bit of both.

On the genetic side, there is a theory that woman had to be more social evolutionarily as a safety thing. Because men are stronger, woman would have to befriend people moreso for protection. If angry caveman comes home than you need multiple woman to fend him off type thing.

Culturally, I think men have adapted poorly to the loss of institutions like church. Society use to be more social and men haven't adopted as well to the changes. Somehow society just seems really busy now too. Idk why 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Knob Oddy said:

People like Andrew Tate have latched onto these men. Self improvement for these lonely men is a great thing.

Tate was taking the rejected men and telling them to work on themselves, get cut, get rich, then in 10-15 years time, the same women who look at them with disgust will be begging them for attention.

i've even seen a clip of Tate when he was a broke loser being told he's not good enough by his girlfriend at the time.

EDIT: i did warn you about this in the Transmaxxing thread, which i assume you still think isnt happening. Why? Where do you think the lazy lonely men will go? It's either Tate or tits

Tateopas thing was showing that men also have much fewer close friendships now than in the past too. Its not just a dating thing. 

Woman have always been selective. The difference now is that woman can work and provide for themselves. So they don't settle as much for the mere sake of being provided for. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, OverSword said:

I got a laugh from @L.A.T.1961 so I guess I should clarify that I meant young women (probably in their twenties and thirties) as is stated in the title of the thread and article. 

I think the disparity accounts for all the Transgender members of American society.