Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seattle becomes the first city in the US to ban caste discrimination

OverSword

Seattle is explicitly banning discrimination on the basis of caste, making it the first city in the US to take such a step.

The Seattle City Council approved an ordinance on Tuesday that amends the city’s municipal code to include caste as a protected class, alongside categories such as race, religion and gender identity. The law prohibits caste discrimination in employment, housing, public accommodations and other arenas, and allows caste-oppressed people in the city to lodge complaints of discrimination.

“It is a very simple question: Should discrimination based on caste be allowed to continue in Seattle?” Councilmember Kshama Sawant, who sponsored the ordinance, said during Tuesday’s city council meeting. “But while simple, it is also profound and historic.”

Link

3rd world issues brought to a neighborhood near you.  We actually have to pass laws to convince people they don't live in India anymore apparently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Link

3rd world issues brought to a neighborhood near you.  We actually have to pass laws to convince people they don't live in India anymore apparently.

We don't have castes in the U.S.!  What a waste of time and taxpayer's money.   What do they think is going on in Seattle?   Are people being denied service because they are poor at hospitals or doctors offices or government entities?

This is so stupid Seattle will probablly be the ONLY city in the U.S. to ban caste descrimination.   This is much worse than when the city of albuquerque worte an 80 page animal ordinance that took 25 pages to define the word animal.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

We don't have castes in the U.S.!  What a waste of time and taxpayer's money.   What do they think is going on in Seattle?   Are people being denied service because they are poor at hospitals or doctors offices or government entities?

This is so stupid Seattle will probablly be the ONLY city in the U.S. to ban caste descrimination.

I think the reality is that Indian people that work at tech companies, which there are many of here, discriminate against each other.  There is a lot of micro hiring in and out of different project teams in that industry and I think the high caste people were blocking lower caste people from working on their teams.  I remember first hearing it may be an issue a few years ago at Amazon.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I think the reality is that Indian people that work at tech companies, which there are many of here, discriminate against each other.  There is a lot of micro hiring in and out of different project teams in that industry and I think the high caste people were blocking lower caste people from working on their teams.  I remember first hearing it may be an issue a few years ago at Amazon.

I work in a company based in Florida that has a lot of people from India or with Indian ancestry and I never saw anything like that.   It should be addressed differently since the U.S. does not acknowledge castes.  If someone is discriminated in that way the company needs to remedy it, not the city.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I work in a company based in Florida that has a lot of people from India or with Indian ancestry and I never saw anything like that.   It should be addressed differently since the U.S. does not acknowledge castes.  If someone is discriminated in that way the company needs to remedy it, not the city.

And of course this legislation was introduced by Kshama Sawant, my local and most hated council woman.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Link

You can move here but you have to follow our laws.

I have no idea if caste discrimination is a common thing or not but it can't hurt to have it on the books.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

You can move here but you have to follow our laws.

I have no idea if caste discrimination is a common thing or not but it can't hurt to have it on the books.

Hopefully we won't have to add honor killings to the list

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Hopefully we won't have to add honor killings to the list

No worries. That's already illegal lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

And of course this legislation was introduced by Kshama Sawant, my local and most hated council woman.

Yeah who can forget her during the summer of love 

• Like 1