Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

i keep finding random rocks inside of my animal cages??

harley2262

i've been noticing this for a little while, and it's been making me increasingly confused.

for a tad bit of context, i have two guinea pigs, who are in a cage in my bedroom, as well as two gerbils, who are in a cage in the hallway by the front foor of my flat.

i don't quite have the best memory but i want to say the first instance of this happening went down about?? a month or two ago maybe (give or take)?? i was hanging out with my boyfriend in my room and was topping up the hay in the guinea pig cage when i noticed a sort of clump of hard stuff? at the time i thought it was maybe a clump of hard poop or something and just threw it away with a bit of embarrassment thinking ''wow am i really that bad at cleaning the cages out?''. i thought it was a bit weird but chocked it down to me just needing to clean the guys out so i didn't take a picture or anything, and forgot about it the next day. a few days later, the same thing happened again- another weird hard clump in the guinea pig cage. this time i was a bit more confused but again, didn't think anything of it and didn't take a picture, i just threw it away and continued on with my day,

but now, however long after, it's happened again- this time with me finding a hard clump in my gerbil tank- and now i know for sure that something weird is going on because there is no way those tiny little things can clump up that much poo in that short amount of time- there's just no way. i don't give my animals any sort of chews or anything that have rocks or similar materials in them, as not only does it make alot of noise, but also my animals generally just aren't interested in them. i do collect rocks sometimes as i'm quite the magpie, but i've never dropped any into their cages or anything like that, and none of them are left close enough to the cages to just, fall in or anything, so i really have no clue where these rocks are coming from! initially i threw the rock i found in the gerbil cage away but then i realised i should probably not do that and retrieved it, so i do have pictures this time!

20230228_225641.thumb.jpg.1b126d97074d5b356e42f8772a9fd335.jpg

so... yeah it's definitely just?? a random rock.

at this point im just very confused as A) where these mystery rocks are coming from B] why are they popping up and C) why specifically in my animal cages? i haven't found anywhere elsewhere, only in with my guinea pigs and now my gerbils! if anyone has any insight please do share so we can try to get to the bottom of it!

• Like 7

That is weird.  Welcome to the forums :st  Any other weird activity that you've noticed?

• Thanks 1

well me and my family have been experiencing some weird creepy stuff here and there but it seems pretty irregular. one night a door handle could jiggle and a door could open then nothing happens for 2 months, that sorta thing. but we have our suspicions that we may potentially have someone/something in our house- that started in november of 2022. things like our boiler room door opening, christmas decorations would sway gently when they were up- on one occasion i even heard two footsteps in the hallway by the front door, and my brother says that he apparently heard my bedroom door handle jiggling whilst i was asleep one night which is terrifying HAHA

as of right now, nothing paranormal has happened forrr i want to say about a month?

• Like 3

Elemental beings such as elves, fairies and gnomes are known to leave stones in places. I had this happen on my porch. I would sweep the stones off and they would be back next morning with no explanation. I am a believer in the paranormal but this answer may not appeal the the more skeptical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

oh i'm generally very believing in all sorts of stuff! ghosts, aliens, fairies, imps, you name it. i quite like the idea of these stones being left behind by a little elf or fairy, it makes me feel much calmer- as long as the stones are a positive thing then i'm fine with the little gifts :))

i almost wonder if there's some way i could give them something back haha! 

• Like 2

Footprints... I absolutely hate it when they leave nothing but footprints behind... 

Welcome to the boards 

~

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, harley2262 said:

oh i'm generally very believing in all sorts of stuff! ghosts, aliens, fairies, imps, you name it. i quite like the idea of these stones being left behind by a little elf or fairy, it makes me feel much calmer- as long as the stones are a positive thing then i'm fine with the little gifts :))

i almost wonder if there's some way i could give them something back haha! 

These things are believed to exist in a lot of cultures but like most of the paranormal you have to see it to be convinced, or I do anyway. I didn't see anything put the stones on my porch in piles. I didn't think about it and just swept every day as I do but after 4 days of it? I live on a farm with nobody around. It happened at night so not birds and I don't know of any animals here in Oz that would do this. I don't think you should communicate with paranormal entities so giving a gift back might not be advisable.

• Like 1

Belief isnt fact its belief, oops did i give away im the cynical skeptic here?

No, i dont believe in imaginary creatures leaving debris around for example i could tell a story of each day a pile of small bones is left in my birdbath and all i have is a story and my belief or i could grab a trail cam and see just what is happening, ive seen a lot of people on here asked to do that and they vanish.

In the late 70s i raised hamsters for a short spell and noticed little rocks came in with their food same with certain brands of parrot food. While i have no clue why rocks would be in your pets cages i see zero reason to jump past proven explanation like you made it up or are being pranked to unproven paranormal ideas like mythical creatures or ghosts are doing it.

I wouldnt mind if some faeries were real...

R.87515d7b9178fd89f8b55a6941119004?rik=k

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

i could tell a story of each day a pile of small bones is left in my birdbath

Could be owl pellets, regurgitated bones not digested. Now I have cleared up your mystery would you have any idea what could leave small piles of stones on my porch at night? 

• Confused 1

I wouldnt mind if some faeries were real

And could you stop putting up pics of hot fairies, I'm starting to question my sexuality :lol:.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, openozy said:

Could be owl pellets, regurgitated bones not digested. Now I have cleared up your mystery would you have any idea what could leave small piles of stones on my porch at night? 

We would love cutting up owl pellets as kids.

No i dont have a clue what would pile up stones i know for darn sure i would set up a trail cam.

I dont know your home or area, can you rule out kids or adults who think they are kids? You know i dont buy into fantasy creatures doing it yet i believe it is happening to you.

Reminds me of a years back reverse situation my junk that got ripped off my porch and yard i way botched that up it was during my 1st bout of covid. i would smell their smokes, my light timer was off where they used my power, then when i find their bedroll in my bushes i knee jerk kicked it to the curb and went to the store and when i get back within a short time bedrolls gone, they grabbed it never came back to this day i am convinced the items they took ended up on a grave somewhere either cemetery or roadside, it was a weird mix of goodies of really no value except to me.

I think i know of the people i it was and both vanished after that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, openozy said:

And could you stop putting up pics of hot fairies, I'm starting to question my sexuality :lol:.

No questions the ones i post are girls :yes:

• Haha 2

I dont know your home or area, can you rule out kids or adults who think they are kids? You know i dont buy into fantasy creatures doing it yet i believe it is happening to you.

Thank you for believing me. There are no kids or adults that could get into my yard on the farm.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, openozy said:

Thank you for believing me. There are no kids or adults that could get into my yard on the farm.

No ty needed :tu:

I have zero clue what would do it your know your creatures but like i said if it keeps going set up a cam, or an elf trap or both.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, harley2262 said:

topping up the hay in the guinea pig cage

Probably the small rocks came from the hay bag and you are putting them in there yourself unaware.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joc said:

Probably the small rocks came from the hay bag and you are putting them in there yourself unaware.

they were actually rather big! about the same size as the one in the image i posted- definitely not small enough for me to of not noticed them, i definitely would've felt or saw them if they were inside of the hay!

4 hours ago, harley2262 said:

they were actually rather big! about the same size as the one in the image i posted- definitely not small enough for me to of not noticed them, i definitely would've felt or saw them if they were inside of the hay!

Okay...but think about how you put the hay in...do you like, grab some and throw it in there and kind of fluff it around?  I mean, they didn't materialize in there....I think they had to have come with the hay.  So, next time you get some more hay...do me a favor okay...dump it all out in something and go through it real good...a little at a time.  That's all I got. :)

4 hours ago, harley2262 said:

Please understand im an admitted skeptic so my remarks or questions are not meant to offend and should not be raken personal.

I dont believe in fantasy based creatures playing little games like putting rocks in pet cages,  i dont believe they just materialized there, so just what do i have? Your story and a picture of a rock you say you found in your pets cage. Im not a credulous dropbear  how do i know you arent making it up? How do i know the rock wasnt as joc suggested mixed in with the hay bedding?

How do i rule out your bf isnt pranking you or you arent delusional and doing it yourself? See what im up against? Perhaps set up a camera start with an empty clean cage and record everything leading up to finding a rock.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 12:19 AM, harley2262 said:

i've been noticing this for a little while, and it's been making me increasingly confused.

for a tad bit of context, i have two guinea pigs, who are in a cage in my bedroom, as well as two gerbils, who are in a cage in the hallway by the front foor of my flat.

i don't quite have the best memory but i want to say the first instance of this happening went down about?? a month or two ago maybe (give or take)?? i was hanging out with my boyfriend in my room and was topping up the hay in the guinea pig cage when i noticed a sort of clump of hard stuff? at the time i thought it was maybe a clump of hard poop or something and just threw it away with a bit of embarrassment thinking ''wow am i really that bad at cleaning the cages out?''. i thought it was a bit weird but chocked it down to me just needing to clean the guys out so i didn't take a picture or anything, and forgot about it the next day. a few days later, the same thing happened again- another weird hard clump in the guinea pig cage. this time i was a bit more confused but again, didn't think anything of it and didn't take a picture, i just threw it away and continued on with my day,

but now, however long after, it's happened again- this time with me finding a hard clump in my gerbil tank- and now i know for sure that something weird is going on because there is no way those tiny little things can clump up that much poo in that short amount of time- there's just no way. i don't give my animals any sort of chews or anything that have rocks or similar materials in them, as not only does it make alot of noise, but also my animals generally just aren't interested in them. i do collect rocks sometimes as i'm quite the magpie, but i've never dropped any into their cages or anything like that, and none of them are left close enough to the cages to just, fall in or anything, so i really have no clue where these rocks are coming from! initially i threw the rock i found in the gerbil cage away but then i realised i should probably not do that and retrieved it, so i do have pictures this time!

20230228_225641.thumb.jpg.1b126d97074d5b356e42f8772a9fd335.jpg

so... yeah it's definitely just?? a random rock.

at this point im just very confused as A) where these mystery rocks are coming from B] why are they popping up and C) why specifically in my animal cages? i haven't found anywhere elsewhere, only in with my guinea pigs and now my gerbils! if anyone has any insight please do share so we can try to get to the bottom of it!

Maybe your guinnea pigs and gerbils are secretly trying to escape...

Did you ever watch "The Shawshank Redemption"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 12:21 AM, openozy said:

Elemental beings such as elves, fairies and gnomes are known to leave stones in places. I had this happen on my porch. I would sweep the stones off and they would be back next morning with no explanation. I am a believer in the paranormal but this answer may not appeal the the more skeptical.

Do you have Squirrels living near you?

1 hour ago, TashaMarie said:

Do you have Squirrels living near you?

No Tasha I'm in Oz but I have thought of maybe a crow. we don't really have animals that would do that. I really thought it was someone pranking but they can't get into my house yard on the farm as have dogs. It was happening at night so maybe not a bird, I don't know what it was but it's creepy.

8 hours ago, openozy said:

No Tasha I'm in Oz but I have thought of maybe a crow. we don't really have animals that would do that. I really thought it was someone pranking but they can't get into my house yard on the farm as have dogs. It was happening at night so maybe not a bird, I don't know what it was but it's creepy.

I know this is slightly different but maybe Ravens.  http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds/2010-04/msg00153.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

I know this is slightly different but maybe Ravens.  http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds/2010-04/msg00153.html

We call these birds crows and it could be them. There was a crow on the golf course where I worked that used to steal golf balls while people were playing and they never found them. We were cutting down a dead hollow tree there one day and there were literally hundreds of balls inside, lol.

• Haha 1

This reminds of the chimpanzee Santino in a Swedish zoo. He stockpiled ammunition in anticipation of visitors, dragging stones from a protective moat and even thumped chunks of concrete into rough discs. Last year, he managed to escape together with other chimpanzees but he was unfortunately killed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santino_(chimpanzee)

Edited by fred_mc
  • Sad 1