Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biden Quietly Administration Enacting Some Trump Policies at Border

OverSword

U.S. immigration politics have shifted on their axis over the last 10 days.

Former President Trump and his administration spent years arguing that people who cross the border without permission should not be able to easily apply for asylum in the United States. That decades-old practice no longer works, Trump and his team insisted.

On Feb. 21, President Biden proposed a plan that amounts to an endorsement of his predecessor’s position.

International and U.S. law has long allowed people who cross borders to seek protection from persecution. But if implemented, Biden’s proposal would make it very difficult for migrants who travel through another country on their way to the U.S. and then cross the border without permission to win asylum here. The policy would roll back America’s longstanding commitments to people seeking asylum, placing strict limits on where and how those who flee persecution can apply for protection.

Link

Further down:

“Electoral politics trump values when it comes to access to asylum. The desire to keep the border quiet resulted in compromising what I previously thought were deeply held Democratic beliefs,” said the second Biden official. “The Democrats have lost the ability to, with a straight face, criticize Trump or the next Republican administration’s approach on immigration.”

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kinda like how Biden said, "We'll not build one foot more of the Trump Wall." and then kinda went and built a bunch of bits of wall to fill in some holes. 

But, then politicians always make promises when campaigning that they have no idea about the actual issue. Then when they get into office, they're like "Holy CHIT!", and change their minds.

I read about this new policy, and I do think it will reduce new immigrants/asylum seekers. But at the same time the US has always allowed asylum at the border. I'd rather we enforce the laws we have, rather then just piling on more laws that the liberals will seek to ignore.

The fix isn't new laws, but enforcement.

7 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Kinda like how Biden said, "We'll not build one foot more of the Trump Wall." and then kinda went and built a bunch of bits of wall to fill in some holes. 

But, then politicians always make promises when campaigning that they have no idea about the actual issue. Then when they get into office, they're like "Holy CHIT!", and change their minds.

I read about this new policy, and I do think it will reduce new immigrants/asylum seekers. But at the same time the US has always allowed asylum at the border. I'd rather we enforce the laws we have, rather then just piling on more laws that the liberals will seek to ignore.

The fix isn't new laws, but enforcement.

I think the fix is policy and infrastructure change, as in building the infrastructure to have capacity to process more asylum seekers and adjusting policy to allow more asylum seekers possibly with lower standards or thresholds to qualify.  I also believe in increasing the amount of work visas for manual labor and getting people that currently would try to come over illegally to apply for a card.  The key is not to limit and deny because as long as the desire to come and the work exists it is just going to happen.  to adjust policy to fit that reality is what I think makes sense.  Let them in, track them, tax them, etc.  Some funding could come from the fact that we would then need less policing of the border, which would mean paying less people $150k a year, not purchasing as many vehicles, weapons, etc.  What we do now makes zero sense and the facts/results demonstrate that it is the wrong way to deal with the issue.

• Like 3

I've often said, I don't mind them coming here. I simply want them to do it the right way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DieChecker said:

I've often said, I don't mind them coming here. I simply want them to do it the right way.

I agree.  I think adjusting policy to fit reality would be more effective

• Like 1

America welcomes more legal immigrants than any other country in the world. That immigration system is worth protecting. 

Edited by el midgetron
  • Like 1

I think we need to put the brakes on immigration for a few years. We just allowed millions to flood in. If this keeps up there will be a culture shock. To much demographic change to quickly is only going to cause problems. 

• Like 1

Meh... I took two years of Spanish back in High School, 35 years ago. We knew this was coming...

Latinos are super good people overall. Somewhat religious. Somewhat conservative. If they weren't scared to death of the GOP due to Democrat propoganda, the Republicans would never lose.

• Like 1

This wasn't done quietly at all.  It was actually big news announced alongside an app that would allow for individuals to apply for asylum in their own country with stipulations stating that they had to have LEGAL family in the US that would sponsor them, and they would not be eligible for government assistance.  The app went like January 1st.  In December there were 91,000 encounters between border patrol and illegal asylum seekers.  In January after the app went live, 22,000.  If that's not tackling a border crisis, I don't know what is.

https://www.voanews.com/a/us-mexico-border-encounters-drop-after-increased-migrant-expulsions/6976229.html

On 3/5/2023 at 6:20 AM, preacherman76 said:

I think we need to put the brakes on immigration for a few years. We just allowed millions to flood in. If this keeps up there will be a culture shock. To much demographic change to quickly is only going to cause problems. 

We literally don't have enough people in the United States to fill the job openings we have...to stop LEGAL migration would crush the economy.