Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smell associated with spirits/ghosts

RavenCraft

I know i've heard stories of smells being associated with hauntings. A common sent I've heard of is the smell of roses when there is a female spirit present.

I've often used my senses to indicate if their was a spirit present: sight, hearing and also touch to sense the energy. Well I was sitting down at my desk researching for my paper and I smelt something strange. I know I have several spirits in my home, but smelling something weird has never occured to me. It smelt like decomposing food or plant matter. I put my head under the table and the smell was extremly strong. I lifted my head and smelt again and the smell was gone. I keep my place fairly clean, and there was no food on the floor or anything, so what could of it been?

Has anyone else had any experiences like this?

smells and odors are a common association with hauntings, ranging from pleasant (like the rose scent you mentioned) through to the downright repulsive. My wife smelt roses also once, and she knew immediately that her recently departed grandma was with her. Rose was her grandmas favorite scent.

Hoagy alien.gif

smells and odors are a common association with hauntings, ranging from pleasant (like the rose scent you mentioned) through to the downright repulsive.  My wife smelt roses also once, and she knew immediately that her recently departed grandma was with her.  Rose was her grandmas favorite scent. 

Hoagy alien.gif

531220[/snapback]

I would prefer to smell vanilla or coconut to what I smelled lol, it was quite nasty.

I just find it strange that the smell came from no where got pretty strong and then disappeared.

yeah, sometimes it can be localised as well. You can literally smell it in one spot, then step one way in any direction and it wont be there. I wonder if it works on the same type of principle as a cold spot?

Hoagy alien.gif

I've heard in many cases where scent is tied to hauntings, scent is one of the strongest senses tied to memory. When I visited the Whaley House in San Diego the tour guide said that many guest complain of strong cigar smoke although smoking is not allowed in the house. It was a well know fact that Mr. Whaley liked cuban cigars. Also people have described a Lavender smell coming from the master bedroom. It was said that Mrs. Whaley's favorite perfume was a lavender scented one. Heh, so in sort, Yes. Smell is associated with hauntings.

I don't know about the decomposing matter smell, but I think scents can indicate a spirit's presence...perhaps an angry ghost? Or maybe one who just really wants to be noticed?

My mom always says she smells her grandfather's aftershave. So do I, sometimes.

And HOW, prey-tell, are ghosts able to conjure up a detectable odor?

And HOW, prey-tell, are ghosts able to conjure up a detectable odor?

532164[/snapback]

My guess is the same way that they make themselves seen. With energy, perhaps.
  • Like 1

grin2.gif  grin2.gif Maybe it's something to do with not being able to have a shower once You are Dead. w00t.gif Then again it could be Embalming fluid

532744[/snapback]

w00t.gif That was great! clap.gif

Ive known every scence 2 b aroused by ghosts but not smell, cool!! ill have 2 look into dat

• Like 2

When my grandma died, she made it sure that we remember her by letting us smell her very distinct perfume that she loves to wear in our house...every now and then. By the way my grandma used to live 250 miles away from us.

Most of my ghosts here have a smell like wet metal, that very distinct sharp smell of a nut you've been sucking on like a jawbreaker...I like the smell.

• Like 1

i've always heard that bad smells meant bad ghosts or demons even. demons smell esp. like rotting meat, but i dunno about plant.

• Like 1

I have often heard of spirits being accompanied by a sulfur smell. Kind of like rotten eggs.

I have often heard of spirits being accompanied by a sulfur smell. Kind of like rotten eggs.

537564[/snapback]

yeah, i've heard that too. you'd think tho that bad smell=bad spirit. but i've heard of a benign entity smelling like sulfur too.

• 7 years later...

Hi guys, i'm from the uk in nottingham and for some reason we had this smell other night (rotten egg smell) it just came out of no where we had not one window open or fire on it was just in center of our front room :/ i work at a hospital called queens medical center, i work over at a place called leen gate and alot of strange stuff as happen to me and my friend who i worked with over there, doors shut, bangs, hearing some one walking around and you feel like you are being watched all the time, the strange thing is nobody else was over there? plus after this rotten egg smell some more strange stuff happen to me and same person again when i talked about it to him at work (today) his cup went off face of earth with is drink in and we hear strange sounds and talking when nobody was around :s , I never took any notice to stories like these but with all strange crap going on, i'm starting to belive it.

Edited by qmc
  • Like 1

Yeah if there is a smell associated with a loved one and there is no other possible source, it can be them letting you know they are with you. My dad passed away a 2 years ago and on two different occasions when I was really sad having a hard time I smelled beer, sweat, and marijuana, that was his smell LOL. I was driving in my truck with the windows up both times and I was alone (not drinking or smoking; I've been clean 7 years). When I was a teenager I lived in a house where all sorts of things happened, I have smelled roses out of no where for a few minutes and body odor that was not from me, the smells didn't last long but happened numerous times in that house.

Hi guys, i'm from the uk in nottingham and for some reason we had this smell other night (rotten egg smell) it just came out of no where we had not one window open or fire on it was just in center of our front room :/ i work at a hospital called queens medical center, i work over at a place called leen gate and alot of strange stuff as happen to me and my friend who i worked with over there, doors shut, bangs, hearing some one walking around and you feel like you are being watched all the time, the strange thing is nobody else was over there? plus after this rotten egg smell some more strange stuff happen to me and same person again when i talked about it to him at work (today) his cup went off face of earth with is drink in and we hear strange sounds and talking when nobody was around :s , I never took any notice to stories like these but with all strange crap going on, i'm starting to belive it.

Sulfur smell is not good. Take some steps to protect yourself. You can ask it to leave in the name of Jesus Christ. You can ask Jesus for protection also. I've been there!

I saw a ghost once but I don't remember smelling anything unusual.

Sulfur smell is not good. Take some steps to protect yourself. You can ask it to leave in the name of Jesus Christ. You can ask Jesus for protection also. I've been there!

Well my mam says she as smelled a fag smell before and my grandad pass away so couldn't it be him?

I experienced a similar event several weeks ago.

After getting into bed, I smelled a flowery odor. I couldn't identify a specific flower, not quite rose but close.

In the middle of the night I woke to a horrible smell, like a rotting corpse.

That was really bizzare.