Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smell associated with spirits/ghosts

RavenCraft

when i was a small child, the bedroom i slept in suddenly had what looked like a leak on one wall. the "leak" was evenly across the whole of the wall, the clear/pinky liquid resembled slim and never actually reached the floor during the leak which lasted some weeks maybe even months. the slim would get to the skirting board and "set" not reaching beyond that point. The leak was inspected by a plumber and the upstairs home was visited but there was no water pipes or leak/cause of leak evidence. The smell was horrific. i wont smell anything as horrific as that for as long as i live. it was every horrible smell you can imagine.

that place was definitely haunted and had VERY bad vibes. apparently the area used to be a graveyard.

Ghost do cause smells.

Back in around 1999, my little sister, who was then around 8 years old, was lying in bed next to her mother early one morning. The bedroom door was open. My sister was sat up in bed talking to her mum. Mum was lying down with her back to my sister and the open bedroom door. Suddenly she heard my sister abruptly stop talking mid-sentence. She went quiet for a few moments during which time my mum could suddenly smell perfume which she didn't recognise. After a few moments the smell disappeared and, at the same moment, my sister said: "Mum, who was the lady?" My mum sat up in bed and said: "What lady?" My sister told her that, whilst she was talking, a lady walked into the bedroom through the open door. This lady was young, very pretty and friendly-looking, and wore a Victorian-style pink dress and pink hat with a floral design. The lady walked up to the side of the bed, smiled kindly at my sister, and then just vanished. The smell of perfume coincided with the appearance of the friendly ghost. My mum believes either the ghost is that of a aldy who had a connection with the old cotton mill which used to occupy the site where my mum's house now is or it may be my sister's guardian angel.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

When it comes to "spirits", the only smell I ever encounter is the smell is bullsh*t

each to their own.

I've experienced some strange things mostly in childhood that cannot be logically explained but I'm pretty openminded to what could have been the cause. As with my last post above, although it was eerie and lots of other instances of similar weirdness regularly occured in that place, I feel it may have been pure negativity taking physical form and not a "ghost" or "poltergeist". who knows.

• Like 1

We get odd smells quite often so I just blame the dog especially when we have friends over. :whistle:

• Like 1

I smell either ammonia or smelly car exhaust. I have a friend that comes and visits sometimes. It will stand next to me while I'm on the computer and reek of exhaust. But it used its reekiness to help me. My daughter lost her brand new glasses, we tore the house apart and never found them. Several days later the smell showed up and the smell was really bad and moving around the house. I couldn't stand it anymore I started chasing the smell. I found it hiding behind the book case. Why I don't but I started pulling the stuff out of the shelf I guess I thought I was going to find the stinker. I moved the shelf and guess what I found, her glasses. I forgave it for being stinky. When comes to visit we just open the windows.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sometimes you fart while being completely oblivious to it while in deep concentration. In such an instance, the stench emanating from your posterior would seem a mystery to you and this could be the explanation of your experience.

I know i've heard stories of smells being associated with hauntings. A common sent I've heard of is the smell of roses when there is a female spirit present.

I've often used my senses to indicate if their was a spirit present: sight, hearing and also touch to sense the energy. Well I was sitting down at my desk researching for my paper and I smelt something strange. I know I have several spirits in my home, but smelling something weird has never occured to me. It smelt like decomposing food or plant matter. I put my head under the table and the smell was extremly strong. I lifted my head and smelt again and the smell was gone. I keep my place fairly clean, and there was no food on the floor or anything, so what could of it been?

Has anyone else had any experiences like this?

Obviously a dead automobile mechanic. You should have cursed the fella as it was obviously he who'd hidden the glasses !

I smell either ammonia or smelly car exhaust. I have a friend that comes and visits sometimes. It will stand next to me while I'm on the computer and reek of exhaust. But it used its reekiness to help me. My daughter lost her brand new glasses, we tore the house apart and never found them. Several days later the smell showed up and the smell was really bad and moving around the house. I couldn't stand it anymore I started chasing the smell. I found it hiding behind the book case. Why I don't but I started pulling the stuff out of the shelf I guess I thought I was going to find the stinker. I moved the shelf and guess what I found, her glasses. I forgave it for being stinky. When comes to visit we just open the windows.

A silent ghost could do a silent fart which would either make you start or dart. They are said to eat and drink so farting should go with it.

grin2.gifgrin2.gif Maybe it's something to do with not being able to have a shower once You are Dead. w00t.gif Then again it could be Embalming fluid

I've heard people describe lilac scent, but I wouldn't be able to tell. I wear a lightly scented lilac lotion.

How does everyone except from me know what a demon smells like lol?

It sounds like the sources are the movies Constantine and Legend.

May be innocent, may be sweet...

ain't half as nice as rotting meat.

• 1 year later...
On 8/2/2012 at 8:36 PM, dalia said:

I experienced a similar event several weeks ago.

After getting into bed, I smelled a flowery odor. I couldn't identify a specific flower, not quite rose but close.

In the middle of the night I woke to a horrible smell, like a rotting corpse.

That was really bizzare.

Back when I was in my early twenties I lived alone in a private flat.  The previous tenant - an old lady - had lived their for most of her adult life.

One night I awoke and could smell the sweet aromas of fruit in my bedroom.  Puzzled, I got up to pay a visit to the bathroom and the fruity smells became more intense on the landing.  The following morning all traces of the bizarre aromas were gone.

In my house I sometimes come across smells that remind me of my late fathers overalls - copper, flux, oil and soot.   

After my grandfather passed away. I'd occasionally get a whiff of pipe smoke. He wouldn't smoke often and hardly around me, but I remember it because he was a great grandpa to me. Not sure if it was him or me remembering something he did that caused it. I miss him sometimes.

Although sources of inexplicable odours may be difficult to determine, it would be safe to suggest that chances are they are nowhere near paranormal. A methane-sulfur smell for example, could be coming from a sink or shower drain. A fishy, pungent odour could be a result of bad electrical connections. And what you think smells like rotting garbage, could very well be a dead rodent. Furthermore, scents can be absorbed into fabrics and wallpaper and linger for a long time. Cigar and cigarette smoke, for instance, can be smelled for months afterwards.

Another possible explanation are olfactory hallucinations. Phantosmia, for example, is the perception of a smell in the complete absence of any physical odor. The perceived odor can range from pleasant to foul (a typical smell being cigarette smoke). There is also parosmia, an olfactory dysfunction that is characterized by the inability of the brain to properly identify an odor's natural smell. What happens instead, is that the natural dour is warped into an unpleasant aroma, typically a burned, rotting, fecal, or chemical smell. There are instances, however, of pleasant odors (euosmia) where, for example, something that does not typically smell like flowers could take on such a smell. Both conditions require medical attention.

• Like 2

A Girlfriend awhile back woke up one night complaining about a foul oder in the room ......... I told her it was just a Demon, and to go back to bed.  I believe that Demon was why she left ...... so "Tears'  you need to erase that post before someone I know sees it !   :D  

• Like 2

After sounds, smells are the most common sensory phenomena associated with ghosts. Is it so hard to believe that ghosts have their own scents?

I want Chanel for men to be mine ...... that or cookies !!! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bad odour is associated with angry ghosts.  How about human beings?  My question is serious, I know an extremely angry woman who has the worst breath.  Many people have bad breath but hers is unbearable.

yeah it's super common! I often smell phantom flowers. I also occasionally get the smell of my nana's perfume which is always comforting.

And beans ....... many an angry ghost has visited my bed room.  Well that's my story anyway .........:rolleyes:

Guys, don't fall for these NSA tricks, this is a hidden technology that the secret society called Illuminati used in Europe in the 17th century and now they use it through NSA, the technology is pretty advanced enough to stimulate precisely any part of your brain to give you different perceptions such as voices, visual hallucinations, smells, feeling of touch etc...

You may read this article to know the truth!!

http://www.paranoiamagazine.com/2016/07/psychological-illnesses-due-hidden-technologies/

7 minutes ago, DerickJones said:

Guys, don't fall for these NSA tricks, this is a hidden technology that the secret society called Illuminati used in Europe in the 17th century and now they use it through NSA, the technology is pretty advanced enough to stimulate precisely any part of your brain to give you different perceptions such as voices, visual hallucinations, smells, feeling of touch etc...

You may read this article to know the truth!!

http://www.paranoiamagazine.com/2016/07/psychological-illnesses-due-hidden-technologies/

284faa65dedf83ec8092a11399403259333167ee

• Like 2

On June 23, 2016 at 0:37 PM, Forever Cursed said:

I want Chanel for men to be mine ...... that or cookies !!! 

:lol: LOL!

But really, if completely invisible gasses can have smells, why can't non-corporal energies?