Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smell associated with spirits/ghosts

RavenCraft

On 3/18/2005 at 4:56 PM, RavenCraft said:

I know i've heard stories of smells being associated with hauntings. A common sent I've heard of is the smell of roses when there is a female spirit present.

I've often used my senses to indicate if their was a spirit present: sight, hearing and also touch to sense the energy. Well I was sitting down at my desk researching for my paper and I smelt something strange. I know I have several spirits in my home, but smelling something weird has never occured to me. It smelt like decomposing food or plant matter. I put my head under the table and the smell was extremly strong. I lifted my head and smelt again and the smell was gone. I keep my place fairly clean, and there was no food on the floor or anything, so what could of it been?

Has anyone else had any experiences like this?

Im in no way trying to say it wasnt or couldnt be a result of spirit activity. Im sure someone else has said this already but I suffer from this personally so I thought id share. A sweet or smoky smell can be associated with neurological disorders, epilepsy MS etc. People with epilepsy call them auras. When I get that smell its sometimes transient and sometimes so strong i cant taste anything , when that happens I know my next couple of days are gonna suck. 

Normally The sent of roses or flowers is the smell of a Soul who is good and does no harm.

The Smell of rotten garbage can range from a very Evil or dangerous spirit to a demon.

I think the rose smell is a family member that has passed and is trying to protect you from that Thing

(i doubt its a demon there rare and only appear when asked to with the proper tool and luck they dont even appear if u ask or even do a ritual for sometimes! so i doubt it its probably a bad soul)

This has actually occured to many people in the past

• 2 years later...

I woke up a little after 3:00am to use the restroom. My bathroom was filled with a very strong scent of men’s cologne. I smelled this the entire time I was in there and the smell stopped at the bathroom door. My window in my bedroom had been open a crack. I even went outside to see if that’s where the smell is coming from but it wasn’t. I went back to bed and woke up again at 4:10am so I though I’d check the bathroom again. It still had a very strong smell of men’s cologne.  I live in a condo that his apartment style so it’s all on one level. I have a neighbor above me, and since this sent was coming from the bathroom I thought maybe he had used a lot of cologne and the smell was coming through the vent. However I don’t think that strong smell would stay in my bathroom for several hours, if that was the case. Paranormal activity is no stranger to my condo. I’ve had a lot of weird unexplainable things happen here in the last 10 years. Doors have been open that were never allowed to be open, drawers and cabinets have been open when I didn’t open them,  strange sounds are almost a daily occurrence. I live alone with two cats and I’ll hear something way out in my living room or dining room or even kitchen and even my cats will jump off my bed to go see what the sound was so I know it wasn’t just me hearing it. When my son still lived with me and his girlfriend lived here too they experienced some not so good encounters.  My sons girlfriend had just made hot coffee and was standing in the middle of the kitchen suddenly she was pushed so hard that she spilled scalding hot coffee all down the front of her.  She took pictures because she knew that was something paranormal. Then my younger brother was in my kitchen doing dishes and he felt something very uncomfortable on his back we lifted up his shirt and he has scratch marks on his back.  Then my sister and my brother said that they smelled rotting flesh in my living room however I did not smell it. And now they don’t smell it at all when they come visit. I also know for a fact that my great grandma Henry is here watching over me. I had a boyfriend who is sensitive to this type of things and he saw her take her take on her older form and stand between my ironing board and my bed to watch over me while I slept. Her death was the very hardest for me to handle and I have a few things in my house that used to be hers. She knows how much I loved her. Honestly I have so many stories to tell but the one I’m worried about is the strong colonge smell in my bathroom. It’s now nearly 6:00am and the smell is very faint. 

Any input from you all would be much appreciated 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018-10-12 at 11:52 AM, RedHed76 said:

I woke up a little after 3:00am to use the restroom. My bathroom was filled with a very strong scent of men’s cologne. I smelled this the entire time I was in there and the smell stopped at the bathroom door. My window in my bedroom had been open a crack. I even went outside to see if that’s where the smell is coming from but it wasn’t. I went back to bed and woke up again at 4:10am so I though I’d check the bathroom again. It still had a very strong smell of men’s cologne.  I live in a condo that his apartment style so it’s all on one level. I have a neighbor above me, and since this sent was coming from the bathroom I thought maybe he had used a lot of cologne and the smell was coming through the vent. However I don’t think that strong smell would stay in my bathroom for several hours, if that was the case. Paranormal activity is no stranger to my condo. I’ve had a lot of weird unexplainable things happen here in the last 10 years. Doors have been open that were never allowed to be open, drawers and cabinets have been open when I didn’t open them,  strange sounds are almost a daily occurrence. I live alone with two cats and I’ll hear something way out in my living room or dining room or even kitchen and even my cats will jump off my bed to go see what the sound was so I know it wasn’t just me hearing it. When my son still lived with me and his girlfriend lived here too they experienced some not so good encounters.  My sons girlfriend had just made hot coffee and was standing in the middle of the kitchen suddenly she was pushed so hard that she spilled scalding hot coffee all down the front of her.  She took pictures because she knew that was something paranormal. Then my younger brother was in my kitchen doing dishes and he felt something very uncomfortable on his back we lifted up his shirt and he has scratch marks on his back.  Then my sister and my brother said that they smelled rotting flesh in my living room however I did not smell it. And now they don’t smell it at all when they come visit. I also know for a fact that my great grandma Henry is here watching over me. I had a boyfriend who is sensitive to this type of things and he saw her take her take on her older form and stand between my ironing board and my bed to watch over me while I slept. Her death was the very hardest for me to handle and I have a few things in my house that used to be hers. She knows how much I loved her. Honestly I have so many stories to tell but the one I’m worried about is the strong colonge smell in my bathroom. It’s now nearly 6:00am and the smell is very faint. 

Any input from you all would be much appreciated 

Just do a LBPR to banish it you can find it on youtube and it works just by playing it. 

My grandmother had a perfume from the 1920's or 1930's (can't remember the name of it) but the smell is very distinct.  Every once in a while I will smell it in my bedroom (the bedroom that i sleep in originally was my grandmother's room).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baronesslucy said:

My grandmother had a perfume from the 1920's or 1930's (can't remember the name of it) but the smell is very distinct.  Every once in a while I will smell it in my bedroom (the bedroom that i sleep in originally was my grandmother's room).  

I have smelled the smell of roses on the very same night a friend commited suicide and i dont have any roses or anything that smell like that. Have also smelled the smell of a womans perfume at my parents house and my mother doesnt wear the same perfume.  

Certain scents or fragrances do turn up around possible spirits. 

I always know who is in the house when I catch a wiff of cigar smoke, for example. My family doesn't know him, just are used to him being around a lot and will tell me they smelled it, occasionally, and no. nobody here living smokes cigars or even cigarettes anymore. We just smile if we catch it and don't worry about it. 

My first thought was that somebody farted under the table. Maybe it was the ghost. Still waiting for a second thought to arrive. 

• 2 months later...

The scent of my grandmother's perfume when I have smelled it in her room gives me comfort.  It is a comforting smell.