Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Execution delayed for death row inmate who cut out his eyes

Grim Reaper 6

Next month’s scheduled execution of a Texas death row inmate, whose attorneys say gouged out both of his eyes — each a separate incident — because of severe mental illness, was delayed by a judge on Tuesday. Andre Thomas had been set to be executed on April 5, sentenced to death for fatally stabbing in March 2004 his estranged wife Laura Christine Boren, 20, their 4-year-old son Andre Lee and her 13-month-old daughter Leyha Marie Hughes, cutting out the hearts of the two children. The Supreme Court has prohibited the death penalty for the intellectually disabled, but not for people with serious mental illness. However, it has ruled that a person must be competent to be executed.

Fallon’s order gives Thomas’ attorneys until July 5 to file their motion asking that the inmate’s competency be reviewed before his execution can proceed. If Fallon decides Thomas’ lawyers have presented sufficient evidence to go forward, experts will be appointed to examine him, and other evidence will be reviewed by the judge before he would make a decision.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/execution-delayed-for-death-row-inmate-who-cut-out-his-eyes/ar-AA18lwrs?ocid=Peregrine&cvid=7b3f52308adb437fb96ba589a64b57b1&ei=33

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I bet the judges who sentenced him didn't see this coming.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I can't imagine that anyone would.  OTOH, a sufficiently cunning person might be willing to trade blindness for a continued life.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I think he is truly mentally unstable to the point that he was sentenced incorrectly from the beginning! It must be difficult to decide who is unable to understand the crime they committed, but to blind yourself I think is proof enough the guy is loony toons. What I don’t understand is why it matters anyway, it’s better to put him out of his misery.

JIMHO

8 minutes ago, and-then said:

I can't imagine that anyone would.  OTOH, a sufficiently cunning person might be willing to trade blindness for a continued life.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I think he is truly mentally unstable to the point that he was sentenced incorrectly from the beginning! It must be difficult to decide who is unable to understand the crime they committed, but to blind yourself I think is proof enough the guy is loony toons. What I don’t understand is why it matters anyway, it’s better to put him out of his misery.

JIMHO

I really do not like reading these such cases my biggest heartache is for the ex, the kids her family loved ones, the loon i doubt asked to be insane and the hand hes deal he didnt get treatment that might have saved lives its too late that happens in life i see it more as i get older on the other hand while i agree some deserve death i cant make that call or carry it out.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I really do not like reading these such cases my biggest heartache is for the ex, the kids her family loved ones, the loon i doubt asked to be insane and the hand hes deal he didnt get treatment that might have saved lives its too late that happens in life i see it more as i get older on the other hand while i agree some deserve death i cant make that call or carry it out.

I am with you Paul, believe it or not the older I get and the more I read about things like this it’s disturbing to me also, and I have seen some horrific things!

• Like 1

He's already killed himself, killing his children. Just knock him on the head.

1 hour ago, openozy said:

He's already killed himself, killing his children. Just knock him on the head.

That would seem the more sensible option...  A person who would sink to blinding himself to avoid death seems like he might do anything at all.  Return him to sender with a "No thanks" note attached.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 2