Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humans could soon be equipped with extra robotic body parts

UM-Bot

While back i saw a cat in 7 11 who had i guess state of art prosthetic hand lower arm, it was what appeared to be a mix of kelvar, plastic etc, the thing that stood out was the amount of movement and finger dexterity it had, he did more with it than his other hand.

1 hour ago, UM-Bot said:

Need an extra hand at work ?

They are behind the Terminator by a couple of decades.

Building The Terminator's Arm | Hackaday

8 hours ago, the13bats said:

While back i saw a cat in 7 11 who had i guess state of art prosthetic hand lower arm, it was what appeared to be a mix of kelvar, plastic etc, the thing that stood out was the amount of movement and finger dexterity it had, he did more with it than his other hand.

Exactly.  How about instead of getting extra arms, legs, whatever, how about they concentrate all of their resources in helping amputees getting fully functioning limbs?  I appreciate that in any further developments as the article suggests there will be a parallel improvement of amputees fortunes, but still…

• Thanks 1

Speaking of prosthetics, I would like to see a type of cybernetic limb much like the Auto Mail on FullMetal Alchemist where the prosthetic is patched directly into the nervous system (provided the brain is still trying to send signals to the missing limb) and functions like the real thing.

I realize this is basically a fantasy and the technology is still far off but wouldn't it be great to utilize all that technology to actually help people rather than wasting it on weapons?

• Like 1

As things are progressing my guess will be prosthetic limbs will mimic orginal equipment parts in how the work and move not so much the cool robot parts we saw i. 80s sci fi flicks i would suspect connecting controls to nerve endings is also very close.