Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China province forces people of faith to register on 'Smart Religion' app for worship

OverSword

Henan is one of the most religious provinces in the largely secular country and home to one of China's most vibrant Christian communities

Religious citizens in the Henan province of the People's Republic of China must register with the government's new "Smart Religion" app in order to participate in worship services. 

Religious members of the public in Henan must fill out a government form and verify their place of worship before gathering with fellow believers, according to Chinese human rights advocacy group ChinaAid. "Applicants must fill in personal information, including name, phone number, ID number, permanent residence, occupation, and date of birth, before they can make a reservation," the group reported. "Those who are allowed into the church must also have their temperature taken and show a reservation code."

https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-province-forces-people-faith-register-smart-religion-app-worship

https://chinaaid.org/henan-christians-must-submit-online-form-to-attend-church/

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

Based upon you second like above this is required for all religions not just Christian, it’s seems Fox News may have left this information out intentionally. The following is from the Chinaaid. Org link! So i believe this may be more Covid Related than Religious related since all religions are equally required to register!

“”REGISTRATION REQUIRED””

“”Henan has one of the largest Christian populations in China. According to the “Smart Religion” requirements formulated by Henan’s provincial religious department, if religious believers want to participate in religious activities, they must make online reservations before they can attend services in churches, mosques, or Buddhist temples.””

So this is based upon Covid tracking, I personally think it’s a great idea. That way they can track individuals where new outbreaks of Covid occur. Here, in Korea it’s necessary to have Government App on your phone and you are not allowed to turn off location services. In this manner they can track individuals who have been exposed to an outbreak and depending upon the situation require individuals to be tested and if found positive require them to self quarantine. Currently it’s required that everyone Carrie’s their phone when they leave home for this reason, which how they track an individual’s movements. If someone violates these rules they can be imprisoned and fined up to $10,000. I personally don’t mind it at all, because it works very effectively and it helps control the spread of the Virus!

JIMHO

12 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Based upon you second like above this is required for all religions not just Christian, it’s seems Fox News may have left this information out intentionally.

Both sources state that.  I linked to Fox first because the other link only mentions Christianity in the headline, Fox says people of faith.  You have it backwards. 

12 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

So this is based upon Covid tracking,

That is certainly the excuse.  Who dies from Covid anymore?  China loves a god reason to crack down and control. :gun:

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Based upon you second like above this is required for all religions not just Christian, it’s seems Fox News may have left this information out intentionally. The following is from the Chinaaid. Org link! So i believe this may be more Covid Related than Religious related since all religions are equally required to registe

I don't think it being all religions instead of just Christianity makes it any better. 

And Covid is a convenient excuse. 

We saw with the uyghurs and with Tibet and other areas how the CCP actively works to erase any religion that threatens total CCP control.

I feel this is a control thing more than anything else.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't think it being all religions instead of just Christianity makes it any better. 

And Covid is a convenient excuse. 

We saw with the uyghurs and with Tibet and other areas how the CCP actively works to erase any religion that threatens total CCP control.

I feel this is a control thing more than anything else.

Oh you total conspiracy theorist.

This is to track and control the spread of covid. Nothing else. You want the virus to spread and kill my grandmother!?

I don't let ANYONE into my house unless they have registered on this app and shown me proof of their latest booster.

Some of these conspiracy theorists say IM BEING PARANOID, the cheek of it all.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

Oh you total conspiracy theorist.

This is to track and control the spread of covid. Nothing else. You want the virus to spread and kill my grandmother!?

I don't let ANYONE into my house unless they have registered on this app and shown me proof of their latest booster.

Some of these conspiracy theorists say IM BEING PARANOID, the cheek of it all.

China using Covid as an excuse dosen't mean that every Covid restriction that every government did was a conspiracy. 

The world is grey and everything isn't a binary situation. Some restriction China did probably were legitimately for Covid reasons. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Both sources state that.  I linked to Fox first because the other link only mentions Christianity in the headline, Fox says people of faith.  You have it backwards. 

That is certainly the excuse.  Who dies from Covid anymore?  China loves a god reason to crack down and control. :gun:

The United States has Approximately 500 deaths from COVID a day still as of March 8, 2023, do you want a list of names?:gun:

2 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

The United States has Approximately 500 deaths from COVID a day still as of March 8, 2023, do you want a list of names?:gun:

So you think this is all about safety and not about control and suppression?  In China?  Laughable.  I wonder, do people need to use this app to go to the market?  A sporting event? A restaurant? :hmm:

• Like 1

Just now, OverSword said:

So you think this is all about safety and not about control and suppression?  In China?  Laughable.  I wonder, do people need to use this app to go to the market?  A sporting event? A restaurant? :hmm:

Why would they suppress all Religions, what purpose does that serve?

8 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

It can both be true that Covid is a real threat and problem AND that China uses Covid as an excuse to exert greater control and restricting policies.

I guarantee they used that excuse a ton with control of the uyghurs throughout the pandemic

• Like 3

Just now, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Why have the CCP and most other communist nations always discouraged religion?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

The CCP has always kept a tight control on religion because they don't want any loyalty to be above the state for people. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Why have the CCP and most other communist nations always discouraged religion?  

You answered my question with a question, first answer my question! 

The Chinese government is wary of religion for several reasons. China is officially an atheist state and Communist Party members are banned from believing in or practicing any faith; there is concern that religion can function as an alternative to Communism and thus undermine loyalty to the government.

Link

• Thanks 2

Just now, Grim Reaper 6 said:

You answered my question with a question, first answer my question! 

The answer is pretty simple.  Because they do.  If you want more detail then see above

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The CCP has always kept a tight control on religion because they don't want any loyalty to be above the state for people. 

I have no knowledge of that, do you have a source?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

• Like 2

Your link is 25 years old.

6 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

The uyghurs and Tibet is an easy example. But here is a human rights organizations general summary about the state of religious freedom in China.

https://www.hrw.org/legacy/campaigns/china-98/religion.htm

Edit: I also add some of our governments positions on it.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/3180247/annual-us-report-global-religious-freedom-criticises-china-repression

Edited by spartan max2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The uyghurs and Tibet is an easy example. But here is a human rights organizations general summary about the state of religious freedom in China.

https://www.hrw.org/legacy/campaigns/china-98/religion.htm

Ok and thanks, but that’s a minority group we are talking about all Chinese 

@OverSword @spartan max2 ever morning I get up I watch the Korean News, in Korean. I am aware of the religious passports you’re talking about. I am also aware that COVID in China is still completely out of control, they have more than 1000 people a day still dying from COVID. As far as China being a communist regime I agree they come down hard on certain minority groups but over Religious freedom until recently was not a problem. I assume the purpose of the passports was to track Covid outbreaks, I could certainly be wrong, but I still believe that’s part of the issue.

I apologize for disrupting your thread that was not my intention, I was only offering additional information. 

24 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Your link is 25 years old.

So?  Do you think that those facts are not true today?  Is there a completely different crowd in charge of the CCP that thinks religion is fine and dandy?

So?  Do you think that those facts are not true today?  Is there a completely different crowd in charge of the CCP that thinks religion is fine and dandy?

Did you read my last post?

6 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

but over Religious freedom until recently was not a problem.

That's obviously false.  It is not recent that the CCP actively discourages and monitors religions.  As you pointed out my link was 25 years old.  That's not recent.  Nothing has changed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Did you read my last post?

I agree, they are using covid as an excuse and can do so because look at the crappy job they have done controlling the disease.  I bet this app never goes away for religious people and will be adopted by other provinces as well.

• Like 3