Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What were Neanderthals really like—and why did they go extinct?

Grim Reaper 6

When limestone quarry workers in Germany’s Neander Valley discoveredfossilized bones in 1856, they thought they’d uncovered the remains of a bear. In fact, they’d stumbled upon something that would change history: evidence of an extinct species of ancient human predecessors who walked the Earth between at least 400,000 and 40,000 years ago. Researchers soon realized that they had already encountered these human relatives in earlier fossils that had been found, and misidentified, throughout the early 19th century. The discovery galvanized scientists eager to explore new theories of evolution, sparking a worldwide fossil hunt and tantalizing the public with the possibility of a mysterious sister species that once dominated Europe.

Now known as Neanderthals—so named by geologist William King—Homo neanderthalensis are humans’ closest known relatives. Here’s what to know about our human ancestors, including how they lived and why they died out.

GREAT ARTICLE SEE THE STORY IN THE LINK,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/what-were-neanderthals-really-like-and-why-did-they-go-extinct/ar-AA18hOt9?ocid=Peregrine&cvid=d6c11797114348d5b7c527e09180ab16&ei=32

• Like 9

But they didn't really go extinct.   A lot of us with european ancestry have their DNA.   It is an interesting article.  Thanks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have a theory: Neanderthals didn't go extinct. Bigfoot is a Neanderthal man that survived for thousands of years.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, flying squid said:

I have a theory: Neanderthals didn't go extinct. Bigfoot is a Neanderthal man that survived for thousands of years.

Well, that might explain my big feet since I am one who has neanderthal DNA.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

But they didn't really go extinct.   A lot of us with european ancestry have their DNA.   It is an interesting article.  Thanks.

We both know since we have Neanderthal DNA they never really have gone extinct. But, it was a great article so I thought it was worth a thread!:tu:

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, flying squid said:

That’s an interesting theory, but since I have approximately 3% DNA does that mean I am related to Bigfoot!:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

That’s an interesting theory, but since I have approximately 3% DNA does that mean I am related to Bigfoot!:lol:

We seem to both be related to big foot if that is the case.  I have aout 3% neanderthal DNA as well.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, that might explain my big feet since I am one who has neanderthal DNA.  :lol:

Well, a people laughed too when Galileo Galilei said Earth is round not flat. :lol:

• Like 1

The cold adapted Neanderthal man was put at an evolutionary reproductive disadvantage when some Homo sapiens sapiens (female) invented clothing. (According to - independently - Peter Schaap and Dirk Bontes.)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, flying squid said:

Well, a people laughed too when Galileo Galilei said Earth is round not flat. :lol:

No, educated people knew by the time Galileo was alive that the earth was round.  That is a lie that we were told in gradeschool and I have still not figured out why.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

15 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

We seem to both be related to big foot if that is the case.  I have about 3% neanderthal DNA as well.   

Say.... Are you two related by chance?  I mean you both have 6 for a last name...

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

Say.... Are you two related by chance?  I mean you both have 6 for a last name...

Maybe, but we have never met so we wouldn't know unless @Grim Reaper 6 is on 23 & Me.   That is where I had my dna tested to see where my ancestors actually came from.  My dad was told he was Irish, his dad was 1st generation, but when he did geneology he found out his family were on the Isle of Man for 40 years before they came to the U.S. and before that they were in Scottland, no irish on that branch.  :lol:  His father's other parent was a german immigrant.   But it turns out Germany doesn't show up on my ancestry list, even though I had two great grandparents that claimed they were german (until WW1, then they decided they were Pennsylvania dutch).   Scandanavia does show up, as well as east africa and east asia and native america.  

I think all americans who think they are of european decent should have an ancestry dna test done.   America (both continents) are called the great melting pot for a reason.  It could be different for people like GR who is 1st generation U.S. American, but there still could be some surprises, especially because names got changed when people came through Ellis Island (NY City) or Angel Island (San Francisco).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Yes she is my Sister, and dam it don’t get fresh with her you crotchety old dude!:angry::lol:

@Desertrat56

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Maybe, but we have never met so we wouldn't know unless @Grim Reaper 6 is on 23 & Me.   That is where I had my dna tested to see where my ancestors actually came from.  My dad was told he was Irish, his dad was 1st generation, but when he did geneology he found out his family were on the Isle of Man for 40 years before they came to the U.S. and before that they were in Scottland, no irish on that branch.  :lol:  His father's other parent was a german immigrant.   But it turns out Germany doesn't show up on my ancestry list, even though I had two great grandparents that claimed they were german (until WW1, then they decided they were Pennsylvania dutch).   Scandanavia does show up, as well as east africa and east asia and native america.  

I think all americans who think they are of european decent should have an ancestry dna test done.   America (both continents) are called the great melting pot for a reason.  It could be different for people like GR who is 1st generation U.S. American, but there still could be some surprises, especially because names got changed when people came through Ellis Island (NY City) or Angel Island (San Francisco).

I agree having your DNA tested is like opening up an old photo album you have never seen before. The Neanderthal DNA was a surprise to be honest, especially the fact that I had 3% Neanderthal DNA, because that’s the upper limit that’s found in humans today. My German and Danish heritage also showed up very clearly in my DNA test. But that was expected based upon the part of Germany my parents were from which was Flensburg, Germany which is located near the Border of Denmark. Yea I certainly think it’s worth getting tested, just for the fun of it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

We seem to both be related to big foot if that is the case.  I have about 3% neanderthal DNA as well.   

Hey we are partners in crime I guess, what size shoe do you wear, I wear a 11.5?

7 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Hey we are partners in crime I guess, what size shoe do you wear, I wear a 11.5?

That is what my brother wears, and he is 5'11".   I wear a 10.5 or 10 depending on how it is made.   I often buy men's shoes because I have trouble finding shoes that fit, so in men's I wear a 9.5.   When I was in the army in the mid  70's they wouldn't let women buy men's boots and they wouldn't give me boots that fit so I had to find a man who had the same size foot as mine and ask him to buy the boots for me.   Very stupid.  But they had just disbanded the Women's Army corps and still didn't know what to do with us or the surplus clothes, shoes and boots.  By the lat 70's I could go to the PX and buy my own boots.

P.S. by the time I was 13 I wore a size 10 shoe and was only 5' 3".   The only other girl in 8th grade that had size 10 shoes was 4 inches taller than me.   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is what my brother wears, and he is 5'11".   I wear a 10.5 or 10 depending on how it is made.   I often buy men's shoes because I have trouble finding shoes that fit, so in men's I wear a 9.5.   When I was in the army in the mid  70's they wouldn't let women buy men's boots and they wouldn't give me boots that fit so I had to find a man who had the same size foot as mine and ask him to buy the boots for me.   Very stupid.  But they had just disbanded the Women's Army corps and still didn't know what to do with us or the surplus clothes, shoes and boots.  By the lat 70's I could go to the PX and buy my own boots.

P.S. by the time I was 13 I wore a size 10 shoe and was only 5' 3".   The only other girl in 8th grade that had size 10 shoes was 4 inches taller than me.   

Wow, you really have a big foot, myself while I wear a 11.5 I often must buy a size 12 because I have a wide foot. Before I joined the Military I was almost 6’ 1”, but after going airborne in 1979 and staying on jump status throughout my career I lost approximately 1” in height which is normal. When, I joined the Army in 1978, they still kept male and female soldiers separated in basic training. But, in either 1979 or 1980 they started integrating basic training units, I mean it only makes sense. I never realized that female soldiers were treated like that, it really sucks, but things were certainly different then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Hey little brother and sister, size 14 here weighing in here at 3%.  I did the  DNA testing too.  Scottish and Irish as family history claimed, but about half was Scandinavian, I guess from Norse and Danish settlers in Scotland and Ireland.

Family secret:  Our name was too hard to pronounce  so we shortened it from Tatetopa6 to Tatetopa.:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Wow, you really have a big foot, myself while I wear a 11.5 I often must buy a size 12 because I have a wide foot. Before I joined the Military I was almost 6’ 1”, but after going airborne in 1979 and staying on jump status throughout my career I lost approximately 1” in height which is normal. When, I joined the Army in 1978, they still kept male and female soldiers separated in basic training. But, in either 1979 or 1980 they started integrating basic training units, I mean it only makes sense. I never realized that female soldiers were treated like that, it really sucks, but things were certainly different then.

They tried 3 times to integrate women into men's basic before they figured it out and even so, in 2000 when my neice was in basic she was not safe with her fellow soldiers.   We still have a long way to go in the area of rape and men thinking they are superior.   I remember the first test of women and  men in basic together was at South Carolina in 1977, my sister - in - law was in that unit and lots of inappropriate things happened to the women.   She ended up quiting the army after she graduated basic.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Hey little brother and sister, size 14 here weighing in here at 3%.  I did the  DNA testing too.  Scottish and Irish as family history claimed, but about half was Scandinavian, I guess from Norse and Danish settlers in Scotland and Ireland.

Family secret:  Our name was too hard to pronounce  so we shortened it from Tatetopa6 to Tatetopa.:D

Well it’s nice to meet another family member, and it seems we also share a similar bloodline. I wish you would add the 6, that will be our little secret.

Since you shared a family secret I will also, my father changed our family name when him and my mother immigrated from Germany, however my birth certificate has my full family name. My name was Gregor Wilhelm Ritter Von _________ and now it’s Craig William ________  that’s why some people on the forum call me Craig.:tu:

@Desertrat56

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

They tried 3 times to integrate women into men's basic before they figured it out and even so, in 2000 when my neice was in basic she was not safe with her fellow soldiers.   We still have a long way to go in the area of rape and men thinking they are superior.   I remember the first test of women and  men in basic together was at South Carolina in 1977, my sister - in - law was in that unit and lots of inappropriate things happened to the women.   She ended up quiting the army after she graduated basic.   

That’s very sad, throughout my military career I never really worked with female soldiers due to my ASI and MOS, I was on active duty from 1978-2003 when I retired. Now, I had two females who worked on my 8 person teams when I was a Contractor working in Middle Eastern Operations. These two lady’s were as qualified and as hard working as any of the guys that worked for me. I trained my people to treat each other like family and in 10 years, I only had one knuckle head guy I had to Fire because he didn’t understand what treating each other like family means. You mention South Carolina above, I went to basic training at Ft. Jackson in 1978, is that where you were talking about?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

That’s very sad, throughout my military career I never really worked with female soldiers due to my ASI and MOS, I was on active duty from 1978-2003 when I retired. Now, I had two females who worked on my 8 person teams when I was a Contractor working in Middle Eastern Operations. These two lady’s were as qualified and as hard working as any of the guys that worked for me. I trained my people to treat each other like family and in 10 years, I only had one knuckle head guy I had to Fire because he didn’t understand what treating each other like family means. You mention South Carolina above, I went to basic training at Ft. Jackson in 1978, is that where you were talking about?

Yes, I was at basic at Ft. Jackson in 1974.  My sister-in-law was there in 1977.   My neice was also there in 2000 for basic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, I was at basic at Ft. Jackson in 1974.  My sister-in-law was there in 1977.   My neice was also there in 2000 for basic.

That place really sucks, and it’s hot as hell in the summer.

Just now, Grim Reaper 6 said:

That place really sucks, and it’s hot as hell in the summer.

My sister in law and I were there in the fall, cold in the morning, hot in the afternoon, just like home for me except for the humidity.   My neice was there in the spring, or early summer, I think.   I went with my sister to the basic graduation.  She was one of the flag bearers in the parade and I was very impressed with that.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My sister in law and I were there in the fall, cold in the morning, hot in the afternoon, just like home for me except for the humidity.   My neice was there in the spring, or early summer, I think.   I went with my sister to the basic graduation.  She was one of the flag bearers in the parade and I was very impressed with that.   

While I was in basic, I stayed as inconspicuous as possible. When I enlisted I scored high on the ASFAB Test, which gave me a GT Score of 138. My father had pulled some strings with a Missouri State Congressman he was friends with to get me into West Point. But, I disappointed him a little because I didn’t want to be an officer. So, when I scored high and received a 138 GT Score the Officer Crap came back to haunt me. But, I made it clear to a Major General that I didn’t want to be an officer so finally that crap was put to rest. However, because of my GT Score I was able to choose any career field in the US Army. My first enlistment in 1978, I received a $30,000 bonus for enlisting for 6 years, I also received $25,000 more on my second 6 year enlistment but after that I was considered a career soldier so no more enlistment bonuses!:cry:, but it didn’t matter because I loved my job!:D

• Like 1

• The topic was locked