Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK to give £500m to help France curb small boat crossings

Still Waters

The UK will give France almost £500m over three years to help stop migrants crossing the Channel in small boats.

The cash was announced at a summit in Paris between UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and President Emmanuel Macron, who said France would also contribute.

The money will go towards an extra 500 officers and a new detention centre in France, but this will not be fully operational until the end of 2026.

The UK had planned to pay France around £63m this year to tackle the problem.

This new package appears to at least double that amount, with the UK pledging £120m in 2023-24.

France will also step up its funding of enforcement but has not said by how much.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64916446

Seems like a monumental task. There's so much coastline to patrol where a small boat could launch from and so much coastline in the UK where they could land. I'd imagine most try to take the shortest route, which probably makes it easier to catch many of them.

What happens to the small boats that are impounded, I wonder?

Edited by DieChecker

I understand there is a compound somewhere near Dover where many of the dinghies are stored.  To what end, I don’t know.  Some talk about donating the best ones to charities that help disadvantaged children enjoy water sports/activities on our inland lakes and reservoirs.

• Like 1

How about deporting those who don't fit asylium frame. Albanian/Lithuanian pretends to be Pakistani? Send them back to Pakistan...

Real asylium seekers suffer the most. Those have to be helped.

Excellent.... because of course it's worked so well so far. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Excellent.... because of course it's worked so well so far. 

I don't know why we are paying France a penny. We have Taken Back Control of our Borders! What has it to do with France? Why are we involving them in the control of our borders?

On 3/11/2023 at 1:56 PM, Susanc241 said:

I understand there is a compound somewhere near Dover where many of the dinghies are stored.  To what end, I don’t know.  Some talk about donating the best ones to charities that help disadvantaged children enjoy water sports/activities on our inland lakes and reservoirs.

It makes more sense than keeping them locked up in hotels or detention centres.