Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

High-value Amazon orders 'switched for cat food', say customers

Eldorado

After the BBC published a story in January about how a man was sent dog food by Amazon instead of the iPhone he ordered, dozens of readers have been in touch with similar complaints.

Many of those we spoke to told of high-value products such as cameras and computer kit being swapped for low-value items like cat food or face masks. Here, we share a selection of readers' experiences.

"When I opened the box, I was hit by a wave of panic, I was shocked to see Felix cat food," Jonathan said.

"I was very anxious, as I knew it was not going to be easy to get my money back."

He had purchased a Sony Alpha 6-400 camera, priced at £900, and a Tamron telephoto lens priced at £520, on 8 September. The order had a combined value of £1,420.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-64874963

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hmmm... I think maybe Amazon's nearest warehouse has some thieves working in it.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, and-then said:

Hmmm... I think maybe Amazon's nearest warehouse has some thieves working in it.

And the occasional Santa. Sometimes they will give me an entire box of a product that I only ordered a single unit of. About a year or so ago I ordered an individual package of Duracell's rechargeable batteries (for my wireless gaming mouse), and the nice workers at Amazon gave me an entire box of them (five). Gave one to my pop. They've come in handy. Still got a couple in their original packaging, just sitting in the closet.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 10:17 AM, Nuclear Wessel said:

And the occasional Santa. Sometimes they will give me an entire box of a product that I only ordered a single unit of. About a year or so ago I ordered an individual package of Duracell's rechargeable batteries (for my wireless gaming mouse), and the nice workers at Amazon gave me an entire box of them (five). Gave one to my pop. They've come in handy. Still got a couple in their original packaging, just sitting in the closet.

Excellent!  IIRC, the law says you aren't liable to pay for or return such mistakes on their part.  :yes:

5 hours ago, and-then said:

Excellent!  IIRC, the law says you aren't liable to pay for or return such mistakes on their part.  :yes:

That is correct - legally they are viewed as "gifts". Companies will occasionally try to convince you to send items back, but you aren't legally obligated to do so whatsoever.

I've seen people "feel guilty" because Apple sent them an extra Mac, so they returned them. Words cannot express how much second hand embarrassment I felt for such stupidity and naivety.

What To Do if You’re Billed for Things You Never Got, or You Get Unordered Products | Consumer Advice (ftc.gov)

Your Rights When You Get Unordered Merchandise

By law, companies can’t send unordered merchandise to you, then demand payment. That means you never have to pay for things you get but didn’t order. You also don’t need to return unordered merchandise. You’re legally entitled to keep it as a free gift.

Sellers can send you merchandise that is clearly marked as a gift, free sample, or the like. And, charitable organizations can send you merchandise and ask for a contribution. It's your right to keep such merchandise as a free gift.

Sometimes, you might sign up for a free trial, only to discover that the company starts sending you products every month, and billing you. That might be a scam. Learn about free-trials, auto-renewals, and negative option subscriptions and what to do if you're charged for products you don't want or didn't order.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel

I wonder if someone from the warehouse is playing a prank and messing with the orders.

Edited by Scholar4Truth

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 4:03 PM, Eldorado said:

After the BBC published a story in January about how a man was sent dog food by Amazon instead of the iPhone he ordered, dozens of readers have been in touch with similar complaints.

Many of those we spoke to told of high-value products such as cameras and computer kit being swapped for low-value items like cat food or face masks. Here, we share a selection of readers' experiences.

"When I opened the box, I was hit by a wave of panic, I was shocked to see Felix cat food," Jonathan said.

"I was very anxious, as I knew it was not going to be easy to get my money back."

He had purchased a Sony Alpha 6-400 camera, priced at £900, and a Tamron telephoto lens priced at £520, on 8 September. The order had a combined value of £1,420.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-64874963

So, that's who sent me an iPhone in a cat food box....

• Haha 2