Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can pets see ghosts?

geminigal

Our dog barks at the air and our cat curls his back and runs away for no reason. We think there's a ghost in our house although we don't have the usual things going on like lights flickering or cold spots. We've heard nosies upstairs when nobody was up there buy chalked it up to the house being old. If it's true the ghost must be friendly or not mean us any harm. Just turned our puppy gray in a matter of months. 

• Like 4

It's probably just a sound or an scent that unsettles them. They hear and smell much better than we do.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, geminigal said:

Our dog barks at the air and our cat curls his back and runs away for no reason. We think there's a ghost in our house although we don't have the usual things going on like lights flickering or cold spots. We've heard nosies upstairs when nobody was up there buy chalked it up to the house being old. If it's true the ghost must be friendly or not mean us any harm. Just turned our puppy gray in a matter of months. 

We took in a stray cat years ago, and while he was with us (which wasn't long), he would run up and down our stairs around the same time every night. You couldn't use the stairs while he was doing this because he would go for you. Our house was not haunted, I still don't understand why he acted that way.

• Like 2

@tashamarie That sounds like classic zoomies lol, pretty much all cats get them. It's a burst of energy and they run around like crackheads for about 10 mins. This was more fear, my cat was seeing something and was curling his back then running for safety. It would happen at random times and not everyday, just once a blue moon kinda thing. I think my cat has gotten used to it now as he does get scared and run but I still catch him looking off in the distance at something that isn't there (to me anyway). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, geminigal said:

What color was your puppy before he turned gray?

13 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

We took in a stray cat years ago, and while he was with us (which wasn't long), he would run up and down our stairs around the same time every night. You couldn't use the stairs while he was doing this because he would go for you. Our house was not haunted, I still don't understand why he acted that way.

Was the cat male of female?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Was the cat male of female?

Male cat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TashaMarie said:

Male cat.

He most likely wasn’t Neutered, and when they’re not they can get vey territorial! 

• Like 1

Just now, Grim Reaper 6 said:

He most likely wasn’t Neutered, and when they’re not they can get vey territorial! 

He was quite young when we found him so I doubt he was.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, geminigal said:

That’s really a cute puppy, what breed is he?

47 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

He was quite young when we found him so I doubt he was.  

Yea that is most likely why he was so wild, but if you found him he may have been born wild also!

Hi Tasha. I do believe pets can sense things we can't. 25 years ago we moved into a big house that had a hundred year old school house incorporated into it. Right away the dogs, and cat would stare up the stairs to the loft, and storage areas but wouldn't go up. The loft was missing the door knob, and latch, so I replaced them. Funny thing was the door was always open in the morning. I'd been keeping the door closed to keep the pets out, as I wanted that room for guests. The new lock was solid, and wouldn't open no matter how much I push/pulled, and wiggled 

The dogs,and cat kept right on staring. They never acted scared, but more curious with head tilting. I got frustrated because the door kept opening but more frequently. My wife was getting a little freaked out also. One night we were watching TV and heard the door open, then bang shut. This upset my wife, so angrily I stomped up the stairs and opened both doors, and in my don't mess with me voice I told whoever to stop freaking my wife out with the door, or I'd have ghost investigators come over, and have them removed forcibly. I also gently said that we could cohabitation together as long as there's no more shenanigans. 

All the activity soon stopped, and the pets became disinterested with the now staying closed loft door. I figured it was kids from the old school returning to visit , and play some pranks. 

Then again, it might just be a mouse, squirrels, or bats.

Try burning sage upstairs, as well as down. In every room, and closet. As you do this, tell whatever might be there that only good people can stay, and anyone with evil intentions will have to leave Now! Be firm. 

Sounds silly, but if it works....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, geminigal said:

@Grim Reaper 6He is a Maltese-Yorkie mix, I have videos of him just barking at the air. 

Can you post a video that would be really cool, he is really a beautiful little guy and he is lucky because you obviously love him!:tu:

16 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Hi Tasha. I do believe pets can sense things we can't. 25 years ago we moved into a big house that had a hundred year old school house incorporated into it. Right away the dogs, and cat would stare up the stairs to the loft, and storage areas but wouldn't go up. The loft was missing the door knob, and latch, so I replaced them. Funny thing was the door was always open in the morning. I'd been keeping the door closed to keep the pets out, as I wanted that room for guests. The new lock was solid, and wouldn't open no matter how much I push/pulled, and wiggled 

The dogs,and cat kept right on staring. They never acted scared, but more curious with head tilting. I got frustrated because the door kept opening but more frequently. My wife was getting a little freaked out also. One night we were watching TV and heard the door open, then bang shut. This upset my wife, so angrily I stomped up the stairs and opened both doors, and in my don't mess with me voice I told whoever to stop freaking my wife out with the door, or I'd have ghost investigators come over, and have them removed forcibly. I also gently said that we could cohabitation together as long as there's no more shenanigans. 

All the activity soon stopped, and the pets became disinterested with the now staying closed loft door. I figured it was kids from the old school returning to visit , and play some pranks. 

Then again, it might just be a mouse, squirrels, or bats.

Try burning sage upstairs, as well as down. In every room, and closet. As you do this, tell whatever might be there that only good people can stay, and anyone with evil intentions will have to leave Now! Be firm. 

Sounds silly, but if it works....

Actually it doesn’t sound silly at all, the Buddhists have used sage to quiet or remove temperamental spirits for thousands of years. When, a Korean moves into a home, they go through a complete purification ritual even if the house brand new. Sage is burned  and every space is purified with it including the attic and the basement. I have participated in this a number time over the 36 years we have been married!:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was sitting out in the yard one summer night and my dog was acting nervous for some reason.

Later that night, a storm came up and it was raining and thundering. I think she could hear or feel

the storm coming which explained her nervousness.

• Like 2

I suspect you just have a hobo living in your walls.  It happens a lot.

• Haha 2

Put me down as a believer that dogs and cats are more sensitive to ghosts than people.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

Our house was not haunted, I still don't understand why he acted that way.

How do you know it wasn't, animals have much more tuned senses and don't think skeptically.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, geminigal said:

He is a Maltese-Yorkie mix,

Yorkies and Silky terriers start off black and tan and turn grey as they mature.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, geminigal said:

Have you felt anything bad or negative in your home? After a lot of experiences I believe most of these things are negative entities rather than ghosts of humans which are more stone tape or replays of their normal days when alive and can be seen by some people and animals. It could be an animal, fox, racoon upsetting the dog but I'm always open to other theories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openozy said:

Have you felt anything bad or negative in your home? After a lot of experiences I believe most of these things are negative entities rather than ghosts of humans which are more stone tape or replays of their normal days when alive and can be seen by some people and animals. It could be an animal, fox, racoon upsetting the dog but I'm always open to other theories.

As I mentioned, if this is a ghost we assume it's friendly. We haven't experienced anything bad, we did sage and all it did was smoke up the house in a bad way. I probably did it wrong. Whenever it happens it's inside the house so I doubt that it's another animal. The fact that it's affected the cat and the dog separately is also strange. We didn't even get the animals at the same time. I should mention we've lived in this house for 10 years, and the house is 24 years old. I know that older dogs turn gray as do humans but my puppy of a couple months turned gray, that is what's unusual. It could be unrelated and genetic but I looked it up and it said that dogs with extremely stressful situations prematurely gray. Reasons: #1age, #2stress and anxiety, #3genetics, #4vitiligo, #5 health issues. So my conclusion was #2 or #3 but I saw the parents so I ruled #3 out on my own. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Can you post a video that would be really cool, he is really a beautiful little guy and he is lucky because you obviously love him!:tu:

I don't think I'll be able to upload the video, I was barely able to upload the pic it was over the size limit. I had to crop it. :blush:

• Thanks 1

Literally no animal can see ghosts. They are fictional. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1