Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA’s Magellan Data Reveals Volcanic Activity on Venus

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA’s Magellan Data Reveals Volcanic Activity on Venus

In a first, scientists have seen direct evidence of active volcanism on Earth’s twin, setting the stage for the agency’s VERITAS mission to investigate.

Direct geological evidence of recent volcanic activity has been observed on the surface of Venus for the first time. Scientists made the discovery after poring over archival radar images of Venus taken more than 30 years ago, in the 1990s, by NASA’s Magellan mission. The images revealed a volcanic vent changing shape and increasing significantly in size in less than a year.

Read More: NASA

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a bit surprised that they haven't found that out until now. I thought that it was already a known fact that Venus has volcanic activity.

2 hours ago, fred_mc said:

I'm a bit surprised that they haven't found that out until now. I thought that it was already a known fact that Venus has volcanic activity.

It was know that there had been volcanic activity in the past. It was suspected, but not known for sure, that Venus is still  volcanically active. As the article says, this is the first direct evidence of current activity. 

Venus is quite hard to survive when landing on. A giant pressure cookers. Mars is way more gentle and hospitable.

When the sun will become hotter, the earth will be a blazing inferno like Venus. Will be in 1 billion years, everything will be erased.

3 hours ago, Montello said:

Venus is hell

True.

2 hours ago, Montello said:

impoosible to landing

Not true.Venera 7 made the first successful on the surface of Venus in 1970. There have been at least 10 successful landings, 9 Soviet and 1 US. Thanks to the Spviet Venera missions we have images from the surface of Venus. Admittedly probes don't last long there, Venera 13 holds the current record, lasting for 127 minutes.

also lot of active vulcanos

That's rather the point of this topic. There was no direct evidence of active volcanism. Whilst it is likely that there are a lot of active volcanoes for the moment that is entirely speculation. It is also worth pointing out that there are a lot of active volcanoes on Earth, but it doesn't stop us landing there.

acid rain

The surface temperature of Venus is higher than the boiling point of sulphuric acid. This means that the rain evaporates long before it reaches the surface.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Montello said:

Yesss bit rover cant work here long melted

Actually since 2012 NASA has proposed several Venus rovers including called Vephyr which has a design life of 50 days the, the Hybrid Autonomous Rover – Venus and the Automaton Rover for Extreme Environments (AREE).

Russia also intends to send a new spacecraft to Venus. Called Venera-D it was intended, before the Ukraine war, that it would include instruments from NASA. One of these is called Long Lived In-situ Solar System Explorer (LLISSE). This would last more than 90 days on the surface of Venus. 

Remember that Venera 13 lasted more than 2 hours... and that was more than 40 years ago. Technology has improved since then.

27 minutes ago, Montello said:

and no life 

It's unclear if you mean that there is no life on Venus or you mean we can't land astronauts there.

It's certainly true that we couldn't, currently, land a crew there, but that's precisely why we have robotic landers and rovers.

As for there being life on Venus then that is less clear. Almost certainly there is no life on the surface but some recent measurements have suggested that there could be simple life in the upper atmosphere. As for Venus' past it is believed that, early in it's existence, it may have had oceans and maybe even life... all the more reason to send missions there.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Montello said:

No we cant out  rover who will.work onl ly half hour big pressure and temperatures there

Firstly this is factually incorrect. As I have already pointed out Venera 13 lasted more than four times longer than this... 127 minutes.

Secondly, again as l have already pointed out, NASA disagrees with you as they working on surface vehicles which can survive several months. When it comes to opinions I'm afraid that of the most successful space agency in the world immeasurably outweighs yours. Here is a link to an article about a proposal for a Venus lander that would last for 120 days.

There is no magical reason why a spacecraft can't survive for a long time on the surface of Venus, the limitations are purely technological. You don't seem to be taking into account that technology is improving at a staggering rate. The Russian Venera probes, which were lasting around 2 hours on the Venusian surface, were using technology developed in the 1970's. Do you really believe that there has been no advances in the relevant technical fields in the 50 years?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Montello said:

Only put humana around venus 100 km in space ballon

Who mentioned putting humans on the surface? This is what I said:

On 3/22/2023 at 10:39 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

It's certainly true that we couldn't, currently, land a crew there, but that's precisely why we have robotic landers and rovers.

• 2 weeks later...

15 minutes ago, Montello said:

rovers there russians rover work 30 min

Repeatedly posting the same, false, information doesn't magically make it true, but I don't think that you are actually interested in facts or the truth or even an intelligent discussion. I strongly suspect that you are simply trolling now. If you have something to add to the conversation then please do so, but if you are just going to keep repeating the same falsehood, without adding anything to the conversation, then now would be a good time to stop.

For those actually interested in the truth:

As I have repeatedly pointed out Venera 13 lasted 4 times longer on the Venusian surface than Montello claims (127 minutes to be precise), and that was in 1981 using 1970s technology.

The lander survived for 127 minutes (the planned design life was 32 minutes) in an environment with a temperature of 457 degrees C and a pressure of 89 Earth atmospheres.

Source: NASA - Venera 13 Descent Craft

For its 2 hours working on the surface, Venera 13 did a lot of science, if one were to judge by the standards of the time. It snapped a panorama of images with its camera, sending back 14 color photographs and another eight in black and white.

Source: Space.com

Although the lander was designed to function for about 32 minutes, it continued to operate for at least 127 minutes in an environment where the temperature was 457 °C (855 °F) and the pressure was 9.0 MPa (89 standard atmospheres). Data was transmitted by the lander to the satellite, which functioned as a data relay as it flew by Venus.

Source: Wikipedia

Whilst we are on the point of accuracy, the Russian spacecraft were not rovers, they were landers. Rovers are built to be mobile on the surface, landers are not.

20 minutes ago, Montello said:

again like said rovers or landers cant work.too long on surface venus fact  too heat they can work 45 nin and burn

What part of "Venera 13 lasted over 2 hours" are you not understanding?

23 minutes ago, Montello said:

lasted 1 hour or 2bhour  no sence to send rovers to venus  to work.short  hell planet 

That's progress, at least you've finally stopped  falsely claiming that they only last 30 minutes. 

So let's see if we can stop you repeating the rest of your nonsense. I will, once again, repeat the points that you are ignoring. 

1. They are not rovers, they are landers.
  2. Previous landers used 40 year old technology.
  3. Technology has advanced in 4 decades.
  4. Both Russia and the USA have plans for landers that can survive for days or even weeks on the surface.

An additional point, a lot of science can be achieved in a few hours, so it makes perfect sense to send landers to Venus. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Montello said:

my opinion is that they cant work too long in venus 465 c end quote

NASA's opinion is that they can. Their opinion matters, yours doesn't.