Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA, Axiom Space: Artemis Moon Mission Spacesuit [updated]

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA, Axiom Space to Reveal Artemis Moon Mission Spacesuit

A spacesuit prototype of what NASA astronauts, including the first woman, plan to wear on the surface of the Moon during the agency’s Artemis III mission, is set for reveal during a televised event hosted by Axiom Space beginning at 10:30 a.m. EDT (9:30 a.m. CDT) Wednesday, March 15, from Space Center Houston in Texas.

The event will air live on NASA Television, the NASA app, and the agency’s website.

Read More: NASA

• Like 1

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Still Waters

• Hammerclaw

• joseraul

Spacesuit for NASA’s Artemis III Moon Surface Mission Debuts

When NASA sends the first astronauts to explore near the lunar South Pole, moonwalkers will wear spacesuits provided by Axiom Space. NASA selected the company to develop the modern suits for the Artemis III mission and participated in activities when the first prototype was revealed Wednesday during an event at Space Center Houston in Texas.

Helping take a step forward in the agency's goal to build a robust economy at the Moon by working with commercial service providers, Axiom Space hosted the event for students and media to ask questions and get a close-up look at the spacesuit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I like that suit. Reminds me of Oscar, in Heinlein's Have Spacesuit, Will Travel.

It's really exciting to see this progress.  I'm getting a chance to see man on the moon at both ends of my life.  I was 8 when we landed there the first time.  Looks like I'll be 64 or so for this one.  GO NASA!

• Like 2

the exterior aesthetics and logo were created by costume designer Esther Marquis who worked on the suits used in the TV series For All Mankind.

I've not long finished watching that series, it's good.

While the newly revealed spacesuit is mostly black in the initial promotional shots, the actual spacesuits worn during the mission will be the traditional white color.

I like the dark colour.

White space suits are soooo yesterday 

I want to know why it is black, I know stripes of orange and blue, but black seems like a mistake, you need some neon color that will stand out in space or on the moon or mars.

Edited by Desertrat56

8 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I want to know why it is black, I know stripes of orange and blue, but black seems like a mistake, you need some neon color that will stand out in space or on the moon or mars.

From the article:

While the newly revealed spacesuit is mostly black in the initial promotional shots, the actual spacesuits worn during the mission will be the traditional white color.

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

NASA Expands Options for Spacewalking, Moonwalking Suits, Services

NASA has awarded Axiom Space and Collins Aerospace task orders under existing contracts to advance spacewalking capabilities in low Earth orbit, as well as moonwalking services for Artemis missions.

The latest Exploration Extravehicular Activity Services task orders, each with a value of $5 million, are intended to have Axiom Space begin work on a spacesuit for use in  low Earth orbit, and Collins Aerospace to begin work on a spacesuit for use on the lunar surface. Encouraging innovation in the suits and services available from both companies helps NASA further its missions for the benefit of humanity as part of its Moon to Mars exploration approach and obtain potential options should any development issues arise.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to NASA, Axiom Space: Artemis Moon Mission Spacesuit [updated]

Axiom Space Tests Lunar Spacesuit at NASA’s Johnson Space Center

com-axiom-suitsshots-20240103-0810.thumb.webp.b9a1cc67755ac4f0f0a44ba36f00c79b.webp

An Axiom Space engineer wearing the AxEMU (Axiom Extravehicular Mobility Unit) spacesuit kneels to collect simulated lunar samples using a scoop during testing at NASA’s Johnson Space Center.
Axiom Space

As part of NASA’s Artemis campaign, the agency is working to land astronauts on the lunar surface during Artemis III, laying the groundwork for a long-term human presence at the Moon for the benefit of all. When the Artemis astronauts take their first steps near the South Pole of the Moon, they will be wearing a spacesuit developed by Axiom Space. In the time since NASA selected the company to provide the spacesuit and supporting systems for Artemis III, Axiom Space has continued to progress with spacesuit design and testing. 

In late 2023, NASA and Axiom Space test subjects wore the next-generation lunar spacesuit during testing at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, where they performed a number of maneuverability tasks that will be required during moonwalks, such as bending down to pick up lunar samples while using lunar geology tools.

Read More: ➡️ NASA