Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Notre Dame is held together by a first-of-its-kind 'iron skeleton,' catastrophic fire revealed

Still Waters

In 2019, a fire broke out inside Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, severely damaging the iconic medieval building. However, the catastrophic fire gave researchers an opportunity to study the building's architecture like never before.

A few months after the inferno was extinguished, researchers discovered that the stones used to build the Gothic-style cathedral were held together using iron staples, a technique that had never been documented before in a building from this time period, according to a study published March 15 in the journal PLOS One..

Notre Dame was constructed in multiple phases starting in the early 12th century and continuing for the next 300 years, according to the Notre Dame Cathedral website.

https://www.livescience.com/notre-dame-is-held-together-by-a-first-of-its-kind-iron-skeleton-catastrophic-fire-revealed

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?

https://notredamecathedralparis.com/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Interesting, but maybe a high-risk technique? If the iron rusted it could cause the stone to split, though perhaps the stones were too massive. It sometimes causes stone mullioned windows to fail. The same stapling method was used here:Metal staples in the construction of the central building of the Belvoir fortress (Kokhav Ha Yarden, Israel) (openedition.org)

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If only they’d let us know who started the fire…

What I'm afraid of is how modern Parisians will build the cathedral back. Will it be a monument to God, or a monument to the current sociopolitical zeitgeist?

21 hours ago, C L Palmer said:

What I'm afraid of is how modern Parisians will build the cathedral back. Will it be a monument to God, or a monument to the current sociopolitical zeitgeist?

Hi C L

I would think that like most restorations it will be to brought back to it’s original state.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi C L

I would think that like most restorations it will be to brought back to it’s original state.

Cue, the one and only Lucy Worsley...

It is all coming back together famously ... Unless the French themselves decides to burn it down again 

[00.58:55]

~

Edited by SHaYap
meh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 9:25 AM, jmccr8 said:

Hi C L

I certainly hope so. I simply fear that like many things in modern society it will be imbued with some divisive political message.

• Like 1