Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

French President Macron overrides parliament to pass retirement age bill

itsnotoutthere

French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday resorted to using special constitutional powers to push his plan to raise the retirement age to 64 from 62 through the lower house of parliament.The pensions overhaul has been met with widespread protests and strikes across France, with the issue seen as extremely contentious in the European nation of 68 million people.

The plans were passed in France’s Senate on Thursday morning but had been due for a vote in the National Assembly (the lower house), where its approval was not guaranteed. Instead, Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne announced to the assembly that the government would trigger Article 49.3 of the French Constitution.

• Like 3

Do those opposed to raising the retirement age have any proposal on how to stop it from going insolvent ?

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Do those opposed to raising the retirement age have any proposal on how to stop it from going insolvent ?

What going insolvent?

18 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

What going insolvent?

Their retirement fund. That's why they are trying to raise the age I assumed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Their retirement fund. That's why they are trying to raise the age I assumed 

I don't think the retirement fund is handled in europe, france, the way it is handeled in USA.

Anyways, this one sided act will not end well for Macron. He went against the people, the parliament...all, the right, the left and the middle will show him out the door.

That was a stupid move, regardless if one agrees or not with raising the retirement age.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, odas said:

I don't think the retirement fund is handled in europe, france, the way it is handeled in USA.

Anyways, this one sided act will not end well for Macron. He went against the people, the parliament...all, the right, the left and the middle will show him out the door.

That was a stupid move, regardless if one agrees or not with raising the retirement age.

If not raising the age means kicking the can down the road than it's the young people that are going to be screwed over by this, like usual.

I agree that it was probably not politically smart, but I do respect when a leader does what needs done despite the political strategy of it all. 

From what I gathered they are seeking a no confidence vote which will be the true test.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

If not raising the age means kicking the can down the road than it's the young people that are going to be screwed over by this, like usual.

I agree that it was probably not politically smart, but I do respect when a leader does what needs done despite the political strategy of it all. 

From what I gathered they are seeking a no confidence vote which will be the true test.

I agree with your first part of your post and to an extent with the second. Yes, one has to have gutts to go against all. But, I believe, France is a special case when it comes to age and the mentality. Try to take away the siesta from the Spanish. Most don't use it but they want it there just in case. Same with the French. The vast majority works full or part time anyway beyond 62. But, they want to be the one who makes the call after 62.

For us in NA retirenment at 62 is mostly a dream. Also because we are programed to work hard and long. France and most of Europe are different in that regard. Cannot blame them. There is life after 5 pm, not only Fridays.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, odas said:

I agree with your first part of your post and to an extent with the second. Yes, one has to have gutts to go against all. But, I believe, France is a special case when it comes to age and the mentality. Try to take away the siesta from the Spanish. Most don't use it but they want it there just in case. Same with the French. The vast majority works full or part time anyway beyond 62. But, they want to be the one who makes the call after 62.

For us in NA retirenment at 62 is mostly a dream. Also because we are programed to work hard and long. France and most of Europe are different in that regard. Cannot blame them. There is life after 5 pm, not only Fridays.

I'd really just need to know why they feel it needs raised and what the alternate solutions are (which I am too lazy to look up of course :ph34r:)

• Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 4:12 PM, odas said:

The government says pushing back the pension age from 62 to 64 is vital in order to preserve France's much-prized "share-out" system - based on a single fund that workers pay into and pensioners draw out of.

With people living longer, the only alternatives would be to cut the value of pensions, or increase contributions from those in work.

And both those options would be even more unpopular.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64986741

• Like 3

On 3/17/2023 at 5:50 PM, odas said:

Retirement age is 65+ in most of Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retirement_in_Europe

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eldorado said:

The government says pushing back the pension age from 62 to 64 is vital in order to preserve France's much-prized "share-out" system - based on a single fund that workers pay into and pensioners draw out of.

With people living longer, the only alternatives would be to cut the value of pensions, or increase contributions from those in work.

And both those options would be even more unpopular.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64986741

I agree that 62 is too early in this time and age. Here in Canada it is 65 but early retirement is 55 if a government employee or 60 if not. 

The previous Canadian government under Harper raised it unilateraly  to 67, exluding government employees. That was overturned by Trudeau and clawed back to 65.

Now, for me it is not raising the retirement age, it is how it's done. Slowly and in amounts of years, say 65 to 66 in 5 years and to 67 in another 5 years. To give people time to adjust.

The problem with raising the retirement age all of a sudden is that it mostly affects the people who are anyways working in industries that require physical strength, construction, welding, food service....but it does not have any impact on government officials who are out of touch with the rest and who are misshadling our pension funds in the first place.

• Like 2

Here in the U.S. the earliest retirement age for some middle age people can be at 62, but the catch is you don't get full retirement benefits unless you retire at 67. It was full retirement at 65 for the baby boomer generation. Now most of them have retired now. I think Macron may have screwed his political career with this forceful act with voting on it.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Looks like Macron survived the no confidence vote 

https://www.kiro7.com/news/world/french-government/FFI6DMOFOJTHC6E3NZ2RW6LM5I/

Amongst his fellow MPs,  What about the people?

36 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Amongst his fellow MPs,  What about the people?

Interesting commentary that I was hearing is that it's his last term or something anyways. So he won't be seeking re-election.

France has to decide if they are going to raise the age, raise taxes, cut the benefit amount or just pawn the problem off onto the next generation.

I personally think raising the age two years makes the most sense as people are living longer. And if tech continues, people should hopefully continue to live longer as time passes 

Edited by spartan max2

French President Emmanuel Macron has been criticised after he removed his watch during an interview about pension changes.

France is gripped by protests and strikes over Mr Macron's decision to raise the retirement age from 62 to 64.

Mr Macron's representatives said the president took off the watch because it was "clinking on the table".

But his critics have claimed the watch shows he is out of touch with the public.

Some wrongly claimed it was worth up to €80,000 ($86,000; £70,000), but the Élysée Palace said this was not correct.

The incident happened part way through an interview on Wednesday, when Mr Macron was justifying his reasons for lifting the pension age.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65069823