Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Unfathomable’: millions of dead fish blanket river near Menindee in latest mass kill

Still Waters

Millions of fish have died in another mass kill in the lower Darling-Baaka river near Menindee, in New South West’s far west.

Photos supplied by Menindee residents show dead fish – mostly bony bream, but also Murray cod, golden perch, silver perch and carp – blanketed across the river’s surface.

It is the latest in a series of large-scale fish deaths that have prompted questions about the management of water levels in the Murray-Darling Basin. Menindee residents who spoke with Guardian Australia on Friday said the latest fish kill appeared larger than previous mass deaths.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/mar/17/unfathomable-millions-of-dead-fish-blanket-river-near-menindee-in-latest-mass-kill

• Sad 2

I hope that my country [Australia] managed the Murray Darling river and basin better. But I am cynical about politics and marginal political seats being what matters.

• Like 1

Australia begins mass fish death clean-up

Fish will be cleared from "high density areas", but it will not be possible to remove all the carcasses, police say.

Police reassured local residents that the water supply remained "high quality".

The deaths are thought to have been caused by low oxygen levels in the river after a recent heatwave.

An emergency hub has been set up in the town of Menindee in western NSW to co-ordinate the response and monitor water quality.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-65010344

• Like 1