Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

“It’s ridiculous”: Florida GOP bill would ban young girls from mentioning their periods in school

Grim Reaper 6

A Florida Republican admitted that his bill would ban young girls from discussing menstruation with school officials but claimed it wasn't the "intent" of his legislation. Democratic state Rep. Ashley Viola Gantt pressed McClain over the bill during a House Education Equality Subcommittee hearing on Wednesday, questioning whether it would effectively ban girls below sixth grade from discussing their periods in school

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/it-s-ridiculous-florida-gop-bill-would-ban-young-girls-from-mentioning-their-periods-in-school/ar-AA18L8bI?cvid=3ee5d040b1e34ae992414539537928b9&ei=30

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

THIS^ is the kind of mindless lashing out that the Left uses to obfuscate the real issues.  They fail to mention the real problems are about having insane Leftsters telling sane children they can be any sex they CHOOSE.  The lines are forming and there is no going back to being shouted down, even by illegitimate passage of "laws".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, and-then said:

THIS^ is the kind of mindless lashing out that the Left uses to obfuscate the real issues.  They fail to mention the real problems are about having insane Leftsters telling sane children they can be any sex they CHOOSE.  The lines are forming and there is no going back to being shouted down, even by illegitimate passage of "laws".

Shouted Down?   What are you referring to?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, and-then said:

Alot of these gender focused bill seem to throw in some odd unrelated stuff.

Like Kentucky's bill also included making it so that sex education requires parental consent.

Making teenagers need parental consent to be educated on sex seems pretty stupid.

• Like 3

The Salon. :rolleyes:

I'd have to see the bill after the way the MSM obfuscated the "don't say gay" bill.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Michelle said:

The Salon. :rolleyes:

I'd have to see the bill after the way the MSM obfuscated the "don't say gay" bill.

That's because the Florida bill had some vauge language.

The new Kentucky bill for example was much more explicit and clarified that yes if a kid ask a gender related question you can answer and that if someone has two mom's or you're talking about people in a gay relationship than you can say what it is. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Alot of these gender focused bill seem to throw in some odd unrelated stuff.

Like Kentucky's bill also included making it so that sex education requires parental consent.

Making teenagers need parental consent to be educated on sex seems pretty stupid.

It depends on the age of the student.  I would want to be able to say yes or no to sex education for a 12 year old.  But a 17 year old, not so much.   I really think it should not be sex education, it should be HEALTH education!     

And Every bill that is passed or voted on has extra crap in it.  Sometimes a bill doesn't pass because there isn't enough extra crap in it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, and-then said:

To me it’s a dam shame that our politicians are weaponizing children, these so called leaders are not even considering how the kids feel about this or how their political actions are effecting them. In my opinion these kids are smarter than all our political leaders put together. And the more they are pushed in one direct the more they will learn in the opposite direction out of spite. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

That's because the Florida bill had some vauge language.

The new Kentucky bill for example was much more explicit and clarified that yes if a kid ask a gender related question you can answer and that if someone has two mom's or you're talking about people in a gay relationship than you can say what it is. 

Well that clears it all up then. :D

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It depends on the age of the student.  I would want to be able to say yes or no to sex education for a 12 year old.  But a 17 year old, not so much.   I really think it should not be sex education, it should be HEALTH education!     

And Every bill that is passed or voted on has extra crap in it.  Sometimes a bill doesn't pass because there isn't enough extra crap in it.

It bans sex education for 6th grade and below. For 7th and up parent permission is needed. 

I call it a pro teen pregnancy bill.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

As I recall in my day, it was 7th grade health class when we were taught about menstruation. For some, 6th grade may not be too early. They're both around the target age. The last thing you want is young girls learning by rumor from other classmates. Sometimes mom has a difficult time explaining to their young daughter.

Sex education came around 9th grade. It was controversial back then but it was taught.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It bans sex education for 6th grade and below. For 7th and up parent permission is needed. 

Oh right!  No. I call  it letting parent responsibilty slide away.   Kids need to learn from their parents before school is considered responsible.   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

How old 6th graders are?

5 minutes ago, susieice said:

As I recall in my day, it was 7th grade health class when we were taught about menstruation. For some, 6th grade may not be too early. They're both around the target age. The last thing you want is young girls learning by rumor from other classmates. Sometimes mom has a difficult time explaining to their young daughter.

Sex education came around 9th grade. It was controversial back then but it was taught.

Mothers should be talking to their daughters about menstration and it should not be a surprise, and the girls should know to talk their mother.  They have to get products anyway, who are they going to ask for those?   I don't remember anything about it until 9th grade health class, and it was a one day class, the next day was about the perils of smoking.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Mothers should be talking to their daughters about menstration and it should not be a surprise, and the girls should know to talk their mother.  They have to get products anyway, who are they going to ask for those?   I don't remember anything about it until 9th grade health class, and it was a one day class, the next day was about the perils of smoking.

A lot of mothers back in my day were embarrassed by discussing things with their children that we today have no problem with. All of this was controversial then. Parents didn't discuss any health issues with their children as openly as we do now. Now moms shouldn't have any problems. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

How old 6th graders are?

Around 12.

• Like 3

Just now, susieice said:

A lot of mothers back in my day were embarrassed by discussing things with their children that we today have no problem with. All of this was controversial then. Parents didn't discuss any health issues with their children as openly as we do now. Now moms shouldn't have any problems. 

My mother told us about sex and many other things before we started school.  She was very literal minded so when one of us asked a question we got an literal, scientific answer.    I suppose in the 60's when I was a kid some parents didn't talk to their kids because I do remember my friend, who was the middle child of 5 thought her pregnant sister was pregnant because she wanted to be.   We were 11 and when I asked what the father  of the baby thought about her sister moving to Texas she got upset and insisted that her boyfriend had nothing to do with it.  Right, a 16 year old girl just decided she wanted a baby and Viola! she is pregnant.   I was so surprised, because she had an older sister who had 2 kids already.   So yeah, back then some parents didn't talk to their kids, probably about anything.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

How old 6th graders are?

11-12 I don't have a problem with that part.

It's the parental consent needed for all the 13 and up teenagers which seems pointlessly stupid. 

Edit: because I'm confusing my grades ha 

Edited by spartan max2

I had two older sisters and nothing was taboo in our house. In fact, I don't ever remember not knowing about sex and periods.

Edit: I do remember being embarrassed in a class with boys and girls being talked to about it.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My mother told us about sex and many other things before we started school.  She was very literal minded so when one of us asked a question we got an literal, scientific answer.    I suppose in the 60's when I was a kid some parents didn't talk to their kids because I do remember my friend, who was the middle child of 5 thought her pregnant sister was pregnant because she wanted to be.   We were 11 and when I asked what the father  of the baby thought about her sister moving to Texas she got upset and insisted that her boyfriend had nothing to do with it.  Right, a 16 year old girl just decided she wanted a baby and Viola! she is pregnant.   I was so surprised, because she had an older sister who had 2 kids already.   So yeah, back then some parents didn't talk to their kids, probably about anything.  

It was a generation where it was considered bad form to speak or show anything of a sexual nature to children. Even TV shows were heavily censored. Lucy and Desi had to be shown in separate beds and they couldn't even say the word pregnancy on TV. All of those "family" shows were like that. It didn't make for an open atmosphere for many parents who felt uncomfortable. Thank goodness we're way past that now. My mom didn't say much until I let her know I knew something.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I had two older sisters and nothing was taboo in our house. In fact, I don't ever remember not knowing about sex and periods.

I had 5 brothers. My sister was married when I was 4 as I was the youngest. I really missed having my sister around. But I could play baseball and basketball!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

11-12 I don't have a problem with that part.

It's the parental consent needed for all the 13 and up teenagers which seems pointlessly stupid. 

Edit: because I'm confusing my grades ha 

In '13 and up' what age 'up' stands for?

2 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

In '13 and up' what age 'up' stands for?

13 and older. All the ages above 13. (13-18).

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My mother told us about sex and many other things before we started school.  She was very literal minded so when one of us asked a question we got an literal, scientific answer.    I suppose in the 60's when I was a kid some parents didn't talk to their kids because I do remember my friend, who was the middle child of 5 thought her pregnant sister was pregnant because she wanted to be

I was raised Roman Catholic, when I asked a question that made my parents uncomfortable ( about sex ) they told me to say 5 Hail Marries!!!!!

I was a bad boy!!:D

16 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

We were 11 and when I asked what the father  of the baby thought about her sister moving to Texas she got upset and insisted that her boyfriend had nothing to do with it.  Right, a 16 year old girl just decided she wanted a baby and Viola! she is pregnant.   I was so surprised, because she had an older sister who had 2 kids already.   So yeah, back then some parents didn't talk to their kids, probably about anything.  

• Haha 3