Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

“It’s ridiculous”: Florida GOP bill would ban young girls from mentioning their periods in school

Grim Reaper 6

16 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

13 and older. All the ages above 13. (13-18).

So its 18.

OK, thanks.

I had just turned 10 when I got my period and I thought I was dying. My mother, a product of the 1950’s, never had “the talk” with me. She did explain periods to me after I broke down and told her what was going on. Everything else I learned from friends. 

I made sure my kids (a girl and a boy) both felt comfortable coming to me with any questions. They both knew what to expect as they hit puberty, etc.. 

Their school has sex education but there is an ‘opt out’ option. Many kids did not take sex ed, my kids always took it. I wish there was more emphasis on birth control for those that needed that bit of information but it’s mainly an abstinence based curriculum (Bible belt). No wonder there are quite a few teen pregnancies around here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I was raised Roman Catholic, when I asked a question that made my parents uncomfortable ( about sex ) they told me to say 5 Hail Marries!!!!!

I was a bad boy!!:D

My father waited until I was 16.  How can you shelter children when they have a smartphone?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

I had just turned 10 when I got my period and I thought I was dying. My mother, a product of the 1950’s, never had “the talk” with me. She did explain periods to me after I broke down and told her what was going on. Everything else I learned from friends. 

I made sure my kids (a girl and a boy) both felt comfortable coming to me with any questions. They both knew what to expect as they hit puberty, etc.. 

Their school has sex education but there is an ‘opt out’ option. Many kids did not take sex ed, my kids always took it. I wish there was more emphasis on birth control for those that needed that bit of information but it’s mainly an abstinence based curriculum (Bible belt). No wonder there are quite a few teen pregnancies around here. 

It seems that I read somewhere that the school districts who teach abstinence sex "education" have more teen pregnancies than the ones that include birth control in the lessons.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, WVK said:

My father waited until I was 16.  How can you shelter children when they have a smartphone?

Yes I see your point!

3 hours ago, and-then said:

THIS^ is the kind of mindless lashing out that the Left uses to obfuscate the real issues.  They fail to mention the real problems are about having insane Leftsters telling sane children they can be any sex they CHOOSE.  The lines are forming and there is no going back to being shouted down, even by illegitimate passage of "laws".

No. They can be and GENDER they choose. Biological sex and gender are seperate things. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Face facts.  We need better political parties.  We need to shout down the extremists on both the far left and the far right.  They're both groups of destructive fanatics who are ruining America.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think home schooling would eliminate most of our problems, provided your parents aren't derelicts themselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2023 at 11:13 PM, MGB said:

I think home schooling would eliminate most of our problems, provided your parents aren't derelicts themselves.

You'd seriously trust parents to educate their children?  Have you met people in the USA recently?  They routinely point to Russia when asked to find the USA on a map.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

You'd seriously trust parents to educate their children?  Have you met people in the USA recently?  They routinely point to Russia when asked to find the USA on a map.

And those folks all went through public education……

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, el midgetron said:

And those folks all went through public education……

Assume nothing.  Some of the most braindead people I've ever met came from private high-schools.  You can lead a ***** to culture but you can't make him think.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 3:47 PM, Desertrat56 said:

It seems that I read somewhere that the school districts who teach abstinence sex "education" have more teen pregnancies than the ones that include birth control in the lessons.

Conservative states have higher teen pregnancy rates.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Portre said:

It is no coincidence that conservative states in America have higher teen pregnancy rates.  Age-appropriate sex education helps to prevent teen pregnancy.

I read a study that shows a school district that teaches Absitnence sex education has a higher teen pregnancy rate than schools who teach actuall sex education, including birth control whether the school district is in a conservative state or not.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I read a study that shows a school district that teaches Absitnence sex education has a higher teen pregnancy rate than schoosl who teach actuall sex education, including birth control whether the school district is in a conservative state or not.

Conservative states often prohibit actual sex education, which is what this thread is about.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Portre said:

Conservative states often prohibit actual sex education, which is what this thread is about.

There are certain standards that are required for states to get money for education from the feds.   I think sex education has been added to that requirement and that is where the "abstinence" education came from.

I stand corrected:  Health education is required which usually includes sex education but is not required.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/for-educators/whats-state-sex-education-us

https://www.findlaw.com/education/curriculum-standards-school-funding/sex-education-in-public-schools.html

Edited by Desertrat56

1 hour ago, Agent0range said:

LOL, that Boebert idiot's 17 year old son got a girl pregnant.  Conservative values at it's finest.  

Lol, didn't you dismiss the Hunter Biden laptop story because no one voted for Hunter and Joe Biden didn't appoint him to any cabinet position or any such..... yet now, when it's the son of a Republican politician, it's "conservative values at its finest". 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Agent0range said:

LOL, that Boebert idiot's 17 year old son got a girl pregnant.  Conservative values at it's finest.  

Lauren Boebert? I very same that married the man who exposed himself to her and several of her underage friends at teh time? That Lauren Boebert?

On 3/17/2023 at 1:06 PM, and-then said:

THIS^ is the kind of mindless lashing out that the Left uses to obfuscate the real issues.  They fail to mention the real problems are about having insane Leftsters telling sane children they can be any sex they CHOOSE.  The lines are forming and there is no going back to being shouted down, even by illegitimate passage of "laws".

People have been intersex and trans since the beginning of human culture. What's happening now is one group of religiously driven ideologues want to erase that history, deny the existence and threaten trans, gay and anyone they don't like into silence by threats and discrimination. We get it, you hate trans folk. Telling girls they cannot discuss their own bodies because of some idiotic purity culture imposed by a group of religious zealots isn't ok, and isn't going to benefit anyone but the religious right. They like keeping girls ignorant about their bodies, makes it easier to marry them off at 12. (Feel free to Google which political party is legislating underage marriage. Hint, not the Democrats). 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Portre said:

Conservative states have higher teen pregnancy rates.

But biologically speaking, the teens are the best time for humans to become parents...  Teens have the most energy and the most adaptable minds at that age.  Perhaps teen pregnancy is less evil than it seems?  I mean, our entire education system does nothing but infantilize humans for up to 30 years of their lives when they could be the most productive as their brains and bodies are at their most dynamic.  Everyone has their most brilliant ideas in their teens and twenties, yet our entire economic system is geared to stopping people breeding and locking them out of productive employment when they most need it, i.e. when we are young.  Who decided this was a good idea?  It isn't!

Edited by Alchopwn

On 3/18/2023 at 10:27 AM, Occupational Hubris said:

No. They can be and GENDER they choose. Biological sex and gender are seperate things. 

The gender debate has rendered the term gender meaningless.  There is only SEX now.

Richard Dawkins declares there are only two sexes as matter of science: 'That's all there is to it'

During a recent interview with British journalist Piers Morgan, famed atheist and biologist Richard Dawkins declared, "there are two sexes, and that’s all there is to it."

He added that LGBTQ activists looking to discredit the reality of two biological sexes are pushing "utter nonsense."

Dawkins further noted that those going after Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling for her commitment to the reality of two sexes are "bullies."

The famous critic of religion spoke with Morgan during a recent episode of "Piers Morgan Uncensored." The host prompted Hawkins by mentioning how "extraordinary" it is that LGBTQ activists and woke ideologues "want to what they call, de-gender and neutralize language."

cont...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/richard-dawkins-declares-only-two-sexes-matter-science-thats-all

He has been held with such high esteem in the scientific community for so many years I don't think he's worried about being canceled or bullied.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Michelle said:

He has been held with such high esteem in the scientific community for so many years I don't think he's worried about being canceled or bullied.

He is 81. 

Who knows. Maybe he'll run for president since that seems to be the age range we choose candidates at.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1