Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

“It’s ridiculous”: Florida GOP bill would ban young girls from mentioning their periods in school

Grim Reaper 6

Just now, spartan max2 said:

He is 81. 

Who knows. Maybe he'll run for president since that seems to be the age range we choose candidates at.

What do you think about what such an esteemed biologist says about the sexes?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

What do you think about what such an esteemed biologist says about the sexes?

Meh. He is an individual. I'm sure there are also other scientist who agree with him and that he is an intelligent man. 

At the end of the day he is 81. I'm not surprised he feels how most 81 year olds do.

The concept of sex and gender being two separate things is harder for older people to accept. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The concept of sex and gender being two separate things is harder for older people to accept.

He addressed gender. So, you think the biology of people has changed in the last fifty years? That there are more than two sexes?

Edited by Michelle

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

He addressed gender. So, you think the biology of people has changed in the last fifty years? That there are more than two sexes?

I guess I'm not following. Did he say sex is based on biological or that sex and gender are the same thing.

If he is just saying sex is based on biology then there is no disagreement. 

9 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

The gender debate has rendered the term gender meaningless.  There is only SEX now.

Nope. It's not even a debate. Sex and gender are not the same thing. Culturally and biologically. This has been know and studied for decades. It's idiot poloticiand and uneducted voters that can't undertsand the distinction. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

How do you explain intersex people? Did you know there are 6 different karyotypes sexes? What do you call those? 

Humans are not perfect machines. DNA can be messy.  

Edited by Occupational Hubris
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Meh. He is an individual. I'm sure there are also other scientist who agree with him and that he is an intelligent man. 

At the end of the day he is 81. I'm not surprised he feels how most 81 year olds do.

Not for Dawkins. It's a beat up. From the interview:

Dawkins said, “Science. There are two sexes. You can talk about gender, if you wish. That’s a subjective—I’m not interested in that. As a biologist, there are two sexes and that’s all there is to it. … Sex really is binary.”

I read about this weeks ago. 

He is saying that regarding the sciences, sex is sex and pronouns don't matter. He feels it is very silly to apply pronouns to a biological study. 

Which I don't think too many people would disagree with. It's from a study perspective, not social. 

And he's very clear that he is not talking about gender. 

The right wing slant is not a clear picture of the situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

How do you explain intersex people? Did you know there are 6 different karyotypes sexes? What do you call those? 

X=female, XX=female, XXY=female, XY=male, XYY=male, XXXY=male.

1 minute ago, Alchopwn said:

X=female, XX=female, XXY=female, XY=male, XYY=male, XXXY=male.

Some of those karyotypes can have male genitals but female reproductive organs, or other such abnormalities. It's not always an either/or situation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Not for Dawkins. It's a beat up. From the interview:

Dawkins said, “Science. There are two sexes. You can talk about gender, if you wish. That’s a subjective—I’m not interested in that. As a biologist, there are two sexes and that’s all there is to it. … Sex really is binary.”

I read about this weeks ago. 

He is saying that regarding the sciences, sex is sex and pronouns don't matter. He feels it is very silly to apply pronouns to a biological study. 

Which I don't think too many people would disagree with. It's from a study perspective, not social. 

And he's very clear that he is not talking about gender. 

The right wing slant is not a clear picture of the situation.

It never is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Some of those karyotypes can have male genitals but female reproductive organs, or other such abnormalities. It's not always an either/or situation.

Infertility is irrelevant when determining sex.  Just because the formation of a body has gone haywire and produced an abnormality doesn't mean that the affected individual isn't one sex or the other.  Does an infertile man or woman with defective reproductive organs cease being their sex?  Of course not.  Same difference.

Edited by Alchopwn

On 3/17/2023 at 3:14 PM, Desertrat56 said:

Shouted Down?   What are you referring to?

The media assault on DeSantis and the Florida legislature passing a law in Florida that the majority in Florida approve of.  This is all about media being used for propaganda with the intent of damaging the political future of a politician who disagrees with their agenda.  The very descriptor - "DON'T SAY GAY" is an abject, blatant lie on the part of national media in service of shouting their opposition down.  DeSantis was elected to lead and he won by a huge majority.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Michelle said:

Richard Dawkins declares there are only two sexes as matter of science: 'That's all there is to it'

It is progress that conservatives now recognize an atheist as an authority on sex.   Do they value his opinion on God as well?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, and-then said:

The media assault on DeSantis and the Florida legislature passing a law in Florida that the majority in Florida approve of.  This is all about media being used for propaganda with the intent of damaging the political future of a politician who disagrees with their agenda.  The very descriptor - "DON'T SAY GAY" is an abject, blatant lie on the part of national media in service of shouting their opposition down.  DeSantis was elected to lead and he won by a huge majority.  

Why do you still pay attention to the media?  It always upsets you and it is always skewed to upset you and anyone else who has similar fears as yours.  There are other channels that skew the stories to upset people at the other end of the spectrum.  You need to get away from any media, take a break, fast from the computer, cell phone and television for one week and see if you feel better.   

Also, are you in Florida?   There is no way for you to really know what the  majority of Floridians want or think.   Most of them are retired NJ mobsters.  (ha ha, I can stereo type too).  For the most part I don't think young people (who this story seems to come from) stay in Florida, they come to visit, but they can't make money in Florida so they live elsewhere.   Can you even think on your own for one minute?

If I am wrong I hope @the13bats will let me know.

7 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

It is progress that conservatives now recognize an atheist as an authority on sex.   Do they value his opinion on God as well?

Me being agnostic and politically independent you'd have to ask them. I don't pretend to be a mind reader. Besides, people in different ethnic, religious or political groups are't carbon copies of each other. It's bigotry to think they are.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Infertility is irrelevant when determining sex.  Just because the formation of a body has gone haywire and produced an abnormality doesn't mean that the affected individual isn't one sex or the other.  Does an infertile man or woman with defective reproductive organs cease being their sex?  Of course not.  Same difference.

Not all intersexed chromosomal differences result in infertility. 

• Like 1