Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Braverman says first flight taking migrants to Rwanda could take off 'shortly'

pellinore

What I can't understand is how Rwanda is able to accept several thousands of people easily, yet the UK government is completely unable even to process them and is putting them up in hotels and B&Bs. 

Surely the simplest, cheapest and most practical way forward would be to ask the Rwanda government for advice on how it is done?  They could invite Rwanda Govt representatives to give a talk in the HofC- job done!

It would save the UK millions (less my cut for the advice).

Ms Braverman told how Rwanda has the capacity to resettle several thousands of people who arrive in the UK.

She said: “I am visiting Rwanda this weekend to reinforce the Government’s commitment to the partnership as part of our plan to stop the boats and discuss plans to operationalise our agreement shortly.

“The suggestion that Rwanda can only take 200 people is a completely false narrative peddled by critics who want to scrap the deal.

Suella Braverman says first flight taking migrants to Rwanda could take off 'shortly' | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

Edited by pellinore

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pellinore

• bmk1245

• itsnotoutthere

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, pellinore said:

What I can't understand is how Rwanda is able to accept several thousands of people easily, yet the UK government is completely unable even to process them and is putting them up in hotels and B&Bs. 

Surely the simplest, cheapest and most practical way forward would be to ask the Rwanda government for advice on how it is done?  They could invite Rwanda Govt representatives to give a talk in the HofC- job done!

[...]

How? Build few hundred shacks, and put fence around... Toilet - hole in the ground... Water from nearest pond/river brought by truck...

Or do you think in Rwanda they will be placed in hotels, and will have same meals as in UK?

BTW how cold is in Rwanda in winter...

11 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

How? Build few hundred shacks, and put fence around... Toilet - hole in the ground... Water from nearest pond/river brought by truck...

Lol! I don't think that is how refugees and asylum seekers are supposed to be treated under international law when they appeal to a First World Country.

43 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Lol! I don't think that is how refugees and asylum seekers are supposed to be treated under international law when they appeal to a First World Country.

No, but thats the answer from Rwandan you'd get (if he honest) to your question.

But ok, they probably won't live in squalid conditions I described, but sure as hell locals won't be dancing around them filling any whim "Don't like food we give you? Make it yourselves", etc

Edited by bmk1245

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

No, but thats the answer from Rwandan you'd get (if he honest) to your question.

But ok, they probably won't live in squalid conditions I described, but sure as hell locals won't be dancing around them filling any whim "Don't like food we give you? Make it yourselves", etc

I'm sure I've heard a million times if I've heard it once: asylum seekers should stay in the first country they make an application to.They have made an application to the UK, I presume, that's why they are our responsibility.

4 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Here is an article on the accommodation they should be provided with (Telegraph article):

UK taxpayers are helping fund new apartments for asylum seekers in Rwanda, it has emerged as Suella Braverman makes her first visit to the country this weekend.

Rwanda has previously only showcased reception accommodation centres such as Hope Hostel in Kigali, the capital, but has now begun work on long-term accommodation for migrants deported from the UK to seek asylum in the central African state.

UK taxpayers helping fund Rwanda apartments for asylum seekers (archive.is)

Edited by pellinore

18 hours ago, pellinore said:

Here is an article on the accommodation they should be provided with (Telegraph article):

UK taxpayers are helping fund new apartments for asylum seekers in Rwanda, it has emerged as Suella Braverman makes her first visit to the country this weekend.

Rwanda has previously only showcased reception accommodation centres such as Hope Hostel in Kigali, the capital, but has now begun work on long-term accommodation for migrants deported from the UK to seek asylum in the central African state.

UK taxpayers helping fund Rwanda apartments for asylum seekers (archive.is)

Hope Hostel in Kigali can accomodate ~100 people not thousands.

Anyway, how it will pan out to be seen.

Iranian man who raped his lodger in London 'can't be deported in case he is persecuted in his homeland for being a convicted rapist'

A Iranian rapist has won the right to stay in the UK after a judge decided he would face persecution in his native country, a report states.

Despite apparently lying about being a former employee of MI5, his appeal against deportation was successful.

The immigration tribunal was told that the man first entered Britain in 1992 as a student, The Sun reports.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11877091/Convicted-rapist-fighting-deportation-allowed-stay-Britain-crime-judge-rules.html

:hmm: