Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A decorated former US F-16 pilot says he would fly fighter jets for Ukraine: 'You can count on me,'

Grim Reaper 6

Dan Hampton, a retired lieutenant colonel known as the US Air Force's "deadliest F-16 pilot," said he was ready to fly planes for the Ukraine military himself if necessary in an interview with Voices of America.

The highly decorated pilot, known as "Two Dogs," spent 20 years in the Air Force, fought in the Persian Gulf, Kosovo, and Iraq wars, and is a New York Times bestselling author for his memoirs from his time in the military.  Speaking from a base in Arizona, Hampton discussed his thoughts in the long-form interview on training F-16 pilots to fight in the Ukraine war, the advantages of using the jets, and whether the Ukraine government should hire private pilots as the war continues into its second year. The F-16, a US single-seat fighter jet, is in the news after President Joe Biden recently said he would not supply the planes to Ukraine for the time being. Both Democratic and Republican Senators, however, have pushed the Pentagon to send the jets that "could prove to be a game changer on the battlefield," per Politico. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-decorated-former-us-f-16-pilot-says-he-would-fly-fighter-jets-for-ukraine-you-can-count-on-me-he-told-a-voa-interview/ar-AA18NsOK?ocid=Peregrine&cvid=28902bae5613481292e6138ee9f624e9&ei=42

And the lines keep becoming more blurrrred, every day.  I respect this veteran's willingness to risk his life in this venture.  An awful lot of American pilots and trainees did the same thing in both world wars.  BUT... if stories like this hit the news and a couple of months from now we begin seeing reports that significant numbers of western fighter aircraft are in combat over Ukraine then I'd say the Russians would have a valid "concern" that actual NATO flyers were engaged against Russian forces in the theatre.  

THIIIS is what's known as escalation.  And the part that's MOST fun?  BOTH combatants get to do it.  :yes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, and-then said:

And the lines keep becoming more blurrrred, every day.  I respect this veteran's willingness to risk his life in this venture.  An awful lot of American pilots and trainees did the same thing in both world wars.  BUT... if stories like this hit the news and a couple of months from now we begin seeing reports that significant numbers of western fighter aircraft are in combat over Ukraine then I'd say the Russians would have a valid "concern" that actual NATO flyers were engaged against Russian forces in the theatre.  

THIIIS is what's known as escalation.  And the part that's MOST fun?  BOTH combatants get to do it.  :yes:

Indeed it is.  Kind of scary, but then when America was great, we were at war all over the place. Do we have to start a war to prove we are macho and great again?

• Like 2

And when one of these pilots are captured… who pays the ransom? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the U.S. doesn’t engage Russia directly, soon, Trump will disengage, if he is elected. Putin is likely counting on that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, and-then said:

I think the Russians have a valid concern now, but escalation no isn’t because he is no longer on a give duty he is civilians pk

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

If the U.S. doesn’t engage Russia directly, soon, Trump will disengage, if he is elected. Putin is likely counting on that.

You reckon Trump will pull out before firing off?

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

And when one of these pilots are captured… who pays the ransom? 

These are  civilian pilots and since they are Ex military they know the score. So, I doubt seriously that they will ever be taken alive it just goes.with territory, sadly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You reckon Trump will pull out before firing off?

“firing off?”

Well, we see that the lines of the war have gotten pretty stuck now but that Russia are slowly advancing at Bakhmut so Ukraine can need all the military help they can get.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, and-then said:

You really do love Russia and hate the US.  Pathetic.  And that's the part that's the most fun?  Where'd you learn that from?  A movie?  Cause your weak self never served.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Agent0range said:

You really do love Russia and hate the US.  Pathetic.  And that's the part that's the most fun?  Where'd you learn that from?  A movie?  Cause your weak self never served.

It's unusual for an American, I agree.  Anyone who has served, or who has had close family members that have, would find this tone, offensive. I certainly do, but he offends me all the time. It's more of a troll-type behavior, than anti-American, I suspect, but you may be more observant than I am.

I've never blocked him, because he's smart. I don't block smart people here, even if they pizz me off.

Edited by Raptor Witness