Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this evidence of God's power?

pellinore

29 minutes ago, Ell said:

It isn't obvious to me.

Maybe onehundredtwenty billion years from now in a dry dry universe an odd being desired a drop of rain and in response the Divine retroactively twenty billion years ago introduced a universal law of physics that enabled hurricanes to arise.

Maybe Elmer Fudd did it, it’s just as valid an hypothesis. 

cormac

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Thanks.  I am examining a logical course of action, is there any point in considering or depending on God to influence life outcomes? 

Predictability is not limited to human action.  I can depend on sunrise, the seasons, the tides, the growth of seeds and the behavior of  the elements that make up our world.  I can make decisions and integrate my actions based on my understanding of these components that make up human experience.

Of course, the argument can be made that it is really the fault of the guy that lost all of his fingers due to a choice he made in the past present or future.  If he does not know when or what choice he made, it does him little good to be told it is cause and effect.   I can't refute the statement as I  do think personal responsibility is at play, and I know some people use their free will to make dumb decisions that lead to injury and death.

If God sometimes helps and sometimes not then there is no justification for me to predict God's actions.  I have to design my life without consideration for what God might do.

That does not prove or disprove the existence of God, just that God seems unreliable  as a source of aid.   Maybe  Loki or Native American Coyote are good models for God behavior.

I agree.

17 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

We weren't talking about 'odd beings', we are talking about our free will.  What part of your free will is interfered with if today the Divine eliminated the possibility of tornadoes, you would no longer have the ability to will what exactly?  Nothing of course, since you no more have the ability to conjure, affect, or eliminate tornadoes using your own free will than you do to fly around like Superman.  Nobody says though that the inability to fly like Superman is interfering with our free will, free will doesn't require that we be able to do anything we want despite the limits of our capabilities.

Have you tried?

Have you been in the Sahara and wished to meet a polar bear?

Maybe you wished for the impossible?

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Thanks.  I am examining a logical course of action, is there any point in considering or depending on God to influence life outcomes? 

Predictability is not limited to human action.  I can depend on sunrise, the seasons, the tides, the growth of seeds and the behavior of  the elements that make up our world.  I can make decisions and integrate my actions based on my understanding of these components that make up human experience.

Of course, the argument can be made that it is really the fault of the guy that lost all of his fingers due to a choice he made in the past present or future.  If he does not know when or what choice he made, it does him little good to be told it is cause and effect.   I can't refute the statement as I  do think personal responsibility is at play, and I know some people use their free will to make dumb decisions that lead to injury and death.

If God sometimes helps and sometimes not then there is no justification for me to predict God's actions.  I have to design my life without consideration for what God might do.

That does not prove or disprove the existence of God, just that God seems unreliable  as a source of aid.   Maybe  Loki or Native American Coyote are good models for God behavior.

If you want help from God, Lady Luck is as good a model as any. That's how things seem to work, unless you just want God to inspire you to get things done. If so, it is your Faith that made you whole.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Thanks 3

On 3/20/2023 at 3:50 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

While, within the doctrine of faith, proof denies faith in reality Jesus DID do miracles in order to prove that he was the fulfilment of prophesy. 

Which miracles did Jesus perform that were not just recaps of ceremonies performed at Cumran?

Doug

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

Which miracles did Jesus perform that were not just recaps of ceremonies performed at Cumran?

Doug

Never having to pay for a round of drinks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4