Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Surprisingly simple explanation for alien comet ‘Oumuamua’s weird orbit

Waspie_Dwarf

Surprisingly simple explanation for alien comet ‘Oumuamua’s weird orbit

In 2017, a mysterious comet dubbed ‘Oumuamua fired the imaginations of scientists and the public alike. It was the first known visitor from outside our solar system, it had no bright coma or dust tail, like most comets, and a peculiar shape — something between a cigar and a pancake — and its small size more befitted an asteroid than a comet.

But the fact that it was accelerating away from the sun in a way that astronomers could not explain perplexed scientists, leading some to suggest that it was an alien spaceship.

Read More: University of California, Berkley

Related stories:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

That makes sense.  I still would like to think it's a galactic derelict spacecraft possibly built by intelligent aliens millions or billions of years ago.  

• Like 1

Outgassing of hydrogen as it heats up seems expected.  Still, kind of like firing directional jets for course correction.

Now I'm not sayin' this except for fun, but maybe somebody moved the  right sized pocket of ice  to the right side at the right time to head off to the next stop.

• Like 1

Honestly, even if it was an artificial spacecraft, it'd be difficult to identify as one.

But, that isn't very likely probably.

I'm a big UFO buff but I have never had one moment where I considered Oumuamua to be an intelligently crafted cruise ship. Ridiculous.

At the rate that this object travels, it would take thousands of years to go from star to star. Not an intelligent way to travel, IMO

On 3/23/2023 at 2:55 PM, OverSword said:

That makes sense.  I still would like to think it's a galactic derelict spacecraft possibly built by intelligent aliens millions or billions of years ago.  

Doomsday.jpg.3b4479a8b253e3f4e1f2096c15f1fed9.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2023 at 10:40 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I'm a big UFO buff but I have never had one moment where I considered Oumuamua to be an intelligently crafted cruise ship. Ridiculous.

At the rate that this object travels, it would take thousands of years to go from star to star. Not an intelligent way to travel, IMO

Unless it was a life bottle , one to seed planets with life originating from far away, or maybe even traveller's in  cryogenic sleep or who knows , a message in the bottle like voyager carries.