Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

18 countries sent sharpshooters to a US military base in Germany to see who has the best sniper team

Grim Reaper 6

Every year, the best snipers from around Europe show up in a US military base in Germany to determine who has the best sniper team on the continent. Last year, the European Best Sniper Team Competition, hosted by the US Army, had one of its largest events ever against the backdrop of Russia's attack on Ukraine, which has shown that sniper operations are as important as ever. In total, 36 teams from 18 NATO allies and partner countries put their marksmanship skills to the test during 11 days of events. Several of the teams came from special-operations units.

The organizers tailored the competition to be practical and packed it with challenges inspired by real-world battles. The event took place at Hohenfels Training Area in Germany, where the US Army's 7th Army Training Command oversees US and international exercises. The teams completed events that included aerial shooting, moving targets, high-angle targets, unknown-distance targets, and trench warfare. The sniper teams were also tested on targeting, stalking, small-arms marksmanship, and nighttime operations.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/18-countries-sent-sharpshooters-to-a-us-military-base-in-germany-to-see-who-has-the-best-sniper-team-in-europe/ar-AA18XolP?cvid=490815d759ba4a4c951e841243d5aace&ei=14

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd LOVE to attend one of those events!  I briefly was part of Service Rifle competitions near my home.  I was never great shakes but it was fascinating to just be part of the whole process.  We fired three separate events - 200 yds standing, non-supported.  400 yds Kneeling, supported with sling.  Finally, 600 yds prone with sling.  All of the ranges were iron-sights only!  The bullseye on that 600 yd element was THREE FEET ACROSS :) 

At that distance, it looked like the head of a pin ;)   I also enjoyed working the pit, marking targets to show the shooters where their rounds hit.  We were protected by a 12 ft berm and we raised and lowered the targets with a simple counter-weight device.  I'll never forget the sound of those rounds coming down range.  They called it the "supersonic snap" and it was!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, and-then said:

I'd LOVE to attend one of those events!  I briefly was part of Service Rifle competitions near my home.  I was never great shakes but it was fascinating to just be part of the whole process.  We fired three separate events - 200 yds standing, non-supported.  400 yds Kneeling, supported with sling.  Finally, 600 yds prone with sling.  All of the ranges were iron-sights only!  The bullseye on that 600 yd element was THREE FEET ACROSS :) 

At that distance, it looked like the head of a pin ;)   I also enjoyed working the pit, marking targets to show the shooters where their rounds hit.  We were protected by a 12 ft berm and we raised and lowered the targets with a simple counter-weight device.  I'll never forget the sound of those rounds coming down range.  They called it the "supersonic snap" and it was!  

I never participated in an event like this, but like you I wish I could have however because of my MOS that would have never been possible. I own two Sniper Rifles, I have a M24 Sniper Rifle, Semiautomatic 7.62  cal and a M82A1 Barrett Semiautomatic 50 cal. The Barrett has a maximum effect range of 1500 meters, yet with the proper aiming technique 2000+ meters plus is easily obtainable with 95% hit ratio. I bought my Barrett in the 1990s for $3900, today the exact same rifle is approximately $8000 and even at that price I would recommend this rifle to anyone who enjoys marksmanship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in the 90s I purchased an AR-15 lower and sent it to a custom gunsmith to work on the trigger and to create a Krieger stainless steel heavy barrel.  I even got into reloading.  I loved the sport.  I remember being proud of myself because I could hit a bullseye from 600 yards.  That target was three feet across :D.  I really enjoyed it.

4 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

The Barrett has a maximum effect range of 1500 meters, yet with the proper aiming technique 2000+ meters plus is easily obtainable with 95% hit ratio.

I've never fired a Barrett, but my nephew has a friend who brings one over, occasionally and we shoot on their property.  Next time he comes, I'm going to have a go :) 

ETA:  I also want to take a trip up to Ohio and watch the annual competition at Camp Perry.  That event hosts some of the best marksmen in the nation, civilian and military. 

Edited by and-then
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, and-then said:

I've never fired a Barrett, but my nephew has a friend who brings one over, occasionally and we shoot on their property.  Next time he comes, I'm going to have a go :) 

I know for certain you will love it, there is no better 50 Cal Semiautomatic rifle, for accuracy, stability, and reduced recoil made anywhere in the world today.:tu:

There is only one major problem with the Barrett, once you fire it, you will have a overwhelming desire to own one!:lol:

Q: If a soldier falls in a forest and nobody hears it, does it make a sound?  

A: Ask the sniper.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Q: If a soldier falls in a forest and nobody hears it, does it make a sound?  

A: Ask the sniper.

Yea, was certainly true in the old days. But, these days 1500-2000 meters you may not hear a sound at all. But, with the fantastic scopes these the sniper will still know with certainty if he it the target or not!:tu: